• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First Motorcycle

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
First moto I bought myself @16 was a 1974 Honda CB450 K7 (used). I didn't much care for it but it took care of my moto needs until I rode my friends 1973 RD350. THIS was what a motorcycle should feel like! I immediately bought it and sold the Honda ASAP. Still have that RD. But with a cross country moto trip scheduled for a week after graduation, I needed something a bit more suitable. This led to my first BMW Airhead a 1971 R60/5 @ 17. She was flawless on my first CC ride, 13,000 miles worth and not a single issue. The rest is history...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First moto I bought myself @16 was a 1974 Honda CB450 K7 (used).

Possibly the only motorcycle engine ever built with torsion bar valve springs?!

Still have that RD.

Jealous. By the time I decided I wanted one, they were becoming very scarce. My dad missed a cherry 400 for me by a day in northern MN -- a good place to buy used motorcycles, given the very short riding season.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mine was a ‘72
Still have it in my garage
too long without snow...now I'm quoting myself...

IMG_7080.jpeg

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not my first motorcycle but my last three :) 91 HD Springer, owned it for less than a year. I bought this from a UPS pilot with 2200 miles. Great sound but no brakes to speak of.
Bought the BMW 1100 RS used as a replacement and loved the boxer.
Last was a Ducati MultiStrada 1000 in 2003. Top speed was 130 mph on a PIR trackday with MotoCorsa in PDX Ore.
The top speed of the Duc was 130?

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
The top speed of the Duc was 130?
That's all I could squeeze out of it on the straightaway at Portland International that day . Great fun was had but great speed wasn't :)

Attachments

• 20140401_201333 (1).jpg
    20140401_201333 (1).jpg
    190 KB · Views: 6

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Maybe on that track. My R6 topped out at 164mph but I could barely break 150mph at Mosport..

PIR = Phoenix international Raceway? Portland? And did they chicane it for hacks like me?
Never really opened it up except for the one time at PIR. They did have a nice chicane setup.
Found this on the web just now. I flew mine off of a forest service road near Cougar Wa. My buddy ever the comedian said "That Duc wasn't mean to fly!" Too true, too true :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230609-094958_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230609-094958_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 6

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's OK. Fun is the important part.
I was getting passed on the back straight repeatedly by someone on a litre bike. I was on a 600. And it was pissing me off because I'd have to sit behind this person through the tighter bit after the straight and he was kinda crap through there. So I resolved to late brake and pass him back at the end of the back straight. I left it late, grabbed a bunch, back wheel was coming up but by God I got by him!! A few corners later the track went red flag and I went back to my truck. A few minutes later I see litre bike on the wrecker all balled up into a steaming pile of crap. Buddy was nearly in tears. Moral of the story: fun is what it's all about. Don't be a hero..

PS: apparently he went down the road a bit and pushed his wreck into a ditch, threw some gravel on the road and called the cops. Claimed the gravel was from a dump truck and he crashed on it...

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, on my track day passing on the straight aways was allowed but not in the curves.
I did a a riders class shortly after the track day at Portland Community College. I mentioned that I couldn't crack 130 and another guy said he was there on his Kawi ZX12r. I asked what he was putting down on the long straight away. 160 plus :)
On my last set of laps I hit the cutoff line at about 125, made the turn on the brakes hard and just about had to change my shorts afterwards. Don't be a hero indeed! :)
I pulled into the pits and chatted with another Ducati rider and asked if he was doing another set of laps. He was done for the day as he was out of tokens. I had one more set of laps to go but gave them to him. I was spent...

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
My first road bike was a 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special. Rode it all over Oahu for 3 years. I had to start it outside the parking garage of my condo because of noise complaints. Surely the source of at least some of my hearing problems now. I had it shipped to the mainland, and drove it a couple of times in the hills above Oakland, CA in October. After Hawaii, I wasn't prepared for being that cold, and sold it immediately.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is not my first motorcycle, but is the first time I can recall seeing a Royal Enfield cycle. Seen in the parking lot near the entrance to the various specialties offices at the local health center.

1686707789415.jpeg

TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Never really opened it up except for the one time at PIR. They did have a nice chicane setup.
Found this on the web just now. I flew mine off of a forest service road near Cougar Wa. My buddy ever the comedian said "That Duc wasn't mean to fly!" Too true, too true :)
I can attest that an '84 750 Interceptor wasn't all that bad at flying, but terrible at landing!

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1969 Kawasaki Mach III 500
And you're still alive! Damn, those things were fast.

1978 Honda CB125. Not fast, but I knew how to corner with it. Flogged the piss out of that thing.

I've been thinking of getting a Yami XS650 for a bobber project, but my wife will kill me if I do it. Why isn't there anything that rhymes with "happy husband"?

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
And you're still alive! Damn, those things were fast.

1978 Honda CB125. Not fast, but I knew how to corner with it. Flogged the piss out of that thing.

I've been thinking of getting a Yami XS650 for a bobber project, but my wife will kill me if I do it. Why isn't there anything that rhymes with "happy husband"?
Yep Mach III & still here! ;)