• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
First, I want to thank all those involved in helping me select my ski boots. The guidance from this group helped me to make what I think was the right choice in boots. Thank you for your knowledge and patience. FWIW, I had tried on several different brands besides Technica: Lange, Salomon, Atomic, Rossignol Dalbello and K2. I would have liked to have tried the Full Tilt boots as I had a few different pairs of Raichle Flexons years back. But of the boots I tried, for me the ramp angle of the Tecnicas was just a little greater and better for my particular stance. And so I ordered new 2021 Tecnica Mach1 130's as by the time I got to making a decision there were few 27.5's of any brand or model left at nearby shops .

My Mach 1 130's came in this past week and I was excited to ski them. I bought the MV version as y'all talked me out of the HV. My feet measure 103mm/104mm and the MV is only a 100mm last. I was concerned that the 130 flex would be too stiff, but that's what I went with based on forum comments. It should be noted that when initially trying on the Mach 1's the 2020 version seemed too stiff in the shop. When I went back to try again, they didn't feel as stiff, which perplexed me, until the sales guy said that they'd sold the last 2020 model and I was in the new 2021 version. I think based on what I was experiencing on the second try I think made the right decision to go with the new 130's. I'd had a pair of 2020 120's on hold, but changed my mind based on new information.

At the initial fitting, the technician did expand the shell ever-so-slightly at the ball of the foot as I had pinching there and at the baby toe. The expansion solved the hot spots in both areas. No other work was done to the boots other than pulling the removable/repositionable tongue back one "notch".

I got to ski them for the first time yesterday. While we really don't have a "full mountain experience" out here in the midwest, the area had some genuine steeps and some modest length of runs (Chestnut Mountain, for those familiar with the area) . The conditions were icy and flat and 20° in the morning and in the afternoon we got a peek of sun and the snow softened a touch.

First run... Yikes! I had a bit of that "fish out of water" feeling. The Mach 1's were so much different than the old Salomon Xwave 8's that I came out of. While the Mach 1 130 might be slightly stiffer overall than my old Xwaves with a (old) flex rating of 90, I felt the Mach 1's had a more progressive and even flex and, good comfort at the shin. I had moved the tongues back on "notch" which really helped the tongue/shin interface. The moveable tongue is a great feature and I'm not sure why other boot makers don't include it. The right boot performed great with the cursory cuff angle that I'd set at home, but the left wasn't quite there and I was a bit tentative making right turns.

Edit: I forgot to add the edge engagement was immediate, and compared to my old boots felt almost severe! I think it was a combination of lateral stiffness and a more progressive but flex that responded positively and immediately- something I hadn't been used to.

After about 90 minutes I went in and adjusted the cuff in my left by increasing the cuff angle on my left less than 1°. Tecnica's cuff adjustment is "continuous" and has adjustments on both inside and outside of the cuff. It is worth mentioning that the cuff adjustments on the boots are available on both the inside and outside of the cuffs. I've found that using both sides are useful. My old Salomons had cuff adjustments on the outside only, I found the inside adjustment to be a key factor in helping me dial in the angle for both the inside and outside of my legs.

Following the mini-tweak I went back out. Mercifully we got a little sun and could see where I was going. With that minute adjustment I started just ripping it up. I was less tentative because I had an idea of what to expect and the small cuff adjustment eliminated some of the extra compensation that I felt I was doing with my right turns. As I became more familiar with the boots I started to enjoy them more and more. The flex gave me just enough leverage and shock absorption. Edit: The lateral stiffness combined with the right flex allowed me to tip my skis over farther. But not only that, having boots with the right stance and flex I could feel that I could pressure the tips of the skis much earlier in the turns and found myself able to make tighter turns. I'm not sure if I'd have had the same response with the Mach1 120's? I think I was surpised at how much more I could lay these skis over on edge- it was significant. I'd say (by feel) another 20% or more than you can see in my avatar. I could feel the turn radius tighten and G force increase as I was able to add more edge angle. While I cannot be sure, I have to believe that being able to bend the ski tip earlier in the turn due to a better flex pattern allowed for the higher edge angles,by securing a platform much earlier in the turn, then allowing the lateral stiffness to do its thing.

The one thing that I've still got to work out is the comfort thing. The left boot with the expanded ball area gave me no pain, but we super tight and I expect will be fine after a few days. The right, which did not have the shell modified at all wasn't bad, but at the end of the day my baby toe was irritated. I didn't experience any real pain until the end of the day. I've got to teach tomorrow, so I'll give it one more day before taking them back to the shop. Other than the baby toe issue on the one boot I don't think anything further needs to be done on the shells.

The one thing I can say is that my feet weren't exactly "warm" throughout the day. But I think that's a circulation issue due to the closeness of the fit and new boots. I found myself unlatching the lower buckles between runs which helped. With the fit and closness of these boots, I really didn't need much more tension on the lower buckles than enough to keep them closed.

The big difference between the 2020 and 2021 models is their new "T-Drive System" that attaches the upper cuff to the boots' lower. They do it with a carbon fiber piece that bolts onto both parts of the boot. Tecnica tells me that they'll be offering a replacement piece in the fall that will make the flex softer. I don't think I'll be needing to get them, but might just as an experiment. I'm not sure what other changes they've made to their boots, but the rest seems rather similar. It might be important to note that when first started searching for boots and trying on Tecnicas, I was comparing 2020 models and did find the 130 flex of the 2020 model rather on the stiff side (in the shop) and perhaps waiting for the old stock to run dry in my size was to my benefit.

Bottom line, the 2021 Tecnica Mach1 130's are the best performing boots I've ever tried (and I owned a ton in my younger days). They were the right stance for me, and aside from a few tweaks for comfort, really nice out of the box. I'd give it 5 stars for performance, and 3 stars for initial comfort, but I have high hopes that when it breaks in it will be a great all-day boot. Thanks for taking time to read this.

Mach1_130_ModelComparison.jpg

Last edited:
TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Ski Day 2 update:
The boots are starting to break in. Still close fitting, but a bit less irritating on my baby toe than Day 1. The tongues seem much more comfortable than the Salomons and in that allow me lean up against them in ways I never did with the Salomons. If I hadn't mentioned it, the plastic stayed pretty consistent in flex throughout a range of temperatures, though the temps haven't been in the teens.

Before getting to ski the boots over the weekend I found myself asking (myself) if I bought myself an improvement in performance or just a new boot? Would this boot, rated at 130 be much stiffer than my old boot rated at 90? It is clear- the smooth progressive flex of this 2021 model doesn't feel stiffer than what I came out, inspite of the disparity of the flex number. And YES...the performance is a significant improvement. I don't think the improvement is due to any one thing, but the combined function of all the design elements of the boots.

The only (hopefully temporary) negative is that the boots aren't warm. I suspect a lot has to do with the liners not having broken in yet, so the reduced circulation keeps my feet cold. I had to take them off at lunch to let my feet warm up. But I had no problem being in my boots for 3 hours at a time.

AL555

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Vindibona1 - Thank you for your informative posts of the new Tecnica Mach1. Do you if there is significantly more volume in the 2021 boot compared to the 2020 boot? I have heard, but not sure that if it's correct, that the liner in the 2021 boot is thinner, allowing for more volume in the instep and width. Any thoughts or additional info on this?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Evo took some notes, but caveat this may just be parroting the notes of what the rep says. The last bullet is the last changes:
  • New T Drive Cuff Technology - Men's Mach 1 MV boots only
  • New MV Mach 1 and Mach Sport Models
  • All Cochise get GripWalk soles
  • Slightly updated MV last - tighter heel and a bit more open toe box

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Vindibona1 - Thank you for your informative posts of the new Tecnica Mach1. Do you if there is significantly more volume in the 2021 boot compared to the 2020 boot? I have heard, but not sure that if it's correct, that the liner in the 2021 boot is thinner, allowing for more volume in the instep and width. Any thoughts or additional info on this?

I don't know that I can answer your question positively as I didn't get to try the 2020 and 2021 model side by side. When I went back for a second try-on I wasn't aware that I was trying a 2021 model until the sales person told me that it was the new version. I suspect that there is little if any difference in the fit. However, be aware that they have a HV (high volume) model with a 103 last and a higher instep. I was inclined to go that route, but was talked into the MV's because they were a good fit except for hot spots at the balls and baby toes. I believe that the liner in the Mach 1 120 is a little plusher near the fore-foot as it doesn't have the heavy plastic material as the 130's liner does. As far as instep goes, I do put a 3/8" heel lift in my left boot. I don't have fat ankles or high instep, but I assume that adding the extra 3/8" would mimic that situation. I have no difficulty with my left, but I have moved the buckle, second from the top, over one position so that I can leave it loose if I want.

Tecnica hasn't even put the 2021 model on their website yet and even their tech reps are still learning about them. But perhaps you can call them for more info.
603-276-1114

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Evo took some notes, but caveat this may just be parroting the notes of what the rep says. The last bullet is the last changes:

Thanks for the EVO link. As I said, I can't speak to the changes in fit, but want to address another point in the EVO review:
"T-Drive Cuff technology, where a backbone on the boot is responsible for the flex of the boot. This allows Tecnica to use more comfortable and lightweight softer plastics while still retaining stiffness. It also means less deformation as the boot flexes, meaning more comfortable and consistent flex. "

I am curious as to how the T-Drive functions for stiffness. Does the "backbone" itself have an elasticity that controls flex? I understand they will have a softer flexing replacement backbone available in the fall. I cannot imagine how else the T-Drive could work without the elasticity. If not, it seems it would be as if the cuff and underpart were riveted together.

Over the years I've probably owned 15 pairs of ski boots and can say without question that the 2021 Mach 1 130's are the smoothest flexing boots I've ever owned. I have to believe that the flex of next year's boot is (IMO) a bit improvement of this past year's model. When I tried the 2020 130 on in the store I immediately dismissed it as being too stiff and had a pair of 120's set aside. Because I was encouraged to give the 130's another look I had a different opinion on the second try, not knowing that I was in the newer version. And in practice, while not being too stiff at all, I found myself able to drive my skis in a way that I hadn't been able to do before, even though I thought I'd never do better than the old Salomons I'd come out of. What a pleasant surprise.

What I have to wonder is if the "replacement", softer T-Drive that will be available will be nothing more than what Tecnica uses for their 120 flex, leaving the shell of both boots being identical other than color and liner? If that's the case, could one stiffen the 120's with a stiffer T-Drive???

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@vindibona1
I'm curious about how you went about getting the 2021 model.
Is it available for retailer shops to special order in already in all sizes? Or did they somehow obtain it as sample or demo boots for just some specific sizes?

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid