• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FACTION SKIS AND CANDIDE THOVEX ANNOUNCE CLOSE OF 10-YEAR PARTNERSHIP

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Candide © Timo Jarvinien.png

January 17, 2022 – Verbier, Switzerland.
Winter 2021-22 marks the final season of collaboration between Faction Skis and Candide Thovex, with both parties moving on amicably to new adventures in the spring.

“On behalf of everyone at The Faction Collective, I would like to thank Candide for the incredible impact he has brought to the Faction Skis brand” says Faction CEO and Co-Founder, Alex Hoye. “Candide’s genius undoubtedly helped put Faction on the map and for that we will forever be grateful. After 10 years working together to develop award-winning skis, both parties feel we have achieved what we set out to do. Now, with exciting new adventures to explore, we head on our different paths with great memories and respect. We wish Candide nothing but the best on his journey ahead. One thing we’re sure of, the future is bright for both Candide and Faction, and that’s a pretty good sign that our relationship has been a success. Candide, thank you!”

The 2021-22 CT Signature Series is therefore confirmed as the final collection of Candide Thovex Pro Model skis by Faction, available at Faction retail partner stores across the globe and online at factionskis.com. “Candide’s vision for a freeski collection helped guide our philosophy for this series, with the final collection being undoubtedly our most exciting and high-quality range to date” notes Hoye. “As a mark of respect for the role Candide has played in the development of the brand, we will retire the CT 5.0 ski model on which he made so much history, assigning this special ski to its rightful place in freeski lore.”

After a decade of collaboration punctuated with countless ski awards, limited-edition product releases and industry innovation, Faction Skis has released a timeline of the partnership on its website. Ski fans are encouraged to scroll through and recall Faction and Candide’s most memorable moments of the past 10 years. The timeline is available at www.factionskis.com.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Talking of athlete endorsements that's one that did work (along with a crapload of capital to push volumes and distribution). But then Candide has put a lot of graft and creativity into his edits over time......

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
I am curious if CT teams up with Marcel, with the latter's brand renamed Candid Deer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think this is pretty stand up from Faction. I think about previous times that the star athlete or face of a brand and the brand parted for whatever reason, it wasn't with a press release like this.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Classy announcement.

How did they let this guy go?!

And @fatbob I at least think you meant "craft" not "graft"?

James

Out There
Instructor
I wonder if this is nearing the end of athlete “signature” skis and major endorsements. Or at least another lull. Stockli had Dominique Perret and Scott Schmidt. I think Schmidt is still sponsored by them? No signature ski though.
Kastle had a stable of park skiers with names on the skis no one cared about I guess.

No need for all caps title, it’s ten years after. Longer than the Beatles.
But then Candide has put a lot of graft and creativity into his edits over time...
Was looking forward to the story of chicanery. Instead learned a new British word.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeh, that word means 'criminal bribery' over here.
Oops - I think we'd call that grift, along with any sort of fraud/con etc but then grifter is an American (gambling?) term isn't it?

Etymology is fascinating - a word can have two simultaneous meanings - honest hard work and the opposite. Sick!

James

Out There
Instructor

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
talking of meanings and the opposite - 'fanny pack'
My wife is British and when we started dating we decided to camping. We went to REI to buy some gear and she kept on talking about getting a bum bag, I was very confused. Finally I got and said "oh you mean a fanny pack" and she slapped me. She was super offended. It was only once we found them that we realized that Fanny has a different meaning entirely in the US vs England. She still does not let me use that word in the house ... but I can say #@$#%#$@# as much as I want ;)

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Just saw this thread.

It will be interesting to see what happens with some speculation that Candide might even start his own ski line.

If I were someone like a K2 I would pay Candide a bucket load of money to join the brand. I think he could instantly elevate that brand where I think they've been struggling to regain their mojo.

And same thing if I owned owned Kastle. They are trying to go mainstream and I'd pay Candide a ton. I think he could make a huge difference for them.

What do you guys think?? Is Candide as valuable as I think he is in selling skis?

Last edited by a moderator:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Just saw this thread.

It will be interesting to see what happens with some speculation that Candide might even start his own ski line.

If I were someone like a K2 I would pay Candide a bucket load of money to join the brand. I think he could instantly elevate that brand where I think they've been struggling to regain their mojo.

And same thing if I owned owned Kastle. They are trying to go mainstream and I'd pay Candide a ton. I think he could make a huge difference for them.

What do you guys think?? Is Candide as valuable as I think he is in selling skis?
I think the combination of Candide with a top notch ski is a winner. His faction ski is pretty fantastic. The quality and workmanship of my daughters CT 3.0 is miles better than that of her Mindbenders. Both good skis, but she blew out the sidewall of her Mindbenders on a medium size drop, never had this issue with her Faction's or Santa Ana's. Would love to see Candide go somewhere they let him build and fine tune the design of his own ski while also investing in a premium manufacturing process. In my mind there are many premium ski brands like Kastle, Blossom, Stockli ... to name a few who would greatly benefit from a Candide designed and endorsed Freeride ski, unfortunately I do not think K2 is one of those brands, however they may be the one willing to cough up the most $$

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I do not think K2 is one of those brands, however they may be the one willing to cough up the most $$
Why don't you think K2 can be one of those brands? Obviously they would have to make a quality ski with the Candide partnership and couldn't just slap his name on anything. But why don't you think they can do that? I don't love the fact they are made in China, but I also don't get the sense their manufacturing ability is so much further below the general industry.

Sponsor

Staff online