• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite new Baselayer, Smartwool 150 Hoodie

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Point6 is great and I love their socks but they make a very limited line of garments.

they only make a couple base layers and long johns. I dont need a 240 base layer. too heavy for me. Plus the hoodie is very useful. Personally, I have a lot of Smartwool Tees and such and they have held up extremely well. I like the Point6 Socks but my favorite ski socks are hands down, no contest, Darn Tough socks.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like Smartwood and Patagonia because you can machine wash and dry their merino products. The Ibex and icebreaker stuff we have purchased all has to be either hand washed or dried or both. PITA.
My Icebreaker merino wool shirt machine washes very well, better than my Smartwool 200 baselayers, granted it is thinner 100 or 150, those thick 200's get like felt.
I always machine wash and drip dry all of my wool baselayers regardless of brand or the label's instructions. Never put wool clothing in the dryer, only if trying to shrink something that is much too large for me.

I love my wool athletic wear!

Eons ago, I can recall a young woman who would show up for the Cycles By Kyle (a mainline bike shop for the racing set), winter training rides for the Cat 4's thru 2's, always in a cashmere V neck sweater and nothing else under it (ok get your minds out of the gutter, her chest isn't exactly in the field of vision riding in a paceline), anyway, apart from the possibility she was advertising for a new boyfriend, I didn't really get it 'till I purchased a Campagnolo rainbow jersey, entirely for the tasteful logo, and it was made of merino wool. After one ride I wanted another merino wool bike jersey!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As noted above, our Smartwool and Patagonia base layers do not shrink in the dryer on low. I have had the Smartwool for close to ten years and the Patagonia for three with no difference in wear or feel to the others. Not an expert or connoisseur just a lazy someone who prefers the feel of wool.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I have Ibex, Icebreaker, and Smartwool base layer tops in various weights and love them all; I will need to look into Point6. Machine wash all on cold, hang dry; if they mistakenly make it into the dryer they contract a bit, but will stretch back out when wearing - the next wash I just make sure to shake them out and put them on the drying rack. I have a long torso and crazy long arms so I need all the length I can get.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Wow @martyg So, you're telling me I've been hand washing all those longjohns and undershirts (ibex and Icebreaker) per the label instructions for nothing? They won't shrink? I don't mind hang drying, but if they get put in the dryer by mistake or because we're in a hurry (traveling etc.), it's handy not to lose a garment to accidental shrinking which I have done with Ice Breaker base layers. Smartwool and Patagonia garments didn't shrink on low.

I will definitely look into Point6. I have also really liked woolies made by Bergen and Devold Do you know if they are "good" ones?

Probably a bit overkill. My clothing selection is usually high-end base layers or cycling kits. Supplemented by shorts, and tee-shirts. I typically machine wash everything on delicate cycle and hang to dry.

No idea on the brands that you mentioned. I shuttered my product development business almost a decade ago when I retired. I still stay in touch with a number of my colleagues but don't live in that world anymore.

If you get on Point6's email list they run specials all of the time.

Shots of where merino fibers come from:

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01299 LR.jpg

DSC01164.jpg

DSC01793LR.jpg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
icebreaker stuff we have purchased all has to be either hand washed or dried or both. PITA.

So, I'been doing it wrong this whole time with my Icebreakers? Damn. Good thing is I never noticed any damage or something.

My favourite however is Point6 and they sell their base layers in very nice little bags with drawcord and stuff.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am going to switch to your method! Next time I need woolies I will surely try Point6.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just fyi, Smartwool has this on sale for $80, free shipping. Comes in black.
I must say I’m liking my Smartwool pullover with zip. Not sure the weight, it’s a midweight mid layer. I find the temp range is quite good and you can wear it quite awhile with no smell.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
the 150 weight is perfect as a base layer for skiing, fat biking hiking, etc. I use this almost daily for skiing, the added hood is genius. On really cold days the thin, but warm hood helps keep you warmer overall and adds coverage for the back of your neck. Fits easily under any helmet. The 150 weight has long been my favorite but for this season Smartwool added the hood. The wool is comfortable against your skin and does a fantastic job of transporting moisture (wicking). you can wear this piece multiple days without stinking too! good for travel.

View attachment 120681

purchased on pro-form.

I just bought a Free Fly bamboo hoody baselayer to try for fly fishing. I haven't used it yet. Did you ever come across it? Wondering how it might work as a comparable base layer to this. I use the 200 SW Hoody zip and love it for skiing, but have also favored the Patagonia Capilene Air Hoody for skiing, especially this year due to the mouth guard serving double duty lift-life face covering purposes. The Patagonia hoody, though, is just too warm for me for anything above 50 degrees though.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@noobski - I have had one of those (although the green camo version), since they are based in my old home town, the CHS. Its great for Summer as designed - its "bamboo" but basically a hooded tee shirt that will dry faster than cotton. Perfect for early am run up to Bulls Bay from CHS or offshore when you have had too much sun.

Sponsor

Staff online