• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FAA approved travel cases for skis

myates1986

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'll be flying commercial with my skis for the first time in January. My local ski shop recommended these hard shell adjustable travel tubes for transport. They look great for what I need, however they cost more than what I was hoping to spend. Wanted to ask a few questions:

1.) Is there a general preference for soft or hard shell cases for air travel?
2.) Are the bindings at more of risk for being compromised or damaged with a soft shell case?
3.) Does being FAA approved significantly increase the price of either style case?

I'm new to this so thanks in advance for all advice and direction.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I see about 100 soft cases for every hard shell when I travel.

Get one with wheels... Unless this is just a one-time thing. In that case get the cheapest sleeve you can find.

PS. There are plenty of threads about ski bags somewhere around here.

TS
M

myates1986

Skier
I see about 100 soft cases for every hard shell when I travel.

Get one with wheels... Unless this is just a one-time thing. In that case get the cheapest sleeve you can find.

PS. There are plenty of threads about ski bags somewhere around here.

Thank you

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While hard cases are great in theory, they aare heavy (you are allowed 50lb and some of these are close to 20lb) and they are tough to pack. One of our favorites...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've always used soft shell, no troubles. I wrap my skiis in fleeces and underwear to try to prevent damage. I think airlines even specifically state no soft shells but I think it's mostly for damage reasons. I've never been questioned on it.

Reactions: BMC

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I have a soft shell and have had no issues with it ... yet. One issue with hard shells is related to TSA inspection. When they inspect it, they don't always put it back together correctly - at least per reports on skitalk.com . So the idea that the hard shell case is more protective is not necessarily true since that theory relies on the assumption that the case stays closed throughout the journey. My soft shell has been inspected >95% of the time. I can't remember a time when it didn't have the paper slip in there.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In >20 years of flying with soft bags, I've lost one binding heelpiece, one system rail, one bag with a ground-in 4 inch hole and tip damage to the skis. The biggest replacement cost has been of wheel/axle combos, strap buckles and snaps.

It is true that I mostly fly with a certain airline that has a generous ski allowance, and I've been pissed off at them several tens of times, but I can't honestly tell you that they're worse than others.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a soft shell and have had no issues with it ... yet. One issue with hard shells is related to TSA inspection. When they inspect it, they don't always put it back together correctly - at least per reports on SkiTalk.com . So the idea that the hard shell case is more protective is not necessarily true since that theory relies on the assumption that the case stays closed throughout the journey. My soft shell has been inspected >95% of the time. I can't remember a time when it didn't have the paper slip in there.
This is a good point. Also, because of the TSA inspection, you really can’t stuff it with extras as you can a soft shell. I’ve flown with both. The hard shell is a PITA at first to pack skis in; it’s easier the second time round, etc. The skis are packed binding-to-binding with the brakes retracted via rubber bands, instead of base-to-base. That makes it a little tricker to put in your poles.

Last trip I used my soft case. I was able to put in some extra base layer stuff in there, and skis were just fine. One the way home, somehow, I had a bunch of extra stuff (ask @Philpug about this, LOL) and I was able to fit everything into the soft case along with my skis and poles, easily. I did end up losing the wheels on that bag by the end of my journey, but…there had been a bit of damage at that end prior to that trip.

Right now my hard shell case is used to store a pair of skis and I’m thinking of buying the double Kulkea bag for my trips this winter.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve got a soft shell with wheels. I use a pool noodle on the edges and wrap the bindings with clothes. I do use a Tsa lock on it. Have not had an issue"

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For the ski packing, i use a beach towel as it is also helpful at destination to wipe down as needed; or use as a groundcloth

TS
M

myates1986

Skier
I have a soft shell and have had no issues with it ... yet. One issue with hard shells is related to TSA inspection. When they inspect it, they don't always put it back together correctly - at least per reports on SkiTalk.com . So the idea that the hard shell case is more protective is not necessarily true since that theory relies on the assumption that the case stays closed throughout the journey. My soft shell has been inspected >95% of the time. I can't remember a time when it didn't have the paper slip in there.
I was unware that TSA opened up the cases. So does a TSA approved lock mean that TSA agents can open them?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really dont see the point in the lock anymore as 1) tsa has to open 2) a tsa key can be obtained relatively easily in the not even shady corners of the internet 3) if someone is going to take the risk of stealing stuff they'd actually target locked bags as a signal it has something of greater value vs my change of clothes and used Sonicare.

I see a lock now as actually a liability that it may also cause your bag to get delayed if there's some problem with the lock and they hold your bag back as well as point (3) I mentioned above.

If you are worried about theft, someone outside the tsa chain is more likely to just steal your whole bag and walk out with it.

Last edited:

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
Does the Kulkea double roller feel out of balance with only one pair of skis?

I have a single sport tube with wheels. I wrap the skis and poles with a beach towel then secured with velcro ties. That makes a single unit sliding in and out of the tube much easier. I don’t bother with a TSA lock. Maybe I’m lucky but TSA has always put the closing pin back on properly. I tie the pin to the case so it can’t get lost.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i think the balance issues wont be as bad esp. as you can use those straps to tighten it down 1ski in each slot.. However where it may get squirmy is if your ski length doesnt fully match the baglength and there's a whole lot of empty fabric without the ski to give rigidity.

That being said when I take a single ski, i just use a ski sleeve and carry it with shoulder strap, you dont necessary need wheels when traveling with a single ski. (But I suppose this is revealing i got a quiver of ski bags)

Last edited:

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really dont see the point in the lock anymore as 1) tsa has to open 2) a tsa key can be obtained relatively easily in the not even shady corners of the internet 3) if someone is going to take the risk of stealing stuff they'd actually target locked bags as a signal it has something of greater value vs my change of clothes and used Sonicare.

I see a lock now as actually a liability that it may also cause your bag to get delayed if there's some problem with the lock and they hold your bag back as well as point (3) I mentioned above.

If you are worried about theft, someone outside the tsa chain is more likely to just steal your whole bag and walk out with it.
Agreed about the key, the locks don’t do much. I use them the keep the zippers together so nothing falls out. It’s a cloth bag so a knife is the ultimate key with those. In 20+ years of travel, I’ve been called out once for an issue with a checked item and had to leave the gate to get it resolved and it wasn’t a lock issue.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
For years DH and I used double ski bags. We would put bulky stuff in with the skis. 2009 I was suppose to go with the Ski Diva's to Colorado. Family member died, so didn't make it. So I went the Mother's Day A-Basin trip. Air Canada at that time was hard case only for all sports equipment. So not just skis, golf clubs too. So I bought a single Sport tube. No problem to Denver. On the way back to Toronto, TSA opened the tube and just sort of missed on the put together. Nice slice right on the base where the tip protector meets on one skis. Fixable but not happy.

I've used the tube many times. I had a hard time getting my Temptation 88's into for the Whistler trip in 2017. So I may have to go back to a padded bag. Bags can rip, so I like the protection of the tube.

As for locks, just like any lock, they keep the honest people out.

Sponsor

Staff online