• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes Fat Wheels and Tires Thread

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, all things fat wheels and tires.

I'll start. OEM on the Beargrease are 27.5" x 80 mm Mulefut SL wheels and Dillinger 4 tires. Pretty happy, but.......I'm more than a bit of a wheel whore.

So I'm thinking of studding the D4s and getting a light (probably expensive) second set of wheels for non-studded tires.

Or I could put the existing D4s on the yet-to-be-determined light wheels and something studded on the OEM Mulefoot SLs.

Finally, thinking tubeless on the light, fast, non-studded wheelset and sticking with tubes on the Mulefoot SLs.

Note that I'm limited to a 4" rear tire, but I'm pretty certain a 4.5" will fit up front.

Any and all input welcomed -- as well as general fat tire and wheel discussion.

Thanks!

Pierre

Putting on skis
Skier
I have two wheel sets for the fat bike. A 29 set of wheels and a 26 set of wheels. I have a Schwalbe G One All Around 2.25" mounted to the 29"wheelset for use on pavement and the 4.8" jumbo Jim's mounted to the fat set in summer and Terrene Wazia 4.6" full studded tired mounted for winter. At 65 years old I don't do as much single track as I use to.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
TOm, come on now! not tubes drop 2 pounds off the bike. If you are riding in loose or lightly packed snow, and especially if you are doing any climbing of 6-8% or more, then a tire of 4.5 or wider will make a huge difference so I vote for having Mike Curiak build you a lightweight 26" wheel set and run as large of a tire you can. Spikes are only for ice. If you are riding on fairly flat, groomed or packed snow, you can get away with a 3.8-4.0.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have "opened a dialog" with Mike. I can hear my wallet cringing!

I'm also looking at the Bontrager Wampas, which are coming back mid-December.

I hear you guys on tubeless. I haven't ridden an mtb with tubes in 15 years. I still remember the goofy Stans strips in the early days.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, that didn't take long.

Nextie rims laced to DT Swiss hubs shipping today!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
350 hubs and Dt Swiss spokes Im sure., He wasn't using Nextie rims for plus wheel sets this fall... Maybe for Snow use?

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
350 hubs and Dt Swiss spokes Im sure., He wasn't using Nextie rims for plus wheel sets this fall... Maybe for Snow use?

Yup, DT Swiss hubs (not 100% sure on spokes).

Nextie carbon rims in 27.5 x 70 mm.

Honestly, I trust Mike so completely when it comes to wheels, I didn't ask a lot of questions. He, however, peppered me with questions. Seriously, for nearly an hour.

These will be my go-fast fat bike wheels. Ha! Shod with unstudded D4s front and rear.

Studded D4s will go onto my OEM Mulefut SLs.........for now. ;)

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Front Nextie/DT wheel received from Mike and mounted with unstudded OEM D4, set up tubeless. Rear tomorrow.

Between the lighter wheel and losing the tube, I lost one pound, thirteen ounces. This is not going to suck.

Interesting side note: The unstudded OEM 60 tpi D4 and the studded 120 tpi version weigh the same?!?! Of course, I now want unstudded 120 tpi D4s instead of the lowly -- and heavy -- 60 tpi version. Shame on me! ;)

IMG_3593.JPG

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just say no to 60tpi.

Any source on 120 tpi D4s in 27.5 x 3.8 most appreciated. I come up blank, as does Mike (QBP is out).

Took it out for a quick tubeless "settling" ride with the dog. Passes the blindfold test with flying colors. Huge, noticeable difference. I've noticed this before. My Fuel EX feels like two different bikes when ridden with Bontrager Line Pro 30s and XR4 tires compared to Kovee Pro 30s and XR3 tires. A bit surprising.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, rotating weight, and weight in general up front. Bike feels so much snappier and "whippier" with less weight up there.

I will NOT use the term "playful"!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also am a recent convert to fat tubeless. You guys and my local shop finally badgered me enough about it that I had them set it up for me. Kicking myself for not doing it 2 years ago when I first got the bike, marked improvement in all aspects of riding the bike now.

At the moment, the mulefut rims and stock hubs (I'm actually not even sure what hubs are on these rims without looking) are good enough. I would like a better rear hub with more engagement after riding my Top Fuel all summer with the 108t rapid drive rear hub, but that costs more money than I currently have available. Still gotta finish paying off the Fuel EX that's on order before I go for more upgrade parts on any of my bikes.

Pierre

Putting on skis
Skier
We are expecting 5-9" of snow here over the next couple of days. I mounted up the Wazia 4.6's with the fattty Strippers. Seated perfectly. One problem, I got the front tire on backwards. It would not be so bad if it was by accident. I got things turned around in my mind and put it on backwards. I am not going to change it now. will try running much lower pressures this time.
Will start out at 3-4 lbs unless my brother also wants to ride it. Then I will start with 6 lbs. Me and the bike are only about 300lb. My brother and the bike are about 425lb.

Pierre

Putting on skis
Skier
The NWS keeps upping the predictions for the amount of snow as the storm draws closer. Now up to 11-12" where I live. Haven't had a storm like this for a few years now. Probably going to be a lot of drifting. So what, I'm stoked. Biking in heavy snow is almost as good of an activity as steep residential roofing for getting set for ski season.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fatbike tires I really want thin and supple casings (for winter use). Often they are run at such low pressures, that the casing is deforming a lot. I have to think a more supple casing with have much less rolling resistance in that scenario.
The other thing is, they are just so large, that there is a ton of rubber, so saving a few percent of weight from the casing makes a much bigger difference than in a smaller tire.

FYI for anyone buying studs or studded tires, there are both alum based studs and steel based studs.

@Tom K. I have some 180 tpi escalators, from 45nrth’s first generation of fat tires, nah, nah, nah nah!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. , I know the specs for the Beargrease say Max 27.5x4.0 on 82mm rim.

Since your rim is only 70mm, you can probaby fit “4.6” inch tires on there in back on that rim. How much room do you have around the D4?

Sponsor