• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Finishing the Garage, Ideas Please

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Nice! South Bend Lathe..I used one for years but it was about half that size. Long gone now I suppose. That cutting fluid smell you never forget.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is getting real. :eek: I guess I can treat it as a real job.

Make up a list of wants and needs.
Make a plan - draw up the outline garage (to scale) with all openings (doors & windows). Graph paper will do.
On another piece of graph paper, draw up the cabinets. benches, shelving, lights fixtures and what not. Make sure they are to scale. Cut them out.
Mark out the areas reserved for cars on the plan.
Put the cut out pieces on the garage plan and Voilà - poor man's autocad.
Spec the material and finishes.

P.S. Since the GWB screws are still visible, record the stud centers from a corner for future reference. Just in case you do a killer tape job and can't find the screws later. :D

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly I think the most important things are light, then dedicated power circuits, and then temperature comfort. You can work with whatever the walls are whether drywall or ply or slat or concrete. If there isn't sufficient light and power, it's going to suck.

In 12.5 to 14 weeks, a bulldozer is going to drive through my house and we are rebuilding the "last" house, or so I've been told by the boss. As part of the deal, I'm getting a space that's 11x21 feet interior dimension with a barn door/garage on one end, so I've been planning the new workshop in meticulous detail. I'll have 12 feet overhead and poured concrete walls. And I'm still not sure what light to use. I do know that I've got a separate sub panel with dedicated circuits, including two separate 220s. The centerpiece is the item below cast in 1918, salvaged from the Norfolk Navy Yard and then converted to a woodworking lathe. Will hold 8.5 foot stock.

So, I guess I've learned a few things. 1) planning this sort of thing can be a hell of a lot of fun, 2) you can never have enough independent circuits, 3) lighting is more important than anything else, and 4) @Lorenzzo is 100% correct.

View attachment 13843
View attachment 13845
View attachment 13846

Sorry for the tangent but what kind of projects do you have in mind with the lathe?

As for the garage "what is the least expensive and easiest way to finish the walls?" Go with @scott43 post #2. It is also the easiest to fix, repair and maintain. KIS

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Sorry for the tangent but what kind of projects do you have in mind with the lathe?

It was my grandfather's, who used it in the navy yard and salvaged it for woodworking in retirement. So it's mostly about the history for me. It is about the only major piece I didn't previously have in the shop though. But unless I'm turning a lot of bedposts, you're right that I don't need something that big.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pinterest, eat your heart out.... ski storage:
IMG_2373.JPG

Shelving/counter top from Ikea, super cheap...
IMG_2374.JPG

As you can see, I decided not to paint.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'd be happy to ski those Enforcer Protos for you so you don't have to worry about storing them.

Novel ski storage, never seen something at that orientation. I'd think it works best for unmounted skis?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd be happy to ski those Enforcer Protos for you so you don't have to worry about storing them.

Novel ski storage, never seen something at that orientation. I'd think it works best for unmounted skis?

I will keep it in mind regarding the Enforcers, but the 100 Proto's are keepers.

I got the idea from Pinterest, someone used the sheving like that for fishing poles. Yeah, I think it would work best for unmounted skis.

Muleski

Inactive
Looks good. Good solution. So much for our decorating tips with the paint.
Nordica didn't want a return of the Proto's?
Lucky dog! That should have been the production graphics, IMO.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Protos will get bindings again, they are not grounded for life.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cool. Things look awesome. What's the guess on bindings?
It is drilled for Pivots so that is the obvious. Could put on Sth13's and Attack Demo's that i have.

Muleski

Inactive
I would avoid the demos. Why share. Some bright colored pivots....or the green STH.
Normally I don't get excited about graphics. Those Proto's are awesome, though!!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would avoid the demos. Why share. Some bright colored pivots....or the green STH.
Normally I don't get excited about graphics. Those Proto's are awesome, though!!
Yeah, we said from the start that these should have been the graphics...not that they could have created any more sales the ski were sold out in 27 hours. I had some matte Black Pivot 18's on them originally but maybe I can see whats on the wall that could be fun.

Muleski

Inactive
Is that what it took to sell out the initial stock? 27 hours? Wow. I knew it was fast........

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Woza. Yours is way cleaner than mine :).

Just got the major systems in place for both skis and bikes. Still lots of organizing and finishing up todo. Plus I can still fit an (NA) miata in there.

RRnuMcB.jpg

FpdUm7y.jpg

qtoqE2W.jpg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @jmeb , we have a 3 car garage that we actually have 3 cars in...NA, JSW and Yukon XL plus everything else. Now the Miata will share it's spot with a studio.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe you can find an old Merv Griffin set for interviews.
IMG_7139.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online