• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First Ski Purchase Suggestions!

brozovich.6

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello, looking for some ski recommendations. I went to my local Aspen Ski and Board to pick their brain but I figured I would ask here as well! I am an intermediate skier and comfortable on any of the slopes at my local resort (Snow Trails, which isn't anything crazy). I have been skiing off and on since I was little.

I will be mostly doing groomers in the east but certainly want to do trips out west in the up coming seasons.
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 180
  • Current Skis: Borrowing a friends older beginner Elan skis
  • Primary Location: Snow Trails in Mansfield, Ohio
  • Experience Level: Intermediate (I think?)
  • Skiing Style: Medium speed, working on carving but mostly skid turns at the moment, a little trees here and there. I stay away from parks and slalom.
My local shop gets a lot of Elan skis and those were recommended. They also offer pretty damn good deals on these so this was my starting research point. The Wingman 82 ti and Ripstick 86 and 96 were suggested. I know the Ripstick is more of a heavier snow type ski but was told they are very playful and good for groomers as well.

Any suggestions or confirmation of the above skis would be very much appreciated!

TS
B

brozovich.6

Skier
Properly fitted boots are much more important. Tell us more about your ski boots and how they were fitted.

I have been using my friends boots since we are similar in size. I certainly will be getting new boots and planning on doing that this summer. I just wanted to have some game plan for when things start going on sale regarding what skis to keep an eye out for!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Where do you ski at most? Ohio, Michigan, etc? Don't go wider than 82mm under foot, in fact, 74-80mm under foot in a intermediate to advanced range front side carver will give you a nice start point.

TS
B

brozovich.6

Skier
Where do you ski at most? Ohio, Michigan, etc? Don't go wider than 82mm under foot, in fact, 74-80mm under foot in a intermediate to advanced range front side carver will give you a nice start point.
I ski mainly in Ohio. The plan once getting gear (this might be next season at this point), is to go to NY, PA, MI for some ski trips and eventually out west. All would be at resorts for now. After doing more research, I agree that the wider Ripsticks are not a good option. I spoke to a few people about the Wingman 82 Ti and they loved it for groomers. Again, my local shop has a good deal on Elan so that is what I was gravitating towards and potentially could get a sale in the summer.

You said the 74-80mm range would be ideal, what skis would you recommend? I am hoping to keep in that $500-650 range with bindings if possible or cheaper if I can on a sale.

Thank you!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
A Head Rally, Volkl deacon 75 or 80, Fischer 82gt, Head V8, etc would all be decent contenders. A new old stock Atomic Vantage 80 CTI or 83CTI would be OK too, I think the Redster X7or X5 took it's place, but I've never skied one so I can't comment on them.

The V8 would be softer than the Rally, out of the Head skis. The Deacon 75 would be softer than the 80. I put a beginnermediate on my Rally and it worked for them fairly well. The 170 length would be more forgiving than the 177, but it depends on how quickly you build skills and how athletic you are.

Ohio is a tough place for new skiers. Get a ski that's too soft and it won't inspire confidence on the hardpack and ice. Conversely, the skis that bite harder are tougher to flex and harder to learn to properly bend while keeping your weight centered or forward.

Hard to make a really good recommendation without seeing your skills, but the skis above are likely the right ballpark.

BobBeau

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello, looking for some ski recommendations. I went to my local Aspen Ski and Board to pick their brain but I figured I would ask here as well! I am an intermediate skier and comfortable on any of the slopes at my local resort (Snow Trails, which isn't anything crazy). I have been skiing off and on since I was little.

I will be mostly doing groomers in the east but certainly want to do trips out west in the up coming seasons.
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 180
  • Current Skis: Borrowing a friends older beginner Elan skis
  • Primary Location: Snow Trails in Mansfield, Ohio
  • Experience Level: Intermediate (I think?)
  • Skiing Style: Medium speed, working on carving but mostly skid turns at the moment, a little trees here and there. I stay away from parks and slalom.
My local shop gets a lot of Elan skis and those were recommended. They also offer pretty damn good deals on these so this was my starting research point. The Wingman 82 ti and Ripstick 86 and 96 were suggested. I know the Ripstick is more of a heavier snow type ski but was told they are very playful and good for groomers as well.

Any suggestions or confirmation of the above skis would be very much appreciated!
Which skis did you decide on?

Sponsor

Staff online