• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite Backpacking Meals - Looking for Recommendations

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Have been backpacking in the Sierra Nevada 5 decades including 2 trips this summer. Freeze dried meals in this era are much better than decades ago. I'm not one that has explored the mix of current products but rather after finding meals that worked, have stuck to those products. Mountain House has reinvented their packaging this year.

Cheap old non-meat favorites:

https://www.knorr.com/us/en/products/sides/cheddar-broccoli-rice.html
https://www.kraftmacandcheese.com/product/00021000658831/original-7.25-oz

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just did 4 nights backpacking trip in the Sierra's.
https://www.SkiTalk.com/threads/fishing.2434/post-633193
Was reminded that I prefer Mountain House brand more than AlpineAir Foods. I find AlpineAir dehydrated meals took longer to hydrate, and are more highly spiced (in not my preferred flavors.) I enjoyed the Mountain House chicken casserole and pad thai chicken the best. Several of my companions were raving about meals by Peak, but I can't speak from experience.

That said, each package dehydrated meals claimed two servings. But, each container was mostly just around 500 calories. Let's just say I came back 5# lighter. The Peak packages seem to have more calories (~750).

Edit: I also like to make oatmeal cookie bars for snacks. Additions include lots of sugar, butter, dried cranberries, and nuts. Choose your favorite high calorie bits.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Also, I completely agree with @jmeb, treat a two serving MRE as enough for one person for one meal, typically. Mac and cheese is also a cheap and fantastic meal to bring.

We ate the best mac'n'cheese two nights ago in the Black Elk Wilderness. Just Annies. But it was after a looong day. And we had packed about 3tbsp of butter, 4oz of extra sharp cheddar to stir into the mix, some dehydrated tomatoes, peas and onions. (Two years back we bought a bunch of pre-dehydrated veggies that we use to mix in with various dried beans/pastas/instant potatoes/rice to make simple backcountry meals -- highly recommend). Superb.

The whisky and edibles probably helped ensure deliciousness. A pint of wild raspberries for dessert.
1FB64F65-3287-4C95-983B-A8F2F1410907.jpeg
9AB24EFD-69D5-4894-9520-BC5351365D3E.jpeg

Last edited:

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have found Good to Go to meet my needs - no MSG/"yeast" and a little lower sodium than most others (although not all are that 'low sodium'). Made in Maine..... Available at REI

Favorite is the Mexican Quinoa Bowl. Take the 3 Bean Chili and wrap it in a tortilla....

Last edited:

Sponsor