• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fingerless Road Gloves

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Any specific gloves Pugs get excited about? I have about four miscellaneous pairs. They all have seen much better days and honestly I'm not thrilled with any of them in terms of long distance comfort or numbness prevention. I need to buy a couple new pair that don't have holes.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Any specific gloves Pugs get excited about? I have about four miscellaneous pairs. They all have seen much better days and honestly I'm not thrilled with any of them in terms of long distance comfort or numbness prevention. I need to buy a couple new pair that don't have holes.

Then they wouldn't be fingerless? :P

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I seem to like the specialized fingerless gloves. It's a *little* more durable than my pearl Izumi. But my sample size is two. I'm also in the search for new gloves Thanks for creating the thread.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I keep coming back to the cheap Pearl gloves. They seem to have just enough padding.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Oddly enough, the more padding a glove has, the more problematic things are. Anyone have a minimally padded glove they like?

scott43

Skier
I have vintage leather palm cotton crochet gloves that I can't let go of. Not sure I could ever find another pair. All the new gloves I tried I find..lacking.. :(

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I have some NextTours that are the most comfortable I've had. I've always had a numbness problem and they worked for me. They are really inexpensive, but I found that price isn't always indicative of comfort. Not too much padding and lots of give

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I seem to like the specialized fingerless gloves. It's a *little* more durable than my pearl Izumi. But my sample size is two. I'm also in the search for new gloves Thanks for creating the thread.

+1 for Spesh BG pads - they do really well for me even on my fixie (unpadded cotton tape, no brake levers).

Now if you want a dark horse, try jackhammer gloves with d3O in the padding. http://www.mechanix.com/m-pact-fingerless-fingerless-gloves

Be advised that those are designed for highly loaded applications - they will not work quite right if you are super-light on your handlebars. Kinda like truck suspension is designed for a load in the back, ya know?

The no brake levers comment relates to my next point - you know to tweak the levers so the wrist is neutral between ulna and radius, yes?

Most brake lever alignment starts with the bottoms of the levers level with the drops - which is great for one-finger braking in group sprints but suxxoreth for wrist-neutrality. Non-neutral wrist -> numbness no matter how much padding you have.

For my own part, un-padded gloves are pointless - soaked through with sweat within 2 hours of riding; bare hands are better. I keep a cloth wipe tucked in around the bottle or frame pump.

Oh and, apropos of nothing in specific and everything in general, https://www.ecfunderlayment.com/ is actually more shock absorbent than most grades of EVA - particularly in comparison to the EVA under-the-bar-tape trim strips Trek/Bontrager used to sell. A significantly cheaper alternative to Specialized gel strips.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

scott43

Skier
Not sure about your fancy GTA spelling there but that's mostly around the waist?
"Professor Brainard (Fred MacMurray) (pronounced BRAY-nard) is an absent-minded professor of physical chemistry at Medfield College who invents a substance that gains energy when it strikes a hard surface. This discovery follows some blackboard scribbling in which he reverses a sign in the equation for enthalpy to energy plus pressure times volume. Brainard names his discovery Flubber, which is a portmanteau of "flying rubber." In the excitement of his discovery, he misses his own wedding to Betsy Carlisle (Nancy Olson), not for the first time, but his third."

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"Professor Brainard (Fred MacMurray) (pronounced BRAY-nard) is an absent-minded professor of physical chemistry at Medfield College who invents a substance that gains energy when it strikes a hard surface. This discovery follows some blackboard scribbling in which he reverses a sign in the equation for enthalpy to energy plus pressure times volume. Brainard names his discovery Flubber, which is a portmanteau of "flying rubber." In the excitement of his discovery, he misses his own wedding to Betsy Carlisle (Nancy Olson), not for the first time, but his third."

Yes, I've seen the first movie too. :)

My post was a humour-hunting allusion to a virtual portmanteau of "flying blubber" with a backthread to 'waist' being used for both skis (Renoun) and people. :)

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you PM me more on this? Thanks!

* Less of a roadie in recent years. This year spending more time on the skinny tires. When I rode a lot it was still with down tube shifters!