• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Feet getting really fatigued while skiing very steep bumps

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
this weekend while skiing very steep bumps my feet were getting extremely fatigued to the point of what I would compare to lactic acid buildup and burn. really strange.

never happens when skiing black type steep runs, first time this has ever happened to me.

anyone ever heard of this or had this happen to them? I am suggesting something must be off in my technique. Perhaps the steepness and size of the bumps freaked me out enough where I tightened up the muscles in my feet too much? Edging too hard to keep my speed down, I dunno.

No leg fatigue, just my feet.

Just looking for things to watch technique wise, and think about as I head out again next week

thanks!

Last edited:
TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Boots too loose and toes are struggling to stabilize?
I am thinking my heel is getting out of the pocket. I have not gotten my new boots molded yet but I actually moved into an LV model.
I have thought for some time my boots were packing out and needed to be replaced. A little heel slop in there at this point and the foot fatigue could be part of this for sure.

Great suggestion and spot on from what I would think would happen if I were constantly trying to push with my toes. It was a really weird feeling.

it was so odd for my feet to feel so wiped out but my legs felt great

this is an excellent example of why I posted this thread, so many helpful people here

thank you!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Where were you skiing?

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Most likely cause is you are clenching the feet. Think claw like.
Very common side effect of fear.
Makes it difficult to regulate pressure under feet.
I was definitely apprehensive that is for sure.

Any thing you can recommend to get this sorted? Outside of getting out there and getting after it?

i Appreciate the comment and any advice you would be willing to share, Strategies? Etc.

Last edited:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Give my feet a break any chance during the day by popping the boots off. Love the steeps and bumps but there is a limit to amount use the bottom of my feet can take. Hot tub at night also makes the next day easier.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was definitely apprehensive that is for sure.

Any thing you can recommend to get this sorted? Outside of getting out there and getting after it?

i Appreciate the comment and any advice you would be willing to share, Strategies? Etc.

Had the same foot cramp experience 40+ years ago. I traced it to clenching my toe during the first couple runs. I was in terrain too difficult for my ability for warm up. Switched to easier terrain for warm up and the issue disappeared.

Equipment issues can also cause similar symptoms. Do you have custom foot beds in your boots. How's the boot fit? What skis are you on.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Had the same foot cramp experience 40+ years ago. I traced it to clenching my toe during the first couple runs. I was in terrain too difficult for my ability for warm up. Switched to easier terrain for warm up and the issue disappeared.

Equipment issues can also cause similar symptoms. Do you have custom foot beds in your boots. How's the boot fit? What skis are you on.
I do have custom footbeds.
right now I have about 100 days on these boots and they are staring to loosen up in the heel. I can feel heel movement even with the ankle button very tight. My current boots are the Tecnica Cochise 120 (I bought them when I felt I would do more side country etc and I feel the fit may be a little less precise/tight than I normally like)

it didn’t help I was on Faction CT 3.0 (112mm waisted) Freeride skis, but I usually ski them well in bumps just maybe not this type of terrain. I considered the effort it takes to get them up on edge as a factor but not sure if it would manifest itself with the foot ache issue.

I am sure I have some work to do technique wise on these type runs, so I am trying to break it down piece by piece.

i know some of it is line choice HA

thank you for the input!

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
112 mm waisted skis in the bumps? That is a ton of ski to navigate through the bumps...if they are soft and widely spaced that's one thing but that is tough sledding. ZipFit liners will tighten up that heel slop really quick...something to think about.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I do have custom footbeds.
right now I have about 100 days on these boots and they are staring to loosen up in the heel. I can feel heel movement even with the ankle button very tight.
This is it right here. The combination of too much movement in the heel and tightening the ankle buckle is causing circulation loss and cramping. I am not a bootfitter but have experienced this multiple times as boots pack out. It is worse in warm weather when the flex of the boot softens.

Skiing a few runs on easy terrain, boots kept loose, helps to get the blood flowing and will cut back on foot pain when you tighten up afterwards.

James

Out There
Instructor
I got tired achy feet this season in Switzerland. It was bad enough to contemplate stopping for the day. Interminable surface lifts didn’t help with no rest for feet. Fortunately, it was only one day. No idea what happened.

Sponsor

Staff online