• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Feet getting really fatigued while skiing very steep bumps

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
112 mm waisted skis in the bumps? That is a ton of ski to navigate through the bumps...if they are soft and widely spaced that's one thing but that is tough sledding. ZipFit liners will tighten up that heel slop really quick...something to think about.
Yep, it’s a lot to handle.
I have brand spanking new Atomics in the closet just waiting to get new footbeds and custom work. Just trying to buy my time with my old ones till June. It seems them may die just before season end lol.

I am going to work on line choice as well…

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
112 mm waisted skis in the bumps? That is a ton of ski to navigate through the bumps...if they are soft and widely spaced that's one thing but that is tough sledding. ZipFit liners will tighten up that heel slop really quick...something to think about.
Seriously! That is far too wide a ski for anything other than powder.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I got tired achy feet this season in Switzerland. It was bad enough to contemplate stopping for the day. Interminable surface lifts didn’t help with no rest for feet. Fortunately, it was only one day. No idea what happened.

get new footbeds and custom work. Just trying to buy my time with my old ones till June. It seems them may die just before season end lol.

Honestly, first thing I thought of, before I even saw your liner packout comment. Easiest way to tired feet is to have a footbed/foot shape or flex mismatch.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seriously! That is far too wide a ski for anything other than powder.
These things absolutely rip on groomed, chundDr, chopped pow

super versatile, but may have met their match in really steep spring troughed out bumps

these are my DD ski here in CO and usually do well in everything, no joke

Last edited:
TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Honestly, first thing I thought of, before I even saw your liner packout comment. Easiest way to tired feet is to have a footbed/foot shape or flex mismatch.
Yep my footbeds are aboit 22 years old hahaha, not even kidding

I put them in some Salomon X-Screams back then (I siked thiose boots until, 2018 lol)

I won’t ever get a hike mode boot to wear resort side again, no kidding. Just not the fit I like

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Basically, you’re skiing moguls with a snowboard.

CT 3.0: 140/112/134

So, x 2 : 280/224/268
Got a lot of cuts on the inside of your boots?
I’ll have to take a look

2E5E45C5-FA41-4DED-BBA9-AEB8B90A1658.jpeg

You be the judge lol

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’ll have to take a look

View attachment 165871
You be the judge lol
Whoa! Narrow stance out of moguls too?

The 184cm CT 3.0, 186cm Enforcer 104 and 182cm MFree 108(and I’m sure the MFree 99 as well) are the “most fun in soft bumps” skis out there. The 190cm 118mm Wildcats were a lot of ski in bumps till I got the hang of them and still not as easy as the CT 3.0.

I’m sure things will be way better with the new insoles and boots and your feet won’t go into “panic mode” tensing up.

Just looked at my boots with 95 days on them for comparison.
CA8B7C6E-7E52-4842-81D6-04AD24FEEF4E.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ll have to take a look

View attachment 165871
You be the judge lol
You may start the turns with a slight convergence. Although the bumps are going to do that for you in that width. It is curious though they’re mostly in the toe end. Do have chips in skis in the front near the tip, right side? Though I could make a case for either side. (Mine are left side)

ID One mogul skis are like 95/62/85, so tips and tails are well less than half of your 112’s. But they go direct line and speed matters, plus spins/air.

TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Whoa! Narrow stance out of moguls too?

The 184cm CT 3.0, 186cm Enforcer 104 and 182cm MFree 108(and I’m sure the MFree 99 as well) are the “most fun in soft bumps” skis out there. The 190cm 118mm Wildcats were a lot of ski in bumps till I got the hang of them and still not as easy as the CT 3.0.

I’m sure things will be way better with the new insoles and boots and your feet won’t go into “panic mode” tensing up.

Just looked at my boots with 95 days on them for comparison.
View attachment 165880
Nope normal stance outside of moguls I like to drive the uphill knee and get separation. If it’s really tracked up pow/chop I may narrow up just a bit not too bad though

we ski lots of bumps, and the boots are about 4 seasons old including two season with about 40 days on them

I will try and get a few footwork vids this season with the go pro. i will be on the 99s or 88s this coming Saturday so we will see what I can get on some fast groomers and them some technical type bumps, maybe some faster bumps too

and damn @GregK those things look pristine for 95 days lol

you even ski bro? Haha

Last edited:
TS
Rdputnam515

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
You may start the turns with a slight convergence. Although the bumps are going to do that for you in that width. It is curious though they’re mostly in the toe end. Do have chips in skis in the front near the tip, right side? Though I could make a case for either side. (Mine are left side)

ID One mogul skis are like 95/62/85, so tips and tails are well less than half of your 112’s. But they go direct line and speed matters, plus spins/air.
not really too bad honestly, I only have one ding and I got that catching a rock a while back

I occasionally while clang them together in bigger bumps or if its stiffer chop

i have been working on staying a bit wider in the bumps but man it’s rough on these lol

i also feel for most of this year and toward the end of last I get a lot more tip deflection because my heels can move a bit in my boots. This really becomes pronounced in choppy terrain or in bumps

and any suggestion on fixing such a convergence?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I wouldn’t worry about widening stance with 112’s. You’ll be shoulder width.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
This is dumb but I've had this issue where my foot would be killing me but I was otherwise fine. My knee brace was pretty tight. I stopped using it and let the blood flow and my foot felt better. That being said, a good bootfitter does wonders. Also, good blood flow may have helped. Just throwing this out there because it worked for me.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
These things absolutely rip on groomed, chundDr, chopped pow

super versatile, but may have met their match in really steep spring troughed out bumps

these are my DD ski here in CO and usually do well in everything, no joke
If you like them as an all mountain ski that's your prerogative, but I bet you would ski better on something closer to 80mm, and your feet won't hurt as much.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As others have already pointed out, it’s sounds like you didn’t have full confidence going into that terrain. Your stance was probably effected, turns maybe rushed while in ill fitting boots with clinched toes. Could see why your feet would be tired!

The new boots should help tremendously though along with maybe waiting a hair longer to crest the bumps so that it’s easier to pivot. Have a feeling you were like my first day in Revelstoke on my Wildcats doing glade/bump runs and not letting the terrain help me as much as possible. I was a bit out of practice as it’s been 2 years since skiing bumpy glades(thanks Covid!) and was rushing each turn.
Realized I was doing this and instead switched to calmly let the terrain plan my routes and help me pivot easier near the peaks, not in the troughs and the skiing was much easier.
Boot scuffs could also be the result of rushed mogul turns before both skis are easy to pivot and some occasional ski lifting going on there.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Loveland Basin

whole left side under Chet’s

That area is a chore to ski most days. Tight moguls, scratchy AF, stumps, rocks, all kinds of things. It gets skied out it in 2 minutes. Lots of very short turns only apply.

Sponsor