• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite Backpacking Meals - Looking for Recommendations

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good to know. We just ordered a couple meals from Mountain House to try out....my husband wanted to try this one. I wasn't as sure about chili mac (specifically the chili part) when you're out in the backcountry with no access to...anything.
The only meal I know that people, more than one, have identified in photos that just look straight down into the bag.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Good to know. We just ordered a couple meals from Mountain House to try out....my husband wanted to try this one. I wasn't as sure about chili mac (specifically the chili part) when you're out in the backcountry with no access to...anything.

Eh, a dried meat type camp diet combined with long days of seated activity, especially with limited hydration, does have a plugging effect.

A bit of ... motive power... doesn't really hurt.

Anyway. Do you do savory oats, like in a mushroom sauce?

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyway. Do you do savory oats, like in a mushroom sauce?

I don't think I've ever had savory oats. Normally oats are breakfast with cinnamon, maple syrup, and such...

Husband won't do mushrooms. But I'd be open to giving it shot if you have any recipes you'd recommend?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ok, no shrooms. I'm not really a recipe guy - it annoys her no end that I just make it up by feel.

You can make a savory brown sauce for pasta, rice or grains with just dried onion, peanut butter, salt and black pepper - and just enough water to make it all flow.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, no shrooms. I'm not really a recipe guy - it annoys her no end that I just make it up by feel.
You and my husband would get along quite well. And sounds like I have something in common with your wife :roflmao:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For snacks: Homemade summer sausage is a good option for a smoky outdoor snack.

Numerous recipes can be found by searching "summer sausage recipe tender quick" tenderquick is the curing salt used to make this. I have made it with both ground venison and beef in the past. Also I put mine in the smoker, vs using liquid smoke. I think it tastes much better than jerky and lasts well outdoors as a cured meat.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
For snacks: Homemade summer sausage is a good option for a smoky outdoor snack.

Numerous recipes can be found by searching "summer sausage recipe tender quick" tenderquick is the curing salt used to make this. I have made it with both ground venison and beef in the past. Also I put mine in the smoker, vs using liquid smoke. I think it tastes much better than jerky and lasts well outdoors as a cured meat.

She's going to Alaska. THE home of reindeer hot dogs.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
We usually start the first night with Mac n cheese—always in stock in our house and carrying lots of butter to make it delicious the first day ain’t a biggy. We typically throw in some dehydrated veggies which we buy in bulk variety packs from Amazon.

For premade meals we both like Backpackers pantry options. We are both vegetarian but I’m sure even the veggie meals would make a meat eater happy. One pouch per person per night (a “serving” is not sufficient calories for a person after a long day of activity.) My two favorites are the pad Thai and the curry.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
She's going to Alaska. THE home of reindeer hot dogs.

Last time I went to AK, I made a point to eat everything that I can't get regularly at home (halibut or salmon with 90% of my meals) reindeer hot dogs, sausage and jerky made the list, so good.

My two favorites are the pad Thai and the curry.

A good friend also recommended the Backcountry Pantry pad thai. Good to know it gets another vote.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
For a quick, easy breakfast that requires very little cleanup we put some Grape Nuts and raisins in a bag along with some powdered milk (I know, I know, but it's really fast for when you want to get on the trail) and just add water. Not great cuisine but it gets you into the day with little mess or fuss.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For a quick, easy breakfast that requires very little cleanup we put some Grape Nuts and raisins in a bag along with some powdered milk (I know, I know, but it's really fast for when you want to get on the trail) and just add water. Not great cuisine but it gets you into the day with little mess or fuss.

I like it...all in one and easy to prepare beforehand.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you want to cook or boil and mix?
You might try the NOLS Cookery book. They rely on powdered ingredients a lot. Milk, eggs, tomato, flour, etc.
Wow, those are the kind of people I need to backpack with!

Probably going to end up with a good mix of the two; cooking and boil/mix. I'm okay with cooking, but planning on minimal utensils/pots/pans, so that does limit us some. More on the "Potato Ramen" end of the spectrum rather than "Buttermilk Pancakes with Buttermilk Icing". Although that article makes me tempted to try stepping up my game.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Pans and plates are heavy. We use one aluminum pot with a bail, a plastic spoon each, and a mug each. No other utensils cookware or dishes when we backpack (OK, we have a general purpose pocket knife too) . When we camp out of the car it's a different story.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pans and plates are heavy. We use one aluminum pot with a bail, a plastic spoon each, and a mug each. No other utensils cookware or dishes when we backpack (OK, we have a general purpose pocket knife too) . When we camp out of the car it's a different story.
I do the same, except change out plastic spoon for an aluminum one that can double for a mixing spoon. Car camping is a whole different animal. Since this is a kayak trip, I may entertain a pan if we get a bit extra creative with meals...but most likely just sticking with a pot.

James

Out There
Instructor
I guess it comes down to what you want. Boil and stir or cook. The later does requires a stove that can simmer. If you’ve got 2-3 people you can divide the weight easily.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I guess it comes down to what you want. Boil and stir or cook. The later does requires a stove that can simmer. If you’ve got 2-3 people you can divide the weight easily.
When I'm in the backcountry I don't focus on cuisine, just calories. If you need to have wonderful meals then you need the technology to make them. I don't worry about it, my main focus is to enjoy the wilderness and part of the enjoyment is no being overloaded. In my world every ounce counts. Others will disagree, but I thought that it would add to the discussion to present a minimalist point of view.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love Backpacker Pantry's Pad Thai, yum! I typically am only able to get out to backpack on the weekends, and since I'm busy during the week with work and classes I usually splurge and pay the premium for these packaged dehydrated meals. Mountain House and Backpackers Pantry are my favorite brands, and I've tried quite a few brands. Like @Posaune says focusing on calories is the most important thing for extended trips.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, I completely agree with @jmeb, treat a two serving MRE as enough for one person for one meal, typically. Mac and cheese is also a cheap and fantastic meal to bring.