Fat Bikes Fat Wheels and Tires Thread

Tom K.

HRPufnStf
Skier
So, all things fat wheels and tires.

I'll start. OEM on the Beargrease are 27.5" x 80 mm Mulefut SL wheels and Dillinger 4 tires. Pretty happy, but.......I'm more than a bit of a wheel whore.

So I'm thinking of studding the D4s and getting a light (probably expensive) second set of wheels for non-studded tires.

Or I could put the existing D4s on the yet-to-be-determined light wheels and something studded on the OEM Mulefoot SLs.

Finally, thinking tubeless on the light, fast, non-studded wheelset and sticking with tubes on the Mulefoot SLs.

Note that I'm limited to a 4" rear tire, but I'm pretty certain a 4.5" will fit up front.

Any and all input welcomed -- as well as general fat tire and wheel discussion.

Thanks!

Pierre

Booting up
Skier
I have two wheel sets for the fat bike. A 29 set of wheels and a 26 set of wheels. I have a Schwalbe G One All Around 2.25" mounted to the 29"wheelset for use on pavement and the 4.8" jumbo Jim's mounted to the fat set in summer and Terrene Wazia 4.6" full studded tired mounted for winter. At 65 years old I don't do as much single track as I use to.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
TOm, come on now! not tubes drop 2 pounds off the bike. If you are riding in loose or lightly packed snow, and especially if you are doing any climbing of 6-8% or more, then a tire of 4.5 or wider will make a huge difference so I vote for having Mike Curiak build you a lightweight 26" wheel set and run as large of a tire you can. Spikes are only for ice. If you are riding on fairly flat, groomed or packed snow, you can get away with a 3.8-4.0.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

HRPufnStf
Skier
I have "opened a dialog" with Mike. I can hear my wallet cringing!

I'm also looking at the Bontrager Wampas, which are coming back mid-December.

I hear you guys on tubeless. I haven't ridden an mtb with tubes in 15 years. I still remember the goofy Stans strips in the early days.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

HRPufnStf
Skier
Well, that didn't take long.

Nextie rims laced to DT Swiss hubs shipping today!

Reactions: Ron
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

HRPufnStf
Skier
350 hubs and Dt Swiss spokes Im sure., He wasn't using Nextie rims for plus wheel sets this fall... Maybe for Snow use?
Yup, DT Swiss hubs (not 100% sure on spokes).

Nextie carbon rims in 27.5 x 70 mm.

Honestly, I trust Mike so completely when it comes to wheels, I didn't ask a lot of questions. He, however, peppered me with questions. Seriously, for nearly an hour.

These will be my go-fast fat bike wheels. Ha! Shod with unstudded D4s front and rear.

Studded D4s will go onto my OEM Mulefut SLs.........for now. ;)