• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First skate of the year

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
1D38FA99-D1AF-47E1-B37B-66C9173A22F4.jpeg
2F9EF75F-8649-4098-A502-C7652BA4BF71.jpeg

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Just barely enough snow in the Notch this morning. Skating on ice over pavement was less than ideal. I am still bad at this. The poles didn't work so well on pavement and that makes you realize how important they are. Finally I nearly got taken out by an off-leash dog as I was nearing the end. He hit me in the left knee but I somehow stayed up. Warmer tomorrow, so probably won't do this again until Craftsbury opens (I think they will beat Trapps).

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice! Jealous regardless :) No snow yet here. I've skated along that road on bigger skis after hitting the goods in the notch.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Craftsbury was making snow yesterday.

I’m getting kinda annoyed, UPS has lost just my 2nd pair of skate boots.. FedEx lost the first pair then I had to wait till my size came back in. Now it’s time for try 3.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
How far up the notch did you go? That's not exactly a flat way to start your xc season.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
It was like a mile and a half each way. I stopped where it gets steep and narrow. The snow looked even worse there although there were many ski tracks.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First strides today. Skiing was very limited, to put it mildly. And I definitely flailed.

After 25 minutes trying to stay out of the way of the HS kids I bailed and just took a walk back in time. I'll bet @Muleski knows exactly where these pics were taken.

20201125_135513-01.jpeg
20201125_135345-01.jpeg

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey I think you're running the Fischer Turnamic type bindings. I keep mine balanced at 0/0. Have you played w/ those settings and noticed a real difference?
+ numbers for grip and " - " for enhanced glide. I'm still a novice so I'm curious as to what others are doing w/ that system. Also... Lovin' the Twin Skin system on my non-skate ski setup. You definitely have to use the anti-ice on the mohair during waxing.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I haven’t tried moving them although I do think you can. My main goal is not falling so I’m not sure I’d notice at this point. Do you ski at Craftsbury?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I found Being able to move the binding is more advantageous trying to get kick wax pocket just right. My classics are flexed for my weight, but depending on the conditions you might move it for or aft to get the right grip or glide. I’ve yet to make the jump to skintec setup, so I’ll continue to rock my ‘21 Redster Classics with kick wax.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you ski at Craftsbury?

I've skied there in the past and I'm about 15 min away from them. I mostly ski a private trail system near the house. We built a connector snowshoe trail from the back yard to reach the groomed runs. The pic is from the trails out back a few years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20180218_113251.jpg
    IMG_20180218_113251.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 13
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
2 or 3 times last year. I’d like to try the trails in Greensboro this year. Skating on Caspian Lake could be fun.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn’t it advisable to learn on at least half decent conditions?

You know you’re not on alpine gear when a dog plays the part of Godzilla and threatens to destroy your existence...
Why do you think the poles are so long?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And then there is biathlon. Take care of any critters causing trouble.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What a way to go, if you have to go.

20201128_175604.jpg