• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First photo of me skiing

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
well, first photo I know of anyway.

I'm the one on the right. It's not from this season.

Ski.jpg

I posted this in my intro too but when I was skiing yesterday I saw a few little guys bombing the slopes and it reminded me of this. So here it is. ;-)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That one of your Mom is a terrific image! Looks like about 1960 and somewhere in the Midwest?

TS
DesmoDog

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
That one of your Mom is a terrific image! Looks like about 1960 and somewhere in the Midwest?
I heard back, it was her first time on downhill skis so fitting for this thread! Taken in 1954 or maybe a bit earlier. Before my older brother was born anyway. They're somewhere in Minnesota at a place that doesn't exist anymore, she can't recall the name.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I heard back, it was her first time on downhill skis so fitting for this thread! Taken in 1954 or maybe a bit earlier. Before my older brother was born anyway. They're somewhere in Minnesota at a place that doesn't exist anymore, she can't recall the name.
First time, she had her act together from the git go! Confident and classic. I love that her skis, boots and poles are clearly depicted and everything's in bright color. She must be 90 something now!?!

TS
DesmoDog

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
First time, she had her act together from the git go! Confident and classic. I love that her skis, boots and poles are clearly depicted and everything's in bright color. She must be 90 something now!?!
She had done some cross country skiing before that, but I don't recall her ever skiing with me so she must have given it all up either before or right after I came along. Probably gave it up when my older brother was born. My earliest skiing memories are of my dad helping me lace up my boots to get them tight, and helping push the lever of the cable bindings down. Gotta get those tight too ya know. They tell me he used to ski with me between his legs, helping me stay up, but I don't remember that.

We celebrated my mom's 90th birthday out in Frisco last summer. Dad's been gone for about 25 years though. I still have some of his old equipment too. IIRC it's early enough that "safety release" bindings were still somewhat new, but his boots are new enough to have buckles on them.