• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Female Ski pants - Who makes short versions?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife needs a new pair. Her current Burton Society has expired. Unfortunately, the current model of Burton Society is now insulated and won't work. These older ones are between a shell and insulated, but closer to shell. She is short, so it is harder to find short version of pants. Inseam needs to be 29-30". Also these pants have always kept her dry, even when more expensive pants haven't.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've had good luck in the last couple of years with The North Face and Patagonia. The fit of TNF pants got weird, though, in the last few years. I have a pair of TNF Guide Series (possibly now defunct?) insulated pants and the uninsulated Patagonia Powder Bowl pant, both in short. There isn't much color choice (there used to be, about 10 years ago!), and the Patagonia pants come in and out of stock, so it's more about timing.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My wife has bought Patagonia, Arcterx and Mountain Hardwear in short lengths. The MH were a VERY big hit in terms of price, colors, and fit as I recall. Much better to find short, rather than paying steep fees to alter, IMO. In our experience Rainy Pass can literally alter ANYTHING, but their work commands a pretty “strong” price. Good luck.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Black is the preferred color, so that helps some.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have had the pant leg shorted by a seamstress/tailor on every ski pants that I have owned. Cost has varied between $10-$50 depending if zippers need to be taken apart and shortened or simply tucking a fold of material and then sewing below the knee.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Columbia also makes pants in short lengths. I personally like the bugaboo but I also only wear waterproof insulated pants during storms. As for soft-shell pants, almost every company seems to make those in shorter lengths .

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife has bought Patagonia, Arcterx and Mountain Hardwear in short lengths. The MH were a VERY big hit in terms of price, colors, and fit as I recall.

My wife would agree with this. Also, Marmot. And easier to shop short on discount sites like Steep and Cheap, etc.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just realized that Pulse pants run short. Their regulars fit me. BUT - they are lower rise so it does depend on how your wife feels about a lower rise pant. Being shorter, I prefer that because it doesn't rise up and pressure my rib cage on the lift. I'm a normal sized woman (M) - not petite- in all my dimensions; I'm just short.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Obermeyer came close. Looks like Burton Gloria pants will be the winner. They have GoreTex and non. Both are hard to come by though.

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
I have gotten my last few pants from North Face, in the short option.
Hard to find the short option via most retailers, so I usually purchase direct off their website —when you pick the pants there is a Short option.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mammut, at least they did last season. Got my oldest daughter a pair of Nordwand Pro GTX shell pants, in long inseam. Note they run small, so size up, if you are even close to the waist of hip measurements, if you want to be able layer heavily under it for Midwest lift skiing.

Link below has ‘short’ inseam selected.

MontanaMom

Booting up
Skier
I'm 5'3" and I love my Obermeyers. They come in short if I remember correctly. I have two pair and both fit really well but they do get cut easily. I wasn't happy with Columbia. The fit was just too baggy.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Burton Gloria in short is the winner. Non-Gore tex.