• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First Trike Ride of 2022

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It was 60 degrees so I got my first ride in today, 1.5 hours and 17 miles. Skiing and trike riding in the same week! It’s not Heaven but I can see it from here.

A0F279BD-1C06-44BE-A4AB-6B51AE64EDA6.jpeg

My Catrike Dumont.

5C2B0FB9-4BD2-430C-B1B0-399522DF8303.jpeg

Ice fishing on Mascoma Lake.

9808A236-DF25-4DFB-AAED-7BC0FF941C91.jpeg

Mascoma Lake still fully iced in.

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Haha, man, that thingy looks soo cool need to try one of these.
The first time I got into one it was like getting into the cockpit of a small aircraft or sports car. They are fast. Plus sitting upright you see much more than on an upright bike. You lean into the corners at speed. It’s a hoot.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The first time I got into one it was like getting into the cockpit of a small aircraft or sports car. They are fast. Plus sitting upright you see much more than on an upright bike. You lean into the corners at speed. It’s a hoot.
My sister and brother-in-law ride trikes. They are more high-tech than they appear.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do those climb? I always hear that is their downfall, but I wonder if trikes don't climb well, or if trike riders don't climb well? :)

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could that be ridden by someone who doesn't have full knee ROM?

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
How do those climb? I always hear that is their downfall, but I wonder if trikes don't climb well, or if trike riders don't climb well? :)
I’ve not had problems climbing. I’ve got a pretty low grannie gear with the Rohloff hub. Plus I have pedal assist. I’m seeing how it climbs without using assistance. The only time I had problems was in sandy gravel climbing. The rear wheel does not have as much weight on it as an upright bike and spins. Also I have road tires on it. They make a variety of wide wheel versions.

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes. I have assist bars on mine to get in and out. There are crank add ons for people with knee issues. Here’s an example.

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
When do you move up to training wheels??? :duck:
I’m going to add these shortly to the rear wheel. Then the lower ones on the front wheels to be extra safe. I think I shouldn’t fall over with all 7 wheels working.

1648255915571.jpeg

1648255985840.jpeg

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
You may want to check this FaceBook group.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Full disclosure: I worked on recumbents many years ago, mostly building custom wheels. Very comfortable and efficient, and opens up cycling for folks who aren't comfortable or able to ride uprights. I haven't been able to work on any lately but I imagine they are even better than they were then. Did a bunch of wheelchair wheels for some basketball folks..they were hard on their gear..learned a bit about radial lacing.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Full disclosure: I worked on recumbents many years ago, mostly building custom wheels. Very comfortable and efficient, and opens up cycling for folks who aren't comfortable or able to ride uprights. I haven't been able to work on any lately but I imagine they are even better than they were then. Did a bunch of wheelchair wheels for some basketball folks..they were hard on their gear..learned a bit about radial lacing.
My sister, for whatever reason, cannot maintain her balance on an upright bike and rides a recumbent, as does her husband, who says its easier on his bad knees.

Since I enjoy the full range of body motion that comes with out-of-the-saddle climbs, etc, it’s not for me, but they are cool for the right person. And if they get people cycling who ordinarily wouldn’t, all the better.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve not had problems climbing. I’ve got a pretty low grannie gear with the Rohloff hub. Plus I have pedal assist. I’m seeing how it climbs without using assistance. The only time I had problems was in sandy gravel climbing. The rear wheel does not have as much weight on it as an upright bike and spins. Also I have road tires on it. They make a variety of wide wheel versions.
What is pedal assist?

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
What is pedal assist?
It’s an electric motor, either hub mounted or pedal mounted. They can be triggered by either cadence or torque. You can select the amount of assistance from none to the full power of the motor. They are great for "making hills smaller," or helping someone with a disability get home when they run out of steam.

For me it gets me up the hills in the area and opens up a whole range of roads and terrain. It also got me home once when my glucose crashed about a mile from home. If you look at my trike you can see the motor just under the pedals. The battery is near the rear wheel.

Sponsor

Staff online