• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First Powder ski advice

Maxgun

Booting up
Skier
High all, looking for advice on a First set of wider skis for an intermediate level skier. Many I've looked at seem to sound like they are aimed more towards the higher intermediate and advanced level skier.
I'm not looking to go full freeride or right off piste, as haven't the experience. But thought about something that would suit down the sides and on-piste if there's a few inches of fresh snow on top.
I currently ski Dynastar legend 84's. And These cope ok for most conditions, and with a nice dusting on top, or when it gets soft. But wondered if there were some wider skis that anyone could recommend that are suitable for my ability and weight
I'm 5'11 and 220lb,
Thanks

Reactions: BMC

goaliedad

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you like the Dynastars (those are my front-side, toodle around with my wife skis!), I believe they make a similar ski in 94-98 mm waist. I have a pair of 10-year old Sultan Legend 94s that work great in the conditions you describe. Hoping they get a workout next week!!

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
If you like the Dynastars (those are my front-side, toodle around with my wife skis!), I believe they make a similar ski in 94-98 mm waist. I have a pair of 10-year old Sultan Legend 94s that work great in the conditions you describe. Hoping they get a workout next week!!

those were really nice skis, I had to 2012's - sad I sold mine.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
High all, looking for advice on a First set of wider skis for an intermediate level skier. Many I've looked at seem to sound like they are aimed more towards the higher intermediate and advanced level skier.
I'm not looking to go full freeride or right off piste, as haven't the experience. But thought about something that would suit down the sides and on-piste if there's a few inches of fresh snow on top.
I currently ski Dynastar legend 84's. And These cope ok for most conditions, and with a nice dusting on top, or when it gets soft. But wondered if there were some wider skis that anyone could recommend that are suitable for my ability and weight
I'm 5'11 and 220lb,
Thanks

At your size you can go pretty wide but no need to go crazy wide if yoy are mostly gonna be skiing powder at a resort.

One of the best (fun, easy, capable) resort powder skis is the DPS 112RP https://www.backcountry.com/dps-ski...Mx3nzANUhJQoGBtLYv5i9rUd5QTySoXBoChbsQAvD_BwE 189cm is ideal for your size in this particular ski

If you like longer turns these are awesome, I own a pair. 185cm length and mount them back 3cm from the rec line and have fun even is its just a 3" "powder" day. https://www.black-crows.com/us/en/p...yPPBo6Hzodi3O3GYzXM_eOhkoNSB7zRhoClmUQAvD_BwE These skis let you enjoy powder even on lower angle green and blue runs.

A ski that surprised me at how easy it was to ski in powder and just how fun it was while still being capable was the Icelantic Nomad 115 in the 191cm length. This is was a ton of fun even in powder moguls. https://www.evo.com/skis/icelantic-...FEMZoqcQ3lJ4WGPML0tiUtzLcoQXDrmBoCmQ0QAvD_BwE I would buy these skis right now... need to hold back gimme strength... :roflmao:

Last edited:

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you intend to gradually grow towards skiing powder then something in the high 90 or low 100 waist would nicely complement your current 84 one. The added width is big enough to make a notable difference in soft snow but still be decently manageable on the groomers without wearing you out. For starters check out the links below or use the good gear search on this site.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
K2 Pinnacle 106, Elan Ripstick 106, Blizzard Rustler 10 and indeed, Rossi Soul 7 and I think that Wailer, all come to mind.

At your weight you probably want to go over 100mm waist, to get the float you want to make powder skiing easy and forgiving. Add in some tapered tips and tails, and of course well rockered tip and tail.
Going wider (over 100mm at least) and longer, will also help the skis maintain speed and turning ability on low angle powder. Off-piste steep enough to ski turns in powder on a narrow ski means it is avalanche terrain.

On terminology:
When people hear: “Powder skis” we usually think of skis optimized for deep powder. Usually that means waists of 115 mm and wider.

What you are describing would be more in the the “all mountain” ski category, as you are unlikely to find undisturbed, more than knee deep, powder next to the piste. (If you do, it means it has been dumping/blowing, so you don’t want to go there, since it would be high avalanche danger).

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

The Dynastar Menace 98 is the first thing I thought of, especially as a side-stash hunter and not a big bowl skimmer.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Maxgun , where will you be skiing these? Any plans on doing a off-piste ski skills course?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember when we talk about width for powder skiing, it is relative to your weight.

Let’s pick a reviewer with a weight of 160lbs. They review a ski of 95mm wide in a 182cm length. Sounds pretty common right? Neither particularly long nor wide.

Now let’s say @Maxgun , at 220 lbs, wants the same float. 186cm seems like a decent length for someone of his height and skill.
In order to get the same surface pressure as our fictional reviewer, he would need that 186cm ski to be 127mm wide!

The other reason to go wider, at least over 100mm, is that it is far easier to find easy, “loose”, forgiving skis in that waist width than in the narrower widths (but there are some).

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Dynastar Menace 98 is the first thing I thought of, especially as a side-stash hunter and not a big bowl skimmer.

It’s new replacement, the Dynastar MFree 99 would be a perfect “little side trail powder or soft snow” ski. Should be easy to ski yet have a backbone and much better designed tips/tails than the Menace 98 had. Loved the Menace 98 and will likely getting a pair myself for similar use.

For more float but still usable on soft snow groomers, the Dynastar MFree 108 is amazing.

TS
Maxgun

Maxgun

Booting up
Skier
It’s new replacement, the Dynastar MFree 99 would be a perfect “little side trail powder or soft snow” ski. Should be easy to ski yet have a backbone and much better designed tips/tails than the Menace 98 had. Loved the Menace 98 and will likely getting a pair myself for similar use.

For more float but still usable on soft snow groomers, the Dynastar MFree 108 is amazing.
Thanks will have a look

TS
Maxgun

Maxgun

Booting up
Skier
Remember when we talk about width for powder skiing, it is relative to your weight.

Let’s pick a reviewer with a weight of 160lbs. They review a ski of 95mm wide in a 182cm length. Sounds pretty common right? Neither particularly long nor wide.

Now let’s say @Maxgun , at 220 lbs, wants the same float. 186cm seems like a decent length for someone of his height and skill.
In order to get the same surface pressure as our fictional reviewer, he would need that 186cm ski to be 127mm wide!

The other reason to go wider, at least over 100mm, is that it is far easier to find easy, “loose”, forgiving skis in that waist width than in the narrower widths (but there are some).
That's very interesting, haven't looked at it in that way. Thanks

TS
Maxgun

Maxgun

Booting up
Skier
K2 Pinnacle 106, Elan Ripstick 106, Blizzard Rustler 10 and indeed, Rossi Soul 7 and I think that Wailer, all come to mind.

At your weight you probably want to go over 100mm waist, to get the float you want to make powder skiing easy and forgiving. Add in some tapered tips and tails, and of course well rockered tip and tail.
Going wider (over 100mm at least) and longer, will also help the skis maintain speed and turning ability on low angle powder. Off-piste steep enough to ski turns in powder on a narrow ski means it is avalanche terrain.

On terminology:
When people hear: “Powder skis” we usually think of skis optimized for deep powder. Usually that means waists of 115 mm and wider.

What you are describing would be more in the the “all mountain” ski category, as you are unlikely to find undisturbed, more than knee deep, powder next to the piste. (If you do, it means it has been dumping/blowing, so you don’t want to go there, since it would be high avalanche danger).
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am probably requiring an all mountain ski in all honesty.
The confusing thing is really, when some skies are described as having Additional stiffness and strength for advanced skiers, but knowing that as a heavier intermediate skier, I may be too much for the lighter floaty skies like ripsticks etc. Had some good advice on here though so food for thought

TS
Maxgun

Maxgun

Booting up
Skier
If you intend to gradually grow towards skiing powder then something in the high 90 or low 100 waist would nicely complement your current 84 one. The added width is big enough to make a notable difference in soft snow but still be decently manageable on the groomers without wearing you out. For starters check out the links below or use the good gear search on this site.

Thanks for the reply. Will check those out

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
K2 Mindbender 116c. Easy to ski, will float you a bit at your weight. Plus if you wait until off season, or find a pair from last year you will get a sizable discount. Other than graphics there is no difference between this year and last.

Sponsor

Staff online