• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite new Baselayer, Smartwool 150 Hoodie

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the 150 weight is perfect as a base layer for skiing, fat biking hiking, etc. I use this almost daily for skiing, the added hood is genius. On really cold days the thin, but warm hood helps keep you warmer overall and adds coverage for the back of your neck. Fits easily under any helmet. The 150 weight has long been my favorite but for this season Smartwool added the hood. The wool is comfortable against your skin and does a fantastic job of transporting moisture (wicking). you can wear this piece multiple days without stinking too! good for travel.

1610470081009.png

purchased on pro-form.

James

Out There
Instructor
How can a hoodie be a base layer?
You wearing the hood under your helmet?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

a hoodie is any shirt with an attached hood. its still 150 weight which thinner than your average T-shirt.

Yes, on cold days, I put in on like a beanie (on really cold days I wear a beanie with the hood) but if it warms up, I can just take it off.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I bought one a couple years ago for backpacking and found it is great for cold skiing days under the helmet too. Thin and warm.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How is the fit one these?
Are they 100% merino or a blend?

For similar reasons, I have been smitten with the Mons Royale Temple Tech:

-150g/m2 core spun around nylon, is is thin enough, that it dries quickly (merino holds moisture, so heavier merino layers do not dry quickly), meaning it can be worn for aerobic activities. It also means you can wear it in summer.
- It has a great, form fit, with long sleeves and torso (I sized down to L and it’s still long enough). I’d say it fits true to size for width, with extra length. Nothing worse than bare wrists or lower back, when bending over or reaching out.
-it has a perforated backpanel for extra venting in back. Since wind comes from the front when you are moving, and backpacks alway go in back, I prefer the differential fabrics.
-The hooded version has a hood that actually fits like a balaclava, that covers your chin, not loose and baggy, and cut low down in front, like so many attached hoods.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Thin hooded baselayer can be great for several reasons:
-forgot (one of) your hat(s)? Wear this.
-extra head neck layer for winter. Start out with a headband or thin beanie(skull cap) for head covering. If you get cold, pull the baselayer hood over that. Easy on off, without having to worry about packing/dropping it
-spring/fall outings: wear a ball cap for sun protection. If the wind picks up, the temp drops, or you stop moving: pull the hood over the cap
-summer backpacking: pull the hood up at night to cover your head when using a hood-less quilt or mummy bag.

That said, in winter, you can end up with too many hoods. Obviously, your outer shell should have a hood. Ideally, an over the helmet hood. Thin baselayer hood is nice too, and rarely gets in the way, even if you don’t use it.
Mid layers is where you have to start considering your total layers of hoods.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the fit on these is more on the athletic side. They fit me very well, I wear a medium and I have a 41.75" chest and a measured 34"waist. As a base layer, I want it to fit close to the skin. Their regular T-shirts are boxy and they dont fit me well although I use them as layering pieces.

the 85% merino is a really nice blend that doesnt stretch-out and remains comfortable when active.

NOTE ON HOOD: good point @Slim about too many hoods. In this case, the hood on this base layer is so thin it doesnt get in the way and even on the days I dont wear it, I keep it out so it can be pulled on quickly if needed. I have 2 of these and I ski 5 days a week and wear them every day now. its become my go-to base layer.

Description
Our lightest weight Merino fabric is perfect for those days when the morning starts off cold, but the afternoon is hot. Smartwool's Merino 150 Long Sleeve Hoodie is the perfect layer for your day to day life.

Benefits
Merino 150
Merino 150
This breathable, soft, lightweight fabric offers next-to-skin comfort, moves sweat away from the body, and acts as a versatile performance layer for warmer conditions.
Core Spun
Core Spun
Merino fibers wrapped around a nylon core for added durability while still keeping the comfort of Merino next to skin
UPF 20+
UPF 20+
Naturally protects against the sun's rays

Features
  • Regular Fit
  • Offset shoulder and side seams designed to increase comfort and minimize chafing while wearing a backpack
  • Knit in Vietnam: 87% Merino Wool, 13% Nylon
  • Style: SW016075

Care
  • Machine Wash Warm Gentle Cycle.
  • Do Not Bleach.
  • Tumble Dry Low.
  • Cool Iron As Needed.
  • Dry Clean.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I want one! Love my minus 33 but it's too heavy for days that are not really cold. Hood looks like it would be perfect for hiking, biking, xc-ing.

Been contemplating a lighter layer.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I'm 5'6 140 and also wear the medium. It fits perfectly on me not quite a athletic fit but close to it. Long enough to stay tucked in my ski pants and I could take a inch off the arms and still be good. Super thin for drying quickly but also being merino it regulates heat very well. One of those pieces of gear you cringe at the price but once owned it is money well spent. Now that I think about it this is my favorite article of clothing I own. My go to for skiing and backpacking.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Then there’s the full body base layer.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I also have one of these and like it better for backpacking. Has the thumb holes and is more merino. Same fit. https://ibex.com/products/mens-indie-hoody
I have switched to Ibex for all my wool. It has better feel than the smart wool imo
What is the deal with Ibex, anyway? They seem to be one of those companies that has made a business out of going out of business.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
@Tony S I have no clue what is up with that. I do know I like it better than Smartwool and I do like deep discounts on it from STP.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like Smallwood and Patagonia because you can machine wash and dry their merino products. The Ibex and icebreaker stuff we have purchased all has to be either hand washed or dried or both. PITA.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I like Smallwood and Patagonia because you can machine wash and dry their merino products. The Ibex and icebreaker stuff we have purchased all has to be either hand washed or dried or both. PITA.

Don't agree with that. All can be machine washed and dried, with the expected degradation of fibers. Machine drying is particularly destructive. If you do machine wash and dry, be sure to zip up all zippers. Zipper teeth on fabrics is oike a file wearing against them.

In all the brands that you mention, at the point of fiber prep they are Super Washed, which is an acidic bath ( I should clearify that I am not sure what Ibex is doing for sourcing and QA now, so that may have very well changed). If you look at almost any wool fiber under a microscope, you will see that it is covered with what looks like a layer of scales. Those scales are the entities responsible for the shortening of the fiber. Super Washing removes the scales, and makes the fiber length more stable. If a garment insists on hand washing, they likely have not sourced Super Washed fibers, in an effort of reduce their retail price, net more margin, or both. Costco comes to mind.

Just because it is called Merino" means nothing. How the garment performs will depend on the QA process in the drafty shed where workers are conbing and sorting the fiber - but that is a topic for another thread. Merino sheep throw very fine, and course fibers. A lot is depended on rainfall that year, and overall diet. The coursest fibers go to industrial application, then hats. Then socks. Finally, the finest micron diameter fibers go into baselayers. Is your baselayer itchy? It is likely because that brand cut corners, and used a courser micron diameter. Again, a cost saving measure.

In my case I always machine wash Merino wool garments, and then hang to dry. I hang to dry for two reasons: 1. We live in high desert. I see little need to run an inefficient appliance to dry a garment when it can dry in the air. 2. As I mentioned, driers are really destructive to garments. That lint in the lint trap? That is your clothing abrading away.

I'm all about Point6. Brought to you by the couple that popularized merino wool, and founded Smartwool. They know more about merino, and are super anal in their attention to detail. Dale of Norway is second. They do an amazing job. Icebreaker is a third for me. When Smartwool ditched compact spinning in the production cycle they lost my favor.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow @martyg So, you're telling me I've been hand washing all those longjohns and undershirts (ibex and Icebreaker) per the label instructions for nothing? They won't shrink? I don't mind hang drying, but if they get put in the dryer by mistake or because we're in a hurry (traveling etc.), it's handy not to lose a garment to accidental shrinking which I have done with Ice Breaker base layers. Smartwool and Patagonia garments didn't shrink on low.

I will definitely look into Point6. I have also really liked woolies made by Bergen and Devold Do you know if they are "good" ones?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid