• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First Masters Race - DIN setting question

HootSki

Booting up
Skier
I have my first ever masters GS and SL race coming up this weekend. I have no idea where to set my DIN for racing. I'm 55 years old, 68 inches tall and 225 pounds. I'm an ex-competitive powerlifter but still train squats and deadlifts regularly. I have been training with them set to 11 but not sure if I should go higher for the races. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

skifastDDS

AKA doublediamond223
Skier
I'm 6'3 230 and I ski at 11 for freeskiing and beer league. I haven't had a prerelease in a long time, granted I only ski metal race bindings. You might consider setting your heels to 12 for GS, but if they aren't coming off I wouldn't raise your DIN.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
depends on what binding, what the range is and also your BSL. Also since it is Masters, depends on your age - not for the DIN chart reason - but because the older you are the earlier you run so less choppy race conditions. Personally I normally turn it up 1 on my race skis compared to my trainers (for GS & Sl and 1.5-2 for DH and SG.

TS
H

HootSki

Booting up
Skier
Thanks ScotsSkier! My GS ski uses an Marker XCELL16 and my Slalom ski uses an Atomic X16. My BSL is a 295. So would your recommendation with this info still be 1 up from the training settings?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would, especially since you are also a small BSL. I am quite a bit lighter @ 165# but have a 284 BSL. Normally I run 11-11.5 free skiing and training. Most of my race bindings are 18s or 20s Remember also on both these bindings, set up the forward pressure 1 click past flush

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Calibrate your binding forward pressure every now and then. Needs to be right for skis to stay on your feet (or when needed, to come off).

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
If they're not coming off in training, why would you go higher?
This. Outside speed events, I’d rather err on the side of prerelease, rather than an injury even without falling. But this is the key question, have you had prereleases in training with your current settings? 11 could be higher than necessary

Sponsor