• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fire at factory that produces Fischer skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Edit to add link to follow up story

We will keep you posted as we get more information. Unsure of seriousness.

Link: https://uazmi.com/news/post/bOBLD3vA9tQ8z9XRR3Cse

Last edited by a moderator:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of combustible materials in there I'll bet. A quick search reveals that the Mukachevo factory is the largest ski manufacturing facility in Europe, and employs 1000 people. What other skis are made there I wonder, and could we see some shortages of other brands

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That is never good with all the flameable materials involved in ski manufacturing. Watched a boat builder go up in flames once; all the fire department could do was stand back and keep it from spreading to other buildings. Good luck Fisher.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I can’t “Like.” Bad news. Hope all are safe, etc. Yes, there is a lot of “bad stuff” in a factory like that. Wishing them well moving forward.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hope it's just "stuff" and not lives. 2020, the year of no fun, strikes again. As if there weren't enough hits to the supply of sports gear already..

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From what we hear, no loss of life and it was contained to one part of the factory. As mentioned, this is the largest factory in Europe. I don't think this is a big production time...I could be wrong but it will take time to rebuild.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Lando Any new information?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A lot of combustible materials in there I'll bet. A quick search reveals that the Mukachevo factory is the largest ski manufacturing facility in Europe, and employs 1000 people. What other skis are made there I wonder, and could we see some shortages of other brands
From the article that was put in the OP as an update this morning.
The Austrian manufacturer, Fischer, produces 60% of its skis from the factory and the plant also makes skis for Scott, Stöckli, Tecno Pro, Hagan, Rossignol, Alpina, Splitkein and Tecno.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm.....I thought Stöckli was made in Switzerland.
It is not uncommon for brands to use alternative facilities from some models.

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Hmmm.....I thought Stöckli was made in Switzerland.

If any of you have been directly involved with a news story, you will understand how incorrect reporters are on facts.

Stockli kids skis were built at the Fischer factory 8 years ago. The reporter is off by 8 years.

ALL adult STOCKLI Skis with the exception of the Axis Pro are made in Switzerland at the Malters facility and we have now taken all adult production in house only.

The Axis is built by Head.

The Junior skis are built in Slovenia.

This is very simple to identify, if the Stockli ski says, "SWISS MADE", then it is built in Malters, Switzerland.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If any of you have been directly involved with a news story, you will understand how incorrect reporters are on facts.

Stöckli kids skis were built at the Fischer factory 8 years ago. The reporter is off by 8 years.

ALL adult Stöckli Skis with the exception of the Axis Pro are made in Switzerland at the Malters facility and we have now taken all adult production in house only.

The Axis is built by Head.

The Junior skis are built in Slovenia.

This is very simple to identify, if the Stöckli ski says, "SWISS MADE", then it is built in Malters, Switzerland.
Ah yes, the incomplete or misquote of the media.

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, the Nela line up rocks!

Last edited:

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Plant that employs 1,000 people in the Ukraine and also produces hockey sticks and running shoe? And some people question the quality of skis produced by artisan manufacturers in the US.......

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe Fischer is the last large family owned ski company.

Excellent products can be made anywhere. My new Head e-Supershapes were made in the Czech Republic. The quality all depends on what the owners want...and sometimes on how closely they watch the process. My Stöcklis are not excellent just because they were made in Switzerland; they are excellent because the Swiss owners wanted them to be excellent.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My Stöcklis are not excellent just because they were made in Switzerland; they are excellent because the Swiss owners wanted them to be excellent.
Ding Ding Ding.

Have some of the new Kastles that were produced in the new factory Czech factory and I can say with confidence, these are the nicest finished MX's that I have ever had. From the machined tip protectors to the textured topskin with the embossed Kastle to the beautiful structured base. These Kastle's are jewel like.
446CC8BC-A569-4701-B981-C506DDACF47B.jpeg 8CC25192-0061-4EFC-A048-F6DC6F6D4546.jpeg

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Same Czech factory for your jewel Kästles and my very nicely made Heads??? Could be. Kästle had skis produced in Head facilities before.

The Head base structure is interesting, and very well done...52 mm wide coarse stripe of structure down the middle and very nice fine structure down the sides of the base. I guess it's to break up any suction when running straight & flat, and to have fast structure when the skis are on edge. These 66mm/12.1m skis will be on edge a lot.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January