• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FAA approved travel cases for skis

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Air Canada at that time was hard case only for all sports equipment.
They had that policy on their website when we went to the Whistler Gathering. I worried a bit but decided it was probably a CYA clause to limit liability for damage. I used my soft bag with no problems. In fact, I didn't see any hard cases at luggage claim, either.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only ever had a single SportTube and like it for not sagging, being a little easier to maneuver, and the security. But I've never thought there would be much problem if I went with a soft bag, as most bags you see are soft-side.

Maybe I’m lucky but TSA has always put the closing pin back on properly.

I've only had them miss the pin once... the very first time I used it. I was wheeling along, and all of the sudden I only had half the case and the other half with my skis was behind me. I always have some rope or ties, so I just tied it back together. I always glance at the pin when picking it up from baggage claim now though. I haven't had that happen again since, probably 20-30 trips.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They had that policy on their website when we went to the Whistler Gathering. I worried a bit but decided it was probably a CYA clause to limit liability for damage. I used my soft bag with no problems. In fact, I didn't see any hard cases at luggage claim, either.
yea i would agree. what I've observed is if you come with minorly "incorrect" baggage or they are in extra cya mode for some reason: they aren't going reject you out to the street, they will most likely just ask you to sign an additional damage waiver form at the bag check in.
Even if your luggage is borderline inappropriate like has holes and fabric failing, ive seen them try to accommodate by putting it in a plastic bag and then saying to sign the form.

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier
I've always used a sportube. I used to check it with Southwest when flying to Utah, but now I just FedEx it to the local FedEx location so I don't have to worry about the airlines losing it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just ordered the single for $71 total. Free shipping, no tax. Great deal.
I've got one and it is huge. It could easily hold 2 pairs of skis and still have room left over but it would be heavy to carry without wheels. The padding is really good and with some clothes stuffed in around my skis I had no worries about damage during baggage handling.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
yea i would agree. what I've observed is if you come with minorly "incorrect" baggage or they are in extra cya mode for some reason: they aren't going reject you out to the street, they will most likely just ask you to sign an additional damage waiver form at the bag check in.
Even if your luggage is borderline inappropriate like has holes and fabric failing, ive seen them try to accommodate by putting it in a plastic bag and then saying to sign the form.
I travel a few times a month and have never seen a damage waiver form. They give this to you when you are checking in?

I do keep my bags in good shape. I once saw a bag come out of the shoot followed by everything that was in it. I knew I didnt want to be that person...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Transpack double bag with wheels and have flown several times with it, no issues so far. For a few trips a year it’s fine. It’s got two expansion zippers to handle different ski lengths. Sometimes I stuff a few extra items in there (helmet for instance) if I’m saving space and weight with my boot bag (which I normally carry on).

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I travel a few times a month and have never seen a damage waiver form. They give this to you when you are checking in?

I do keep my bags in good shape. I once saw a bag come out of the shoot followed by everything that was in it. I knew I didnt want to be that person...
Yes, it really depends on the state of your luggage; plus if their agents have a policy to be a stickler on it (for whatever reason, maybe they might just be asked by their corporate to put more scrutiny on this and policy may wax and wane).
Technically, it's already waived in their posted policy; but it probably saves some grief all around to just bring it up and get the waiver explicitly signed and acknowledged.

One time, the person in front of me tried to check a garbage bag as checked baggage, they didn't turn him away; they double bagged it and had him sign.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Have always travelled with a padded, wheeled, soft double. Yurp, Asia, US, CND... No issues. Only had one telemark binding squished years ago . Northwest (Delta) cut a check for a new binding pretty much right away.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Transpack double bag with wheels and have flown several times with it, no issues so far. For a few trips a year it’s fine. It’s got two expansion zippers to handle different ski lengths. Sometimes I stuff a few extra items in there (helmet for instance) if I’m saving space and weight with my boot bag (which I normally carry on).
Same here: Transpack double with wheels. It's got some padding built in. Skis are strapped together at tips and tails. Sometimes I bubble wrap the bindings, sometimes I don't. So far, no problems; skis are pretty tough even if the luggage handlers start tossing things.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
wife and I bought a couple of Atomic double bags with wheels and have used them probably a dozen times. never a issue with checking them in and have held up great. 98% of the time there is a TSA note in them but no issues. Just have to be under 50 lbs.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have always travelled with a padded, wheeled, soft double. Yurp, Asia, US, CND... No issues. Only had one telemark binding squished years ago . Northwest (Delta) cut a check for a new binding pretty much right away.

all my recent trips Delta made me sign the waiver that soft ski bags exempt them from liability for ski damage.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
all my recent trips Delta made me sign the waiver that soft ski bags exempt them from liability for ski damage.
Yep... but I've never had an issue even then.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep... but I've never had an issue even then.
Do you mean you have not had damage (neither have I), or do you mean you had damage to your skis and you had no problems getting Delta to re-emburse you for that damage?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
No damage in the past 20 years .

Sponsor

Staff online