• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eroon

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Did I miss the thread I'm looking for? Trying to know where to go for a good boot fitting experience in Tahoe (personally looking to buy boot, liner, footbed if needed and have them all fit).

Right now, I was considering Buck/Olympic Bootworks, Granite Chief, Bud Heishman/Snowind, Start Haus(?). I know a minor concern could be product lines (I like that Snowind carries Intuition/Zipfit/BootDoc liners), but what else should I consider? Am I looking at massively different price or is everyone similar? Is there a way to go in and get a taste before committing?

Everyone will have their favorite, but I'd love hearing people sound off about it.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used to go to Olympic, but i had a few bad experiences lately. Start Haus is excellent

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When are you thinking? @Tricia and I are part time at BlueZone and basically work by appointment. Right now inventories everywhere are catch as catch can and luck plays a lot to what you can find. When buyng boots, you are not buying a brand but a fit.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When are you thinking? @Tricia and I are part time at BlueZone and basically work by appointment. Right now inventories everywhere are catch as catch can and luck plays a lot to what you can find. When biung boots, you are not buying a brand but a fit.
This ^^^^

TS
E

eroon

Skier
When are you thinking?

As soon as the coming week, but I don't want to compromise on a lesser boot if fitters are generally low on stock -- I didn't realize this was such a concern, but I gather supplies are limited. Thus, might be better to hold off til next season. Are the discounts now steep enough to lure people who still want a high quality boot that fits right?

When buyng boots, you are not buying a brand but a fit.

A sentiment I appreciate and understand. I mentioned brand availability for two reasons: (1) I don't want to be sold on something because it's the only thing the fitter's shop carries -- I'd love to have the ability to choose what works best for my feet and (2) I was under the impression that some brands tend to make all their boots that fit a certain foot better (for example, wider boots that don't tend to fit narrow feet)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As soon as the coming week, but I don't want to compromise on a lesser boot if fitters are generally low on stock -- I didn't realize this was such a concern, but I gather supplies are limited. Thus, might be better to hold off til next season. Are the discounts now steep enough to lure people who still want a high quality boot that fits right?

A sentiment I appreciate and understand. I mentioned brand availability for two reasons: (1) I don't want to be sold on something because it's the only thing the fitter's shop carries -- I'd love to have the ability to choose what works best for my feet and (2) I was under the impression that some brands tend to make all their boots that fit a certain foot better (for example, wider boots that don't tend to fit narrow feet)
I will be in the shop on Saturday and as far as brands and widths, almost every brand has narrow, medium and wide options.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are the discounts now steep enough to lure people who still want a high quality boot that fits right?
Example: I fit a guy in a Doberman 130 today. He was stoked to get it 40% off. I was lucky to have the boot in his size.

skier2265

Skier
I think I've narrowed in on Start Haus (Truckee) and Olympic Boot Works (Squaw) for my next pair of boots. I've heard great things about both of them. I primarily ski at Squaw and am either in the market for an alpine boot or a lightweight crossover boot like the Atomic Hawx XTD that I can use for alpine and touring. Any one have a recommendation between the two? Olympic Bootworks is obviously closer to the mountain and may have more options in the "crossover" boot category, but I don't know if that's enough of a deciding factor for me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think I've narrowed in on Start Haus (Truckee) and Olympic Boot Works (Squaw) for my next pair of boots. I've heard great things about both of them. I primarily ski at Squaw and am either in the market for an alpine boot or a lightweight crossover boot like the Atomic Hawx XTD that I can use for alpine and touring. Any one have a recommendation between the two? Olympic Bootworks is obviously closer to the mountain and may have more options in the "crossover" boot category, but I don't know if that's enough of a deciding factor for me.
Right now availability has been really tough. Be flexible and a better shop will tell you if they don't have what you need and let you walk out. For that type of boot like the XTD, I'd suggest Doug over at The Sport Hub, I think they have one of the better selections of boots on this class

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
^^^
2nd for Doug at the hub.. Good dude, will go that little extra to really get things dialed in

skier2265

Skier
Right now availability has been really tough. Be flexible and a better shop will tell you if they don't have what you need and let you walk out. For that type of boot like the XTD, I'd suggest Doug over at The Sport Hub, I think they have one of the better selections of boots on this class

Thanks for the rec Phil! I'm definitely willing to be flexible and consider other shops and The Sport Hub is close by. I think I'll go call a few of the shops in the North Lake/Truckee area and see what they have in that boot category and size before I make any appointments.

Sponsor

Staff online