• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Find us a MacBook/Macbook Air

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We’ve just been through this. I have had a much beloved 2012 MBP on life support. My wife has been using her ipad with a keyboard and it’s great for some things…not others. Wants a MBA after borrowing our daughter’s over a weekend.

I consulted with my local “guy,” who has always been great. Helpful.

We bought a 2015 MBP, 16GB, 512GB, 15”
Retina screen. Very light use. Looks perfect. $500. If we get three plus years out of it, all good.

He swears that this is THE laptop to buy. He uses one and has two on the shelf.

Also bought a new MBA. 8GB, 512GB. Along with 3 years of AppleCare. Will primarily be my wife’s machine. I pick it up tomorrow at the Apple store. Helps to a have a niece who works for them in CA.

With those two, along with the ipad and a good wireless workhorse printer, we should be in good shape for our needs.

Light user semi-retirees. My big change a few years ago was to leave MS Office in the dust.

Good luck.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Other than being on our laptops for what feels like 24/7/365, we are far from power users. Most of our usage is site work and some basic graphics, needs that barely get into the pwoer band of the Macbook Pro. A good amount of my usage at home/office is being hooked up to a 43" monitor but the other times I would like a 14" or 15" screen but I won't want the footprint of that size, so I will be waiting for a 14" MBA with a thinner bezel.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How about an 18 MBPro for $500? Even in basic config 8/256 it is enough power/storage.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This is Chromebook territory IMO.
Interestingly, I looked into this a bit. It seems like Google was intent on burying the Chromebook at some point. Or didn't see it as an avenue to continue. Then they had a change of heart when people actually had a lot of uptake on them. At the price point, for a device with a proper keyboard, and the proliferation of online apps, they suddenly realized they should keep it going. So yeah, not a bad choice.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Apple announced the M2 Macbook Air and Pro today:

The larger 13.6-inch screen is a nice upgrade. It's pretty pricy, though, as they are keeping the M1 Macbook Air around at the current price:

1654543592398.png

The M chips and new laptops are very compelling. As a long-time Mac fan, I'm so happy to see Apple doing great things with the platform after too many years of neglect.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
...no mention of a 15" Air.

At $1500 for an 8GB 412GB M2 Macbook Air, I think I'm going to keep the base 14" M1 Macbook Pro I picked up on sale at Costco for $1750
I haven't taken the time to read and watch videos about M2 chip vs M1 and probably won't bother in the absence of an M2 Air 15" option and or M2 MBA & M2 MBP allowing for after purchase HD & RAM upgrading (no longer soldering HD and RAM to the logic board).

James

Out There
Instructor
Do we lnow which part of the Apple space ship deals with computers?
2223BF82-4B81-4494-B4C6-44A3CE72410C.jpeg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Get the refurbished from Apple, offset with a refurbished iPhone, skip a night out, call it a day. But it never hurts to ask.

I would be more interested in which builds from the last two years are the best. Apple hasn’t been great with older comparability for new apps and stuff, maybe that has improved.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Thanks. That's a huge bummer fail on Apple's part. It's a shame you can't buy any M processor machines without thinking about it. I bet that laptop sucks for software development where you are reading and writing a bunch of files for each build.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug @Tricia please pm me - I have two mid 2015 15 inch MacBook Pros that have been retired. Until the m1 pro max came out, it was the best macbook pro available for many years. They have Monterey OS on it, but I am not sure if the next OS will be supported on that hardware.

If interested, I can send one to you for shipping cost —

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Get the refurbished from Apple, offset with a refurbished iPhone, skip a night out, call it a day. But it never hurts to ask.

I would be more interested in which builds from the last two years are the best. Apple hasn’t been great with older comparability for new apps and stuff, maybe that has improved.
Doh.
I should have updated.
We found the refurbished Air a great option and she is currently thrilled with it.

@Philpug @Tricia please pm me - I have two mid 2015 15 inch MacBook Pros that have been retired. Until the m1 pro max came out, it was the best macbook pro available for many years. They have Monterey OS on it, but I am not sure if the next OS will be supported on that hardware.

If interested, I can send one to you for shipping cost —
It looks like the 2015 is capable of supporting Monterey.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Doh.
I should have updated.
We found the refurbished Air a great option and she is currently thrilled with it.

It looks like the 2015 is capable of supporting Monterey.
Yes, I have Monterey on my MacBook Pro 2015- but it will not be fully supported on Mac OS Ventura (next OS update coming)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January