• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Factoring in your weight for proper ski size

steveskier

Booting up
Skier
I've rented skis for years, and now am buying a pair. The size charts factor in your weight along with experience, skiing style and so forth to come up with the right ski length.

Should you factor in the weight of your ski boots? I'm on the lighter side, so those 10+ pounds make a difference.

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
Using the methodology of this site:

At the very starting extreme end of the height, weight, and ability chart, it's only 1cm ski length difference going from 100 to 110 to 120 to 130 pounds for a 5 foot person.

I would say the boots would make little to no difference as skis are sold in 4 to 6 cm increments.

1623721233813.png

TS
steveskier

steveskier

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the reply. I'm 5'7" and about 140 pounds (male). My ski level is green to easier blue runs. I'm looking at the Rossignol Experience 76 CI, which is supposed to be good for a beginner to progress to intermediate.

They're available in 154 or 161, and the charts put me at 155 to 161. So would it make a noticeable difference ordering a 154 or 161? I suspect any difference would be easier turning with the 155 and more stability at speed with 161.

TS
steveskier

steveskier

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the response and chart. Apparently, size charts vary wildly. A chart at ski.com puts my ski length at about 152, and the chart above would have me more like 161. I'm early intermediate (easier blue runs), 5'7' and about 140 pounds in street clothes. My numbers are without adding boot weight.

I ordered the Rossignol Experience 76 CI at 154. It's supposed to be a good ski that will function well as you advance through intermediate.

As as a practical matter, if I have a 154 but should have a 161, I guess it would be better at turning, but not as stable at speed as a longer ski?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They're available in 154 or 161, and the charts put me at 155 to 161. So would it make a noticeable difference ordering a 154 or 161? I suspect any difference would be easier turning with the 155 and more stability at speed with 161.

At your level, that 10lbs weight difference will be completely washed out by changes in how you make turns.

The smoother you get, and the more you come to trust the ski to make the turn instead of forcing it around by muscling it and redirecting the tips, the more you will fit into the upper end of the range.

In other words, a ski in the shorter length will feel easier now but won't support as much progress in the future.

There's nothing wrong with that, but if you're making consistent* progress, expect to want to replace that ski in about 30 ski days. Or sooner, if you really get the bug.

*the biggest impediment to consistent progress is - sloppy boot fit.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you do go with the longer ski, make sure that you are on a beginner/intermediate (usually more forgiving, softer) ski. Something that will limit one’s improvement is getting the “right” length on a ski that they’re not able to flex at the current level of skiing.

I’ve never included clothing/boots in the calculation of weight. I’ve just used body weight.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If one is factoring skier weight into a ski purchase decision, then the stiffness/softness and torsional (twisting) stiffness of the ski is just as important as proper length.

I don't have any knowledge of the ski that the OP is considering but imo, the shorter ski might as @cantunamunch suggests, become too short too soon. In other words get the 161cm ski.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
You show "Oregon" as your location; land of lots of fresh snow. A longer length will often give you better support on softer snow, especially on a narrower ski.

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
I say either works.

If you can grow into the 161 then it's a win. You will never NOT grow into a ski. It just takes time, but you will grow into it.

If you quickly outgrow the 154, or even the 161, then it will be your new:
- bumps ski
- backup ski (if your new skis are out of commission for whatever reason)
- tree ski
- soft ski if you ever get tired late in the day or the last few days of your ski trip and just want a soft cruiser
- playful ski
- experimental ski (when you're learning how to tune and wax)
- spring ski when the snow is dirty and muddy and there are twigs sticking out of the snow and you don't want to mess up your new, more expensive ski
- addition to the quiver. Revisit the ski if you ever get bored of your new, more advanced ski.

Or you can sell it cheaply or give it away and consider it your charitable contribution to growing the sport of skiing.

You can even donate it. I'm sure there are less fortunate skier charities or programs to get the less fortunate into the sport of skiing. You will feel great knowing you helped the less fortunate achieve their dream of skiing with a free pair!

Last edited:

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Experience CI is a beginner ski, I would not go below -10cm from your size.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think that with today’s skis a person’s weight is much more a factor in ski size compared to twenty years ago.
A tall thin person can ski skis shorter than the charts say and take advantage of some added maneuverability with the shorter skis.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My kid is a pretty good skier but skied jr skis in 158 at 5'4" 100 libs. Get the 160 just don't use very heavy bindings. Any non demo 11 din is good.

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier
*the biggest impediment to consistent progress is - sloppy boot fit.

I say either works.

If you can grow into the 161 then it's a win. You will never NOT grow into a ski. It just takes time, but you will grow into it.

If you quickly outgrow the 154, or even the 161, then it will be your new:
- bumps ski
- backup ski (if your new skis are out of commission for whatever reason)
- tree ski
- soft ski if you ever get tired late in the day or the last few days of your ski trip and just want a soft cruiser
- playful ski
- experimental ski (when you're learning how to tune and wax)
- spring ski when the snow is dirty and muddy and there are twigs sticking out of the snow and you don't want to mess up your new, more expensive ski
- addition to the quiver. Revisit the ski if you ever get bored of your new, more advanced ski.

Or you can sell it cheaply or give it away and consider it your charitable contribution to growing the sport of skiing.

You can even donate it. I'm sure there are less fortunate skier charities or programs to get the less fortunate into the sport of skiing. You will feel great knowing you helped the less fortunate achieve their dream of skiing with a free pair!

Same goes for boots. Beginners shouldn't worry about getting higher flex they can grow into.

Take the flex and size for your skills as recommended by the boot fitter.

If you quickly outgrow them because you're a fast learner or you progressed quickly because of taking lessons or your a naturally atheletic, that's fine.

Just give the boots away to those in need.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree to go with the 161 for your size. I can't imagine the 154 to be stable.

As for the boots, go with the bootfitter recommendations. I've had beginners who have needed a bit of a stiffer boot and I've also had beginners who needed something on the soft side.
We have not analyzed your feet or ROM so we don't know what you need for boots.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Which Oregon "resort" are you skiing? How often do you plan on skiing next season? I would say you will end up happier on the 161 especially if you are getting the days in and progressing. Also a lot of our snow comes in AFTER grooming so having a little more ski to punch through the concrete is always helpful.

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
I agree to go with the 161 for your size. I can't imagine the 154 to be stable.

As for the boots, go with the bootfitter recommendations. I've had beginners who have needed a bit of a stiffer boot and I've also had beginners who needed something on the soft side.
We have not analyzed your feet or ROM so we don't know what you need for boots.

TS
steveskier

steveskier

Booting up
Skier
Thanks everyone. I'm going with the 162 (said 161, but it's 162).

It probably will be more satisfying to grow into the 162, than to grow out of the 154.

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid