• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Feedback for a 2nd pair of skis

TS
northwskier

northwskier

Falling off the lift
Skier
@Delicious I did think about that... 90mm may be a tad redundant. I did jump on the Liberty Evolv 90 deal at $200 but will return those to Sierra.
I am hoping 96mm is OK for a 2 ski quiver along with the 76mm Rossi. Otherwise I may need to buy a wider pair of skis in 100+mm.

Placed an order for the Ripstick 96 and Attack 13 bindings from Corbetts!

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I found the Ripstick 96 a great compromise ski, between a deep snow ski and groomed snow ski.
Agree with others who have posted that it is too close to what you already have to be the deep snow part of a two ski quiver. Then again what you have is too close to a 96 mm ski to be the carving end of a two ski quiver. There is a solution: sell what you have and move on to two new pair, a ~70 mm waisted cambered carving pair and a 108 mm waisted deep snow ski with full rocker. For example,

20210120_211119.jpg

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
@Delicious I did think about that... 90mm may be redundant. I did jump on the Liberty Evolv 90 deal at $200 but will return those to Sierra.
I am hoping 96mm is OK for a 2 ski quiver along with the 76mm Rossi. Otherwise I may need to buy a wider pair of skis but I don't anticipate feet of powder.

Placed an order for the Ripstick 96 and Attack 13 binders from Corbetts.
Should be awesome! I have been curious about the Elan Amphibio. Spent a decade riding Bataleon snowboards(made by Elan until recently), and no doubt the "inspiration" behind Amphibio tech. I'm a believer in the concept for sure.
The best thing about switching disciplines, or re-learning to ski, is that you get to experience real progress every day that you ski! I have enjoyed "the best run of my life" on several occasions in the last few years, sometimes only hours apart from each other! Here's to your next "best run of your life"!

TS
northwskier

northwskier

Falling off the lift
Skier
I found the Ripstick 96 a great compromise ski, between a deep snow ski and groomed snow ski.
Agree with others who have posted that it is too close to what you already have to be the deep snow part of a two ski quiver. Then again what you have is too close to a 96 mm ski to be the carving end of a two ski quiver. There is a solution: sell what you have and move on to two new pair, a ~70 mm waisted cambered carving pair and a 108 mm waisted deep snow ski with full rocker. For example,
Now you have me wondering if I should change my order to the Ripstick 106. Corbetts does have both. I did not demo it to know how much different it rides on groomers/less snow, and there was not enough fresh snow to have compared there.

I am plenty happy with my Rossi 76mm for groomers.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Minority opinion here, I’d be perfectly happy to have a 90ish frontside oriented ski (such as my Renoun Z90) and a mid-90’s skis that’s more off-piste oriented. If the tip and tail shape and flex are dialed, it can work just fine for powder, up to 6” and even more.

Granted, I’m 5-10 and 150 lbs. Also granted, I do have a 116 powder ski and a 102 mid-quiver ski. But I might do it differently next time the quiver gets a remodel.

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
I think for what we have here the 96 is the better ski. It can be your daily driver and just use the 76 for the long dry spells. We don't often get the endless refills like we had in 16/17 winter that you need a mid 100 ski. There is plenty of separation in the ripstick and the rosi. You have a true hard snow ski and complimenting it with one of the best mid 90s all mountains out.

TS
northwskier

northwskier

Falling off the lift
Skier
Wanted to give a quick update on the 2021 Ripstick 96's and Attack 13 bindings.
I've gotten in 3 weekends so far including about 4-6" of fresh snow last Friday. Tracked down fresh snow all day from open until close and had a great time. Really happy with the skis!
They float and are so much easier to ride in fresh snow compared to my 76mm waist skis. I don't want to say I tried them in powder because it was not 12"+ (yet). They are very quiet and so smooth on groomers or any amount of fresh snow. We had 2" mid day Sunday and it made the groomed runs that were starting to be tracked out really fun again for the rest of the day.

I'm also glad some members here recommended the Attack 13 over the Attack 11 binding. The upgrade heel mechanism is really nice, instead of a single piece there are a few moving parts with a cam system. They are really easy to step in and out of.

I did notice in pretty chunky snow they are a bit unstable, and tiring on the legs, which I expected based on them being softer skis? It could be due to my relative lack of experience but they seem more unstable compared to my 76mm skis.

I am still contemplating if the 180 length is a tad too long for my weight and making tight turns in the trees but I will keep at it. I am enjoying these a ton even on groomers so I like the flexibility the 96 offers and will likely choose this almost every trip unless we haven't had snow for a while.

Also couldn't recommend Corbett's ski enough. Both the skis and bindings were on sale + CAD conversion was $440 for the skis and $132 for the bindings. I am pretty happy with that and glad I get to ride them this season.

I am considering something wider for skinning with some friends in the future so that may be the next buying adventure and cover the 106mm+ size.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online