• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
Looking at getting the Fischer Ranger Free 120 for sidecountry laps. Fit is "almost" good but looks like I'll need a punch out at the side of my big toe and maybe on the outside of the heel. Does the Grilamid shell support this? I can't seem to find any info on it online.

Also, if anybody is using this boot. How is your liner holding up? Looks like there's a known issue that at the ankle pivot points, liner is getting chewed up as there seems to be cutout that is "covered" by a flimsy piece of tape that I'm sure will come off after any amount of walking in the boot.

Anyway.. any info and thoughts would be great. Would like the boots to work as they are reasonable "light" and have a pretty usable walkmode for the type of touring I have in mind.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I have the Ranger Free 130 Walk DYN. Same construction and material as the 120, I believe.
I had some basic fitting work done, a simple punch at two spots. Just not by thermo-fitting, but by a skilled boot fitter who knows what he is doing.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I've got two seasons on my Ranger Frees. Probably 150 days or so as I rotate them with my Podiums. I have pretty significant punches on both boots, and they went in easy and have held fine. No problems with the liner. I will use them again next season. I have only done a few days of touring in them though, so I don't know if that causes the "known issue".

TS
S

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
@Erik Timmerman - When you toured, did you notice any icing issues with the ski/walk mechanism? Saw a review on Wildsnow where one commentator said that the mechanism has a tendency to ice up on tours as snow works it's way into that chamber.

Really want to like these boots as it's one of the few that fit my tall instep but seems like there are some fussy bits to consider.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
@Erik Timmerman - When you toured, did you notice any icing issues with the ski/walk mechanism? Saw a review on Wildsnow where one commentator said that the mechanism has a tendency to ice up on tours as snow works it's way into that chamber.

Really want to like these boots as it's one of the few that fit my tall instep but seems like there are some fussy bits to consider.

No I didn't. It sounds like you'd need a very specific set of circumstances for that to happen.

Sponsor

Staff online