• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favourite/Preferred Waxing Iron (Cold/Hard Wax)?

DoggParadox

Booting up
Skier
Wondering what everyone's favourite waxing iron is, especially for cold weather/hard wax (generally stuff with a recommended temperature 140-160 degrees celsius)

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Wondering what everyone's favourite waxing iron is, especially for cold weather/hard wax (generally stuff with a recommended temperature 140-160 degrees celsius)
An iron with a thick base is important. Digital controls is nice. I have a Holmenkol iron like that that is pretty good. That said, I often prefer the feel of my cheap Swix iron if waxing indoors - it just feels better in my hand in terms of shape. The key with an iron like that, which lacks a thick base, is to give it a long time to be sure it's up to temperature.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I know they are more expensive as if they would be made out of gold, but I really want my wax irons to have thick plate. My choice is Swix T71. If I would have only xc skis T70 would still be my choice, but it's pure xc iron, so way too narrow for alpine. But T71 is not too bad overall substitute.
The more high end wax you go, the thicker plate you want, as the thicker it is, the more stable temperature it has.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have always wanted to get one of those. Never found it on sale, when, where, and how much?

Between $200/$250. Usually end of season. The usual suspects. Toko, Utah ski gear, Race Wax & Artech.

Spring1898

Booting up
Skier
For a $200 price I will definitely be picking one up at the end of the season.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm using a lowly Swix T74. The legendary Vistman gave it to me years ago. Better than the thrift store vented iron. Heats up super quickly. Takes a long time to cool down enough to put away.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Only used a basic Swix one. When I dropped it one too many times, I got a Toko T14

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
An iron with a thick base is important. Digital controls is nice.
The advice I got, and followed, many years ago was to scour thrift stores for an old iron without steam holes. I've had this ski-waxing iron since about 1980, don't remember what it cost, I figure I've amortized it down to about a nickel per year.

Base is 4.5" wide x 7.5" long x 3/4" thick, weight is 4.8 pounds. Does not have digital controls, though -- I just set it to "Wool". Sure is nice to not have to scrape the wax out of the center-grooves of my skis anymore.... but I still have wax-scrapers with that feature.

Made in USA. I'm not sure how an iron merits six patents.
"OPA Ceiling Price $8.55" refers to the "Office of Price Administration" that regulated consumer goods pricing during WW II 1941 to 1945.
1643664172455.png

1643664100849.png

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I was happy for years with the Toko Wax Mouse, but some visitor knocked mine onto the cement floor and never fessed up. Discovered it when the season started and had to find a substitute quickly. Now have this one:
TOKO T8 Wax Iron, Yellow, 800 Watt
The dial is irritating because you really can't see what the number is that you are setting it to. So I end up relying on the no smoke, moves fine, method of judging the temperature sometimes.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
The advice I got, and followed, many years ago was to scour thrift stores for an old iron without steam holes.
"The advice I got, and followed, many years ago was to scour thrift stores for an old iron without steam holes."

Was this before it was possible to buy dedicated wax irons?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BUMP.

My five-year old Swix T77 died. I don't need super fancy, but five years of pretty darn easy use? Looking for alternatives that don't break the bank.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
"The advice I got, and followed, many years ago was to scour thrift stores for an old iron without steam holes."

Was this before it was possible to buy dedicated wax irons?
No but you can get them for $10. I did the same, works well enough for me. YMMV. :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, all. I'll just chalk up my bad luck with mine to a fluke, and grab one of these when we return from our annual SV trip.

Bummed that I forgot mine burned up near the end of last season's spring Tune and Wax Party, because I really wanted to hot wax before the SV trip, then supplement with spray stuff while we were there.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Thanks, all. I'll just chalk up my bad luck with mine to a fluke, and grab one of these when we return from our annual SV trip.

Bummed that I forgot mine burned up near the end of last season's spring Tune and Wax Party, because I really wanted to hot wax before the SV trip, then supplement with spray stuff while we were there.
Fuller didn't bring one to lend you? When do you leave?

Sponsor

Staff online