• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Finding "correct" (or maybe "optimal") edge bevels for the ski fleet

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
OK, the table below is my current ski fleet. I'm looking for good edge bevel settings to make each ski perform as intended. I'm not sure what the original edge bevels are/were for each pair, but I figure I have to start somewhere... Yes, I do favor carving on groomers. It's sort of like Le Mans vs. Baja 1000... :ogbiggrin: Favorite skis are the iSpeed Pro and iRally.

SkiFleet.PNG

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My preferences:
-Carving skis 0.5 base, 3 side
-Mogul skis 1 base, 2 side (can use the carving skis or tune in moguls, but it's more difficult)
-Off-piste, and by that I don't mean moguls on a marked trail like most Americans do (I mean trees and back country) and deep snow 1,3 preferred slightly over 1,2 and over 1,1 - if the snow is very soft, I don't care. (can use other skis and tunes here, but it's more difficult and not nearly as much fun)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@DocGKR had a very nice system posted somewhere here-edge tune based on ski width, which I found absolutely spot on.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd go by usage and skier style/profile for that particular ski, over just ski waist width.

1. For groomers and groomer bias. I'd be more forgiving about it: either 1/3, .7/3 or 0.5/3 for groomer carve/bias skis, including race skis, as long as you are just using them recreationally. If the factory base bevel is at 0 or close to 0, then whichever of these you might choose. (For myself, this would be shallower bevel (say, 0.5) for slalom and slalom-like/ST skis, steeper bevel (say, 0.7) for GS/LT skis.
(The problem here is that many or most factory skis come with a 1 base bevel, and flattening that to .7 or .5 means cutting a slight slope into the base material, not just the metal edge. This in turn makes for a more forgiving, easier turning/initiating ski - which works, but with slightly less sharp carve to it. [Some, including myself, like it that way almost as much as without it, for some less race course uses and skis.] So to get the most out of the sub 1 base bevels requires premature flattening/grinding the entire base after setting the base bevel, then refreshing that bevel again after the base grind/flattening.)

What I'd recommend instead, if the base bevel is indeed at or close to 1 when you get it, is to set the bevels at 1/3 provisionally, and ski it that way until the ski feels ready for a first base grind, or until you feel ready for something different - before you go through the .7 and .5 base bevel tune/grind/tune sequence. In the interim, ski it with the slight beveling of the base material, until you get the hang of that, or just for the fun experience, and then base grind to level the bases as a result of that sub 1 base bevel. I've found that FIS GS skis in particular handle with a bit of freerider, quicker turn flair in this interim condition, able to be downright turny when that's wanted.

2. For a bump or tight tree ski. 1/1 or 1/2, depending on your pivot/carve ratio. (If you use high angles for this, hey, go even 1/3, etc.)

3. For an all mountain ski generally. 1/2 is a good happy medium - again, unless you find yourself with a lot of high angle carving everywhere.

4. There are different, legit preferences for powder and powder/crud skis, also dependent on your skiing style. Trade-offs. No one answer.
If your powder ski is a bottom or sink to the bottom carver, fat or thin, then I can see a 1/2 or 1/3 edge tune.

If it's more of a pivoting ski, and that's how you use it, then 1/1 or 1/2. (The more carve to your style, the more 1/2 or even 1/3, etc. might be best.)

If your ski is more a floater, then the bevel will not matter as much; but folks can feel the differences:
There are folks who like 1.5/1 or 1.5/2. A bit more forgiveness and looseness to laying it over.
Many like 1/1. This gives a smooth, easy carved turn that matches at least slight floating (on skis narrow to fat). For me less fun in crud.
I like it for that until it's skied off some and I want more carve through the crud.
Many like 1/2. This also fits powder and powder crud skis - in this case ones that like to carve more, and fit that style. This is what I use for both all mountain and powder boards, other than powder bottom carvers.
Some like 1/3 (or .5/3 or .7/3). If you find yourself laying it over at fairly high angles even in some powder and in powder crud, then 1/3, etc. is better, probably. On some particular carve-centric soft snow skis, 1/3 feels better to me.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably as important as the actual bevel values. Maybe even more so is hand blending of the bevels at the tip and tails after the machine works are done.
Also don't forget to remove the hanging burr.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. For your fleet skis, OP, set to taste. For myself, I'd use optimally a .5/3 on your two SL skis,
either .7/3, 1/3 or 1/2 on your iRallys,
1/2 or 1/3 on your Bridges (depending on how loose you want them, and on what your pivot/carve ratio is like)
1/2 on your Gotamas,
1/3 (or .7/3 better) on your iSpeed Pros
1/3 (or .5/3 or .7/3) on your GS race tigers
1/3 or .7/3 on your Mantras (if you are more groomer/carve-biased with these and are playing to this ski's strengths); if more mogul, off piste and/or pivoty, then 1/2).

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Probably as important as the actual bevel values. Maybe even more so is hand blending of the bevels at the tip and tails after the machine works are done.
Also don't forget to remove the hanging burr.
Good reminder about the hanging bur.
For a few years I was only carving arc-2-arc turns all the time, and didn't know or care about hanging burs. I added quite a bit of structure to my iron.
20170402_221552.jpg

That's OK though; it helps spread the wax. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Thanks for all the info! I have to check with the local shop (basically the only one in San Diego County) and see if they're capable of doing it, and how long they are going to remain open as we head into the summer... I'm pretty sure the tune on my Head RD SL skis is 0.5 base, 3.0 side and those work very well indeed! I don't want too sharp of an edge on the Bridges as they drag me into parks every now and again. Thanks again!!!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I put 0.5/3.0 on all my skis. It keeps it simple. (I am assuming we are taking about a base grind / bevel redo) On my wider skis I am usually in soft snow, so edges don't matter anyway. If you don't like edges that hook up quickly on firm snow, then 1.0/2.0 is pretty universal and works for the "slarver" crowd. That doesn't seem like you, from your quiver. I don't disagree with any other post, I just got tired of keeping track and found my 143mm wide powder ski works even better with a 0.5/3.0 tune when I am on a groomer getting back to the lift. In its element, I don't feel the edges.

Mogul skiing in firm moguls maybe the one time that too sharp a ski will be worse due to hooking up when you need to slide/slarve. I found sking my SL ski in moguls right after sharpening the skis can be too much. My all mtn skis seem to work fine in that situation with the same tune. I always figured it was more about the ski.

For your quiver, you could modify Grump's recommendation to: under <80mm 0.5/3.0, 1/3 for the rest.