• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First Motorcycle

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first bike;

mini bike.jpg
I used to love riding those as a kid. Had an uncle that bought one, just so all his nephews would come see him, he had property where we could ride it, we had a blast riding that thing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My mom wouldn't let me get a motorcycle growing up so I just rode other peoples' every chance I got. One down and four up!

I did buy one of these summer of 1974..
Moto Bike.jpg

Bought this for my son to use when he got his first fast food job. He rode it spring and summer but took a car when one was availaible. Dumped it once hitting a pothole at night.. light sucks on it. I did figure out how to aim it better after that though He saved his money and bought a Nissan Sentra. I kept it for myself and use it locally every chance I get, weather and payload permitting.

Don't tell my mom (R.I.P)

roughhouse.jpg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My mom wouldn't let me get a motorcycle growing up so I just rode other peoples' every chance I got.
Same, I used to beg my parents for a motor cycle as a kid, nope. Didn't get my first one till I was a freshman in high school, I worked roofing houses all summer and bought it myself.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FIRST RIDDEN: Bridgestone 50. Rotary 4 speed transmission, which meant that if you shifted for the nonexistent 5th, you went back to 1st. Yikes! Nine years old, and I was hooked.

download-1.jpg

FIRST OWNED: Sears Allstate 60 cc scooter made by Daimler Puch -- before scooters were cool. Two-stroke, fan-cooled engine, 3-speed trans with real clutch (yay!). It was kookie, but parts came to my little mining town in the middle of nowhere via the Sears catalog store in less than a week, for next to nothing. And it stomped my buddies silly Briggs & Stratton minibikes -- all for the $50 budget my parents assumed would never allow me to buy a motorcycle.

images.jpg

Current 2009 BMW R1200RT

I'd keep that forever. It turned out to be the sweet spot of sport touring bikes IMO.

1969 Kawasaki Mach III 500

Monster! I once rode the 750 version. At the time I was racing open class two stroke MX bikes -- but the 750 triple two stroke scared the shit out of me!

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used to love riding those as a kid. Had an uncle that bought one, just so all his nephews would come see him, he had property where we could ride it, we had a blast riding that thing.

OH MANNNN !!!!

All my friends had Rupps and Little Indians and I wanted one SOOOOO Bad !!!!
Then, as they got older they all got Suzukis and Bultacos.
I had to wait a bit longer, but it goes a long way to explaining why I have 4 bikes in the garage now ( and 2 are Bultacos )

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My second bike was a Kawasaki 900 Z1. That SOB was a rocket. I scared myself several times on that thing. It had way more horsepower than suspension. I even took a six week trip from Seattle to Texas and back on it.

View attachment 199362
This little guy here owned one of those. And he'd take off and say watch this! And he'd bust down to the big corner down the road and throw it away.. must have done it three or four times. You'd think he'd learn!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
FIRST RIDDEN: Bridgestone 50. Rotary 4 speed transmission, which meant that if you shifted for the nonexistent 5th, you went back to 1st. Yikes! Nine years old, and I was hooked.

View attachment 199367

FIRST OWNED: Sears Allstate 60 cc scooter made by Daimler Puch -- before scooters were cool. Two-stroke, fan-cooled engine, 3-speed trans with real clutch (yay!). It was kookie, but parts came to my little mining town in the middle of nowhere via the Sears catalog store in less than a week, for next to nothing. And it stomped my buddies silly Briggs & Stratton minibikes -- all for the $50 budget my parents assumed would never allow me to buy a motorcycle.

View attachment 199364

I'd keep that forever. It turned out to be the sweet spot of sport touring bikes IMO.

Monster! I once rode the 750 version. At the time I was racing open class two stroke MX bikes -- but the 750 triple two stroke scared the shit out of me!
Tom, I hear ya! The '09 was the last year of this iteration of RT. Still air & oil cooled and before they goofed up the switch gear. After building this version, 2005-2009 for 5 years, they got it down perfectly. And the Mach II was stoopid fast!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tom, I hear ya! The '09 was the last year of this iteration of RT. Still air & oil cooled and before they goofed up the switch gear. After building this version, 2005-2009 for 5 years, they got it down perfectly. And the Mach II was stoopid fast!
That was supposed to say Mach III

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought my first bike at age 40 after finally gaining the courage to do so without asking Dad for permission! LOL 1st wife was none to pleased either.

1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 purchased in 1994. I have been trying to make up for lost time ever since. Currently have 3 in the garage, BMW R1250RT, Moto Guzzi V85tt and a Vespa GTS 300 HPE. I now have close to 200,000 miles on bikes.

1680646296846.png

Motorcycling has become my 2nd passion right after skiing.

Rick G

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
When I graduated from the '66 305 Honda Scrambler!

1969 Kawasaki Mach III 500 View attachment 199347
I found one of these at a shop in Wisconsin in 1975. I went home to get money for a deposit and when I returned it was already sold. Probably lucked out there, they were known to be just a bit peaky :)
Bought a 400 Kawasaki Triple instead, that morphed into a 1975 900 Z1B. I owned that bike until 1980 or so. Top speed was 140ish mph. (Or so I was told) :)

Attachments

• 20230404_170932.jpg
    20230404_170932.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 7

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Adventure Rider - Error
You must be logged in to do that."

Someone linked my photo? :cool:
Yes, I did in a funny picture thread on www.ADVrider.com. If not familiar with this site, it is the best and perhaps largest motorcycle discussion forum out there. I have been active for over 20 years. Met some great folk through this site and their get togethers. If you are a motorcyclist riding any type of bike, you will find content there that interests you. They even have a skiing thread!

For the longest time it was an add free forum that was well moderated. It got so big, that they had to take on sponsors and advertising so if you want all thread access without ads, they have a moderate membership fee.

Check them out! WWW.ADVrider.com

Rick G

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not my first motorcycle but my last three :) 91 HD Springer, owned it for less than a year. I bought this from a UPS pilot with 2200 miles. Great sound but no brakes to speak of.
Bought the BMW 1100 RS used as a replacement and loved the boxer.
Last was a Ducati MultiStrada 1000 in 2003. Top speed was 130 mph on a PIR trackday with MotoCorsa in PDX Ore.

Attachments

• 20140401_201137 (1).jpg
    20140401_201137 (1).jpg
    197 KB · Views: 4
  • 20140401_201621 (1).jpg
    20140401_201621 (1).jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20140401_201333 (1).jpg
    20140401_201333 (1).jpg
    190 KB · Views: 6

Sponsor