• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Find my pants

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've got the same jacket in the charcoal colour, my pants here are salomon, but not insulated, but they do a similar pant in an inulated version.

Attachments

• 20220203_111657.jpg
    20220203_111657.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 14

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
The yellows/mustard are what's called a triadic match - not complementary but equally spaced around the wheel. Thus:

View attachment 174696
I've been trying to figure out the names for the triad. The jacket is a muted blue-green. If you mute red-violet, what do you get? I think it's in the eggplant/aubergine range. If you mute that golden color, what do you get? Something in a muddy brown?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've been trying to figure out the names for the triad. The jacket is a muted blue-green. If you mute red-violet, what do you get? I think it's in the eggplant/aubergine range. If you mute that golden color, what do you get? Something in a muddy brown?

Not sure I have answers but I have several observations -

First, there are very few hues that don't change grey level as you change saturation - so we have to be very clever as we 'mute': if we change one we have to compensate the other, and that can easily change the match pairs.

If I mute red violet by changing grey levels, I get the wine hues - Merlot, Bordeaux, that sort of thing. IMO eggplant / aubergine is too blue shifted. If I mute red-violet by changing saturation I get lipstick hues related to coral. Those could work with OP's request, sure.

If I mute the gold by changing grey levels, I get ambers, dark honey that sort of thing. True brown is the darkened version of orange.

The person we really need in this thread is @LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
In my art world the three characteristics of any color are hue (where it falls on the color wheel, or what it's closest to), value (how light or dark it is), and intensity (how intense the color is; dull/muted or intense\bright or somewhere in between?)

Your words are a bit different, but you are talking about the same factors.
The colors on the color wheel are as intense as they get. Anything less intense goes either lighter or darker.
Lessening the intensity of color-wheel yellow, since it's the lightest color on the color wheel, has to make the new color darker than the original one. Unless you simply add white to it, in which instance it gets lighter.
Lessening the intensity of color-wheel purple, since it's already so dark, usually lightens its value.

I used to teach my art students that the shadow version of color-wheel yellow dark (which is a lower value of yellow) is paper bag/khaki. This is not obvious.
And that color-wheel orange, when in shadow, looks like some version of Hershey's chocolate brown. This also is not obvious.

In real life, the loss of intensity of an intensely colored object can come from loss of light shining on something, aka a shadow, or it can come from a weakened version of the color such as fading. Or from dirt getting on the surface of the colored object. These are usually called tints and shades when we mix them manually using paint.

Why are we talking about this??? TLDR.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
View attachment 174716
I was ready to pull the trigger on the new slate snowman bibs, but I was told these are a hard no :)
Yes, a hard no. It's the abrasiveness of the contrast in intensity. The jacket color is high in intensity. The pants are very low in intensity. There's something about that contrast that doesn't sit well.

But there are no rules about what needs to match in terms of hue, value, and intensity, to avoid that abrasiveness. You just have to look.

You can ask yourself if the jacket and pants were to go on a blind date, would the evening go well?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back to @mdf : #6. #2. Pick either.
:wave:

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
74641C44-528E-4E01-941C-B77E233BD70D.jpeg

I have to live this look down this season.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
You and some of Canada's best were sporting that look last year.....nothing wrong with it!
I had to stop wearing that kit when Reilly & everyone else was wearing it…

Swapped to Orage for a bit, but it has a really sub par hood.

1929A2ED-89C4-489D-B453-49EDAC17EDF2.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No prints? No bold textures? No multi-panels? Just two big blocks of undifferentiated color? Where's the imagination, people?

Sponsor

Staff online