• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First Motorcycle

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
We have a first cars thread. Let's have a first Bikes thread.
The first bike that you owned outright in your own name. Optional, the one you learned how to ride on, even if it wasn't yours.
I'll start: my first bike: a used and abused '84 750 Interceptor like the one below (mine had the stock exhaust, but newer cams tuned for more overlap)
1680456456649.png

Learned to ride on a modified air-cooled CB750 as an adult a decade or two after spending a little time on CT70 minibike as a kid. (like the one below) I don't know everything that was done to the CB750 (besides the obvious cylinder head (original head hanging on garage wall), carbs, exhaust, clutch, tires), but it weighed a ton and felt like wrestling a dinosaur trail braking. In its favour, it did a much better job of pulling my arms out of their sockets when it hit the power band in 3rd gear than my Interceptor ever did.
1680456742124.png

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First and only. Some sort of Honda 350 that the previous owner has modified with ape hangers, a back rest and a different exhaust. Circa 1975. I was twenty years old. There may have been substances involved when this photo was taken. :huh:

TJY_Bikew.jpg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A 196? Yamaha DT-1 250. They were a classic dirt bike and mine was truly an unpolished turd.
After it dying out near the top of a really big powerline climb in the Chugach foothills, for the umpteenth time; got it pointed down the hill started and let it go off a cliff ( I murdered it before it could murder me). Got a noise pollution ticket with this bike, in my garage!
It was a very long walk home but smiled most of the way.

#2 was a 198? Honda 125 scooter in C d A, ID. That toy was so much fun. Could go anywhere and nobody would take me seriously. Sadly the kids killed it.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First was a 1968 Honda CT90. What an awesome bike Nearly(!!) indestructable, it took me everywhere when I was 14. I got it from a friend of my fathers who was getting a new big bike. Lots of trails near my house including some steep long hills. With the transmission in low range it would climb everything. On the road, going down a steep hill hill , with a tailwind, it would hit 62mph.

Honda CT90.png

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know if it qualifies as a motorcycle, but a Sears moped in the early sixties. Had pedals, but they could not be usefully used to propel it.

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
My first was a '65 Honda Super 90 that I proudly rode to high school on the first day of my senior year. Later had a Yamaha RD-350 cafe racer that was just a bit cooler.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first was a '65 Honda Super 90 that I proudly rode to high school on the first day of my senior year. Later had a Yamaha RD-350 cafe racer that was just a bit cooler.
I had a regular Honda 90 as the Super 90 had not come out yet. A friend got a Super 90 and I was jealous because it would go 65 instead of 55.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
First was a 1968 Honda CT90. What an awesome bike Nearly(!!) indestructable, it took me everywhere when I was 14. I got it from a friend of my fathers who was getting a new big bike. Lots of trails near my house including some steep long hills. With the transmission in low range it would climb everything. On the road, going down a steep hill hill , with a tailwind, it would hit 62mph.

View attachment 199238

Mine was a ‘72
Still have it in my garage

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first bike was a 1974 Yamaha RD 350, a sweet little two-stroke, but I did learn to carry an extra plug. View attachment 199276
Sweet, I used to have an RD400, below is the only picture I have of it, my high school girl friend. I think it was a 1976, this pic was taken with a polaroid, probably 1980.
rd400.jpg

My first bike was Honda SL 100. Used to also have a Yamaha YZ 100. Pix below is 1986 Australia, after ski bumming for the winter, me and a buddy bought yamaha 500's and built surf board racks on them, traveled up and down the east coast surfing and camping....

austriala yamaha 500-1.JPG

yamaha 500-2.JPG

yamaha 500-3.JPG

Last edited: