• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Expanding the Quiver 2021 (Midwest/West, second time ski-buyer recommendations)

TS
S

smokeythedog

Booting up
Skier
If you're going to buy a deep snow ski and a carving ski, buy a ~108 mm pair and a ~70 mm pair; don't buy two compromise skis. Buy one compromise ski if you like, but getting an 82 mm and a 96 mm ski would be like switching between all-weather and all-season tire. No, if you want switch between summer and winter rubber you buy Studded Nokian Hakkapelita (R3 if studs are not allowed where you live or if you don't see ice often enough to justify the studs) and Michelin Pilots or similar.

Totally agree Francois, I wouldn't get much versatility out of that. I'm considering either a 70-75mm frontside ski with the Rustler 9 and Enforcer 94, or something like the Deacon 84 or Enforcer 99 paired with the Enforcer 104 Free. I just need to decide if Enforcer 94 is going to be wide enough, or if the 104 Free is going to be necessary.

TS
S

smokeythedog

Booting up
Skier
I have had a Head Kore 93 as my daily driver soft snow western ski for the past two seasons. I love the superlight weight, yet they are stiff and damp.

I have had no problems skiing powder and cut up snow with the Kore 93s however they are a bit of work for this old guy in foot deep+, so last season I demoed Black Crows Altris (108 wide and very light weight). They were so good that they forced me to buy a pair.:ogbiggrin:

I also have an old pair of Kästle MX83s for when it hasn't snowed in a week or so and things have firmed up.

My suggestion is to buy a new mid 90s or high 80s wide daily driver and then look to get a used wider pow and used narrow carver ski if the budget allows.

I'll give it some thought! I'm hoping I can demo a Kore 93, Enforcer 88, 94, and 104, and the Rustler 10s. I'm not sold that I'd need 105mm underfoot for all-mountain skiing but I may be wrong, either way the mid-90mm options are pretty attractive.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’d get one ski around 88-94mm underfoot, and another in the mid 100’s. Two such skis will cover everything you see in the west.

unless you’re planning to do beer league racing or really spend lots and lots of time skiing firm groomers I personally don’t see any point in a ski with a waist below 80mm underfoot. An 88mm underfoot will essentially carve anything, but offer all mountain versatllility.

If it was me I’d be choosing:

Narrower ski

Either the Blizzard Brahma 88 or Nordica Enforcer 94

Wider ski

Nordica Enforcer Free 104

Either would be a sound choice. You’d cover more field with the 88 and 104, with the 88 covering icier days better. The 94 would cover more days and be your daily driver, with more compromise on very firm days.

If you got the 88 I reckon you’d ski it 50% of the time, with the 104 the balance.

If you got the 94 it would be your daily driver and cover 80% of days, with the 104 the balance,