• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Expert vs. Beginner skis

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
you're looking at gear to solve a problem that may or may not exist and may or may not have the root cause you think it does

That is just the norm for this forum.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That is just the norm for this forum.

To the OP-don’t listen to this guy! If it was up to him we‘d be all on FIS SL skis, spending our days doing drills with the aim of becoming technically excellent skiers who can ski everything on FIS SL skis.
Where is the fun in that I am asking? :roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
To the OP-don’t listen to this guy! If it was up to him we‘d be all on FIS SL skis, spending our days doing drills with the aim of becoming technically excellent skiers who can ski everything on FIS SL skis.
If you skied with @KingGrump, I think you'd see the fun!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
people that ski FIS SL as a reacreational ski very well, are insane skiers for everything else though.

I'm just to fat/lazy/like to mix it up to ski SL every day, 18-19M or 20M+ skis.. ohhhhhhh yes. skied 35M turns on pow on steep this weekend, and last week. nothing like skiiing 60-70kmh on freshies that makes you float

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:D this goes for all sports!

but with skis I feel the difference in skis are much greater than other sports and sports equipment and you can really buy skis that excel per conditions

Please, please do not take up fly fishing!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Dude, this lack of snow at your part of the world is affecting your head. My sympathies.

I haven't done stupid human tricks drills for decade plus. I am very comfort with my skiing. Do not have a requirement for incessant improvement.

Why am I often on a FIS SL? That's the ski that puts the biggest smile on my face for a particular condition. I do spent about 25% of my ski days on a FIS SL. Usually early season NE and spring skiing in CA.
The usual for early season NE is man made and boiler plate. Perfect conditions for FIS SL.
A pair of FIS SL for spring skiing at PT and Mammoth late April through May just feels right. Light and lively. I have 10x & 11x in my van. Skiing those in the heavy spring mush is like driving a LCAC on the beach. But it does require a decent skillset.

My suggestion is for you to cash in your retirement account and hop a flight across the pound and go to either the Taos or National gathering. We can show you what fun is. It is definitely not mach schnell down the groomers.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dude, this lack of snow at your part of the world is affecting your head. My sympathies.

I haven't done stupid human tricks drills for decade plus. I am very comfort with my skiing. Do not have a requirement for incessant improvement.

Why am I often on a FIS SL? That's the ski that puts the biggest smile on my face for a particular condition. I do spent about 25% of my ski days on a FIS SL. Usually early season NE and spring skiing in CA.
The usual for early season NE is man made and boiler plate. Perfect conditions for FIS SL.
A pair of FIS SL for spring skiing at PT and Mammoth late April through May just feels right. Light and lively. I have 10x & 11x in my van. Skiing those in the heavy spring mush is like driving a LCAC on the beach. But it does require a decent skillset.

My suggestion is for you to cash in your retirement account and hop a flight across the pound and go to either the Taos or National gathering. We can show you what fun is. It is definitely not mach schnell down the groomers.

:ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

You need to read more carefully. Here:

with the aim of becoming technically excellent skiers who can ski everything on FIS SL skis.

1673974399792.png

On a completely unrelated and more serious note, today I got to handle a bit a pair of 165 FIS SL Redsters with XVar on them. These things are STIFFFF! Stiffer than my Rossi FIS SL for sure. Immovable object stiff. These are gonna be a handful.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Expert/advanced skis come alive at higher speeds and higher tipping angles. Their design is tuned to perform better at these higher levels of performance. Skiing them at slow speeds and with small tipping angles - they will feel sort of dead and boring. You will need some speed and precision to bend them on a green run.

Beginner/intermediate skis will come alive at lower speeds and tipping angles. Skied at higher speeds and loaded more heavily, they will start to feel 'wobbly' or 'noodly' and lose grip. They may start to skid a bit and drop out of a carve when overloaded. But they will feel responsive on a green at low speed without punishing mistakes.

Thing is - there are a lot of people with low skills skiing fast and out of control, or flailing their way down steeper terrain. They may prefer advanced/expert skis for the stability at speed without every really using the full potential of their skis.

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Expert/advanced skis come alive at higher speeds and higher tipping angles. Their design is tuned to perform better at these higher levels of performance. Skiing them at slow speeds and with small tipping angles - they will feel sort of dead and boring. You will need some speed and precision to bend them on a green run.

Beginner/intermediate skis will come alive at lower speeds and tipping angles. Skied at higher speeds and loaded more heavily, they will start to feel 'wobbly' or 'noodly' and lose grip. They may start to skid a bit and drop out of a carve when overloaded. But they will feel responsive on a green at low speed without punishing mistakes.

Thing is - there are a lot of people with low skills skiing fast and out of control, or flailing their way down steeper terrain. They may prefer advanced/expert skis for the stability at speed without every really using the full potential of their skis.
I think I get it now. Looking at the BC Vertis which have a lot of flex... Will try to demo them (shop here has them) and compare to Divus.... Bring both to the slopes and spend an hour on each, swapping them out. Try out specific slopes, speeds, technical work, etc...

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
The big con (I think) to using expert/advanced when you aren't there yet (or tend to ski slower than most) is that getting them to bend/carve takes higher level of commitment from the skier. And they may hook up so abruptly that you get shot out of the turn or fall. You have to make a greater leap of faith and at a higher speed or steepness than you are comfortable with and then be ready for the feedback that happens next. The intermediate skis will start to bend and carve at lower angles and speeds and give feedback earlier in the process. Less energy in, less energy out to manage, good for training skills at lower speeds. So they are better for learning basics, lighter weight skiers, or those who don't want to ski super fast all the time.

Skis I have been on seem to have a preferred steepness, speed, turn cadence, and radius where they really 'hum.' Where they have pop and seem happiest. Pick something that 'hums' the way you like to ski.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me first get used to the Rossis and if I live till next season, I will try one of those ugly-tipped red skis.

Don't bad mouth the nose pickers. They make the skis. Had a pair of 2020 model. No nose pickers, just not he same. :ogbiggrin:

If a short fat old guy like me can ride a pair. It should be a piece of cake for a young buck like you. :beercheer:

TS
GA49

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is there a reason you’re restricting yourself only to Black Crows?
No, I'm open to suggestions for sure, especially because if I end up getting them after the season BCs are a little pricey.

I actually thought I'd be getting something else but the ski place near me said they have a crap load of BCs in their demo stock.

James

Out There
Instructor
Let me first get used to the Rossis and if I live till next season, I will try one of those ugly-tipped red skis.
Cut those nose pickers right off with this saw. Plenty of racers hate those things.
8EE6883C-D2D4-4564-B3A7-E195AF4E3754.jpeg

Besides, 2024 Atomics drop the nose pickers for a Boa…