• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado First timer to Colorado last week of November - options with novice wife

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
Hello all-= we have never skied Colorado (gasp - the horror - jk) but have been to Utah, Big Sky, and the east coast. Looking for an option the last week of November. I knw we obviously cannot predict the weather- but wondering which resort(s) have the best chance to fit out wants. Choosing Colorado for a direct flight from RDU to Denver - I know that the drive sometimes can be a pain getting through the mtn pass- could fly to a smaller airport if needed (and then take shuttle)- so not going to rule that out.

1. Needs to have some decent beginner terrain for my wife, and myself will stick to greens and blues (I learned to ski at age 38 and currently 44 and too old to bounce back from a bad crash - so enjoy long mellow runs more than the adrenaline rush).
2. Will be taking small child and likely my mom as a babysitter, so want someplace with at least a decent village at the base (so no A-basin) where we can take a walk to the slopes (and willing to pay for that convenience).
3. Looking for places with VRBO apartments vs hotels (I know most places have this option)
4. Don't need a specific pass - friends have Ikon pass and we usually do a trip with them each winter, but am not obligated to just Ikon resorts.

thanks and cheers!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Unfortuantly, the safest bet that time of year will be A-Basin and Loveland, neither with that village experience you are looking for. With that said, you can stay in Breckenridge which will give that feel you are looking for. Copper does dtry to get open earlier too so that could also be another option. The good thing is, that is a very slow time of year so it could a last minute decision.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
For the past 2 seasons I have gone out to Denver Thanksgiving week to be with our son and a dear family friend. Have skied both Copper and Winter Park (Ikon pass holder). This past season was the better of the 2. There was skiing to be had but I wouldn't say it was any better or worse then any other early season skiing I have done. My experience, Copper puts down a lot of snow but 1/2 of its saved for race training. Winter Park seems a little slower at getting things open but I had enjoyable times at both.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there any way you can wait a week or two and push it into December?

By waiting a bit, you'll avoid the Thanksgiving crowds and allow the resorts more time to make snow and for the temps to cool off to allow the lower elevation resorts to catch up. If so, I'd put Beaver Creek on the list in addition to the higher-elevation resorts of Summit County (Copper, Breck, and Keystone).

Race training is an issue at Copper, taking up a big chunk of intermediate and advanced terrain until mid-Dec. More important for your beginner-oriented family, the wonderful West Village beginner terrain typically doesn't open until then either.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We were doing this kind of thing a few years ago. We settled on Breck because it had the best snow at the time and seemed to be a good candidate overall. The top part of the mountain(s) was closed for lack of snow but the easier lower half was in play. I think you may end up with similar conditions that early. It does have a nice town although too touristy for me. Was kinda weird in some ways...

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1. Needs to have some decent beginner terrain for my wife, and myself will stick to greens and blues (I learned to ski at age 38 and currently 44 and too old to bounce back from a bad crash - so enjoy long mellow runs more than the adrenaline rush).

The challenge will definitely be who will have decent beginner terrain open the last week of Nov. Unless Copper gets dumped on in Nov the West Village with the easy going greens won't be open until mid Dec. There should be a few easier going blues and limited greens open but who knows.

I agree with @tball recommendations plus Loveland should also have some easy going limited terrain open

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Keystone has really upped their early season snowmaking game since A-Basin left the Epic Pass. They start the season with Schoolmarm & the pod of trails that fork off to the right down to the Montezuma chair. It's a really good early season product imho, it's beginner friendly, and you've got the village. Plus anyone in the group who feels like it can take the free bus from River Run up to A-Basin (or over to Breck) if they're feeling it.

TS
D

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
thanks all- appreciate the info- pushing it back a week really isn't an option with work - and then we run into our Christmas plans. Want to do two trips this year, one to Colorado and one to somewhere to be determined - would it make more sense to do someplace else out west for a early season trip and then Coloarado for later? if so, which places would you all recommend? thanks!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why November? Let's assume a November - May season. Now obviously weather is fickle and averages mean nothing once you're on the hill. Nevertheless, here is a subjective approximation of when the best skiing is in the Rockies, by month. Best is at the top, worst at the bottom.

1. February
  2. March
  3. January
  4. April
  5. May
  6. December
  7. November
Below is a clip from May 2022 at Breck.

The point is that casual enthusiasts often assume that the best snow aligns with "calendar winter" or "cultural winter." It usually doesn't.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
His job means this trip must be in November.
What I read was that he couldn't push the trip into early December because holidays yada yada. I'm saying, instead of a trip in November and another in February, do one in February and one in April.

pushing it back a week really isn't an option with work - and then we run into our Christmas plans. Want to do two trips this year, one to Colorado and one to somewhere to be determined - would it make more sense to do someplace else out west for a early season trip and then Coloarado for later?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The challenge will definitely be who will have decent beginner terrain open the last week of Nov. Unless Copper gets dumped on in Nov the West Village with the easy going greens won't be open until mid Dec. There should be a few easier going blues and limited greens open but who knows.

I agree with @tball recommendations plus Loveland should also have some easy going limited terrain open
Isn't Copper adding snowmaking to the west side this summer? If so, that would reallllly help. Who knows if it actually happens; I'll ask around.

NEW SNOWMAKING, SNOW CATS AND TRAIL IMPROVEMENTS

Snowmaking enhancements will be conducted around the mountain to help deliver a higher-quality snow surface in the early season. The project includes upgrades and replacements to existing snowmaking infrastructure, including new automated tower snow guns in the resort’s Central Park terrain park area, and new installations on the west side of the mountain. The new installations will further enhance its western territory, focusing on trails like Soliloquy, allowing the resort to open that area of the mountain earlier in the season.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Steamboat should be considered. Flying to Hayden will most likely require a stop unless Southwest adds more flights in Winter. If you want to look outside CO, Grand Targhee usually gets a lot of snow although village at base is small and access from RDU is not as good as DEN. You may want to look at https://bestsnow.net/earlysno.htm some of which is out of date and does not always include snowmaking. It also says "Don't commit money to a ski trip until the snow is on the ground."

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Isn't Copper adding snowmaking to the west side this summer? If so, that would reallllly help. Who knows if it actually happens; I'll ask around.

Good question on where or when the snowmaking is being installed in West. I have heard a couple of scenarios but not sure when they will happen. The trail improvements in West were around glading in the Lyman area.

If I hear anything I will let you know

TS
D

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
thanks again- ya trying to balance vacation time with work, holidays etc. This is the last winter I have before our daughter goes to school- which will severely limit vacation. So looking at maxing out our time/budget with two ski trips and one tropical trip. ( I am a scuba addict)

was thinking November - ski
Feb-tropical
March/April - ski

completely get that cultural winter doesn't align with best skiing (need snow to build up, etc)

I guess I could do ski in Jan and late March/April- I remember in the past having trouble finding places open that late in the year with good snow (this last year was the exception - right?)

If I did that Anyplace in January would be good, late season skiing in Colorado- best at higher altitutes - correct? So like Keystone/Breck/Copper? would sorta match what I am looking for during the later season? Steamboat would match what I am looking for assuming the snow is good - but IIRC they don't have as long as season due to being lower elevation? (plus a connection- not the end of the world by any means, but direct to Denver or Salt Lake is always super nice when traveling with a kiddo.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello all-= we have never skied Colorado (gasp - the horror - jk) but have been to Utah, Big Sky, and the east coast. Looking for an option the last week of November. I knw we obviously cannot predict the weather- but wondering which resort(s) have the best chance to fit out wants. Choosing Colorado for a direct flight from RDU to Denver - I know that the drive sometimes can be a pain getting through the mtn pass- could fly to a smaller airport if needed (and then take shuttle)- so not going to rule that out.

2. Will be taking small child and likely my mom as a babysitter, so want someplace with at least a decent village at the base (so no A-basin) where we can take a walk to the slopes (and willing to pay for that convenience).
3. Looking for places with VRBO apartments vs hotels (I know most places have this option)
4. Don't need a specific pass - friends have Ikon pass and we usually do a trip with them each winter, but am not obligated to just Ikon resorts.

thanks and cheers!

Breck should be good. The town is great, lots to do, and the hill opens up some wide easy groomers early in the season with really good snowmaking.

Keystone is solid since they focus on opening first but much more crowded since you have to deal with the Front Range day skier crowd almost daily and it has a small village and nothing else.

Vail has an amazing village but early season is confined mostly to the upper slopes so you would have to deal with downloading down the gondola 1 or go to the Lionshead side unless it gets lots of snow in the early season.

Beaver Creek has a small village so not much to do and they have some really nice beginner and intermediate terrain but early season snow can be a gamble there even though they have significant snowmaking. They focus more on opening for the xmas holiday not so much early season.

Copper has fantastic terrain of all levels and the layout is great for lower level skiers but they do focus more on ski racing teams early in the season.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
late March/April-

Late April can be hit or miss, depends on the year. Early April is fine. Late April, you'll be looking at Breck for best snow and open terrain (with your other needs - ie needs a village). Maybe Copper/Winter Park? Not sure on those, I haven't skied Copper/WP in a long time. Vail prioritizes getting Keystone in top shape for early season and extending Breck late season as much as possible. They have a 'value pass' option that is specifically that (Keystone all year, then transition to Breck in April I think).

The other thing to consider is ski schools will effectively close before the resort does. So if you want to do a lesson, late March/early April are the latest you can go. Past 2nd week of April, Breck ski school closes and/or greatly reduces offerings.

Also be aware that late season, the snow is quite variable. Many people on this board are advanced+ skiers and talk up the late season. I think it's fun skiing a lot of different snow conditions during the day. When you ski well, you can also move around the mountain and find the good pockets of protected snow in the morning. Then ski slush in the afternoon. This is not generally what beginner/intermediates find fun (at least the ones I talk to). They find it to be a lot of work and not much fun. Mid winter and early conditions are more forgiving. Softer 3D snow (slush and powder) takes better technique to ski without struggling.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
November is risky anywhere, that said, look for places with beginner terrain that is higher up on the mountain where there is usually greater snow accumulation. Winter Park maybe?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
was thinking November - ski
Feb-tropical
March/April - ski

Don't like the making 2 mediocre trips vs having 1 great trip.
Why not swap the tropical trip to Nov or March/April and hold the Feb slot for skiing. I think you should be able to find lots of scuba options in Nov.

If you're deadset for a Nov ski trip, I agree don't commit to anything until the slopes open and be flexible. Pass options should also still be avail, so you don't need to commit to passes either, although you won't be getting lowest price.
You could also do something else in Nov other than ski.

For spring trip, Easter 2024 is march31, relatively early. Unfortunately customer behavior is tied to easter and therefore operations get correlated as well, so agree if lessons are required you can't gon't go too late into April in 2024. That being said, I think April will still have better options avail than Nov.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Many people on this board are advanced+ skiers and talk up the late season. I think it's fun skiing a lot of different snow conditions during the day. When you ski well, you can also move around the mountain and find the good pockets of protected snow in the morning. Then ski slush in the afternoon. This is not generally what beginner/intermediates find fun (at least the ones I talk to). They find it to be a lot of work and not much fun.
I confess that this is a good point.

Sponsor