• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Fischer RC4 The Curv GT 130 Vacuum Walk boot

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
u05120_rc4_the_curv_gt_130_dark_blue_01.jpg

All photos are from fischersport.com

It's time. I've been skiing in the Fischer RC4 Curv GT, the low volume boot in the RC4 Curv series, since the tail end of the 20-21 season. I have about 30 days in the boots now. These boots replace my Head Raptor 140s, which replaced a pair of Technica Cochise 130s.

Fischer has incorporated quite a few features in the RC4 The Curv line that make getting a precise fit a fairly simple process. These features include an adjustable foot board, adjustable forward lean, grindable tongue, lace liner, Phatt Maxx power strap, vacuum fitting, and a velcro adjustable 3D ankle. Basically, these boots make it easy for the boot tech or boot owner to customize the fit of the boot. The one adjustment that appears to be missing is the ability to cant the cuff, though I have been told different cams are available.

For me, the ability to move the tongue back and forth a bit (it attaches with velcro) made a quick difference in the pressure at the bend of my ankle. I also like that the backing on the tongue is fully removable to add or remove padding. The 3D ankle is a velcro "patch" that can be removed, moved, ground, or have a little bit of padding inserted to snug down the ankle as needed. The adjustable forward lean has the ability to go from a more relaxed 14° to a more aggressive 17° lean. Fischer provides what amounts to a heel lift to adjust the ramp angle in the boot.

Perhaps the most important feature of the boot, in my opinion, is the shape of the toe box. It's a little wider and a bit higher than other boots I've used or tried on. This allows for the heel to be locked in snuggly yet the forefoot and toes can spread out in a more natural manner. I had to punch my Raptors, both for my big toe and 6th toe, to achieve this. This extra room does not preclude the boot from being a high performance tool. I'm glad Fischer determined that it is possible to have both comfort and performance without the need for many skiers to punch and grind. The only modification I've done to the boot is a slight cant on the sole of my right foot and my custom footbeds. I'll probably do a cant on the left boot eventually but it isn't crucial. My Raptors had the same modification. Other than that, and repositioning the tongues slightly, no vacuum fitting, no ramp angle changes, nothing.

On the snow the RC4s have a very progressive flex and are easy to modulate pressure to the ski. I find as I snug the strap and upper buckles down the boots become exponentially stiffer (as they should) but they can can be skied quite well without going full crank on the buckles. As a high intermediate skier I appreciate the option. Edge to edge movements are quick and precise with no slop or wasted energy. The boots are fairly warm, and the expanded toe box allows for a sock that is a bit thicker in the toe area. The plastic is a Grilamid type, though I can't find exactly what the official name is. Flex is more consistant compared to a PU type shell as temperatures change. I have had no issues with the shell or liner in my Kulkea Thermal Trekker boot bag; I know that can be a concern especially for those skiers who have punched or custom work done on liners. The only nagging issue I've found, and one that I can fix but haven't yet, is when removing the boots the wings of the clog can tend to bite into my foot if I'm not spreading them wide enough. I think a little time with the grinder should at least make the edges not as sharp. I haven't used the liner as a lace up though that would probably alleviate the issue too.

Buckles are of the threaded micro/bale and catch macro adjustment type. The wide, non-elastic strap is easily clipped to and unclipped from the catch and snugs down by pulling the tail of the nylon webbing. A quick press on the release latch allows enough play to unclip the catch to remove the boot. There is adequate room on the strap for a battery pack for foot warmers. The Curv Walk comes with Grip Walk soles installed but they can be replaced with ISO 5355 flat soles. In a 27.5 the RC4 Curv GT 130 Vacuum Walk weighs in at 1814 grams, has a last of 98mm, and sole length of 314.

Overall, I have been very pleased with The Curv GT. It provides (for me) a very comfortable fit right out of the box. The numerous options for easy customization are a boon for both techs and wannabe techs. Quick adjustments can be made without resorting to tools that most skiers, and some shops, don't possess. Fischer also offers this high performance boot as The Curv (medium volume) and The Curv One (high volume). Flex offerings are 110/120/130/140 in The Curv GT, and 110/120/130 in The Curv and The Curv One. Lady's boots range 95/105/115 in the medium and low volume lines. Anyone who wants a bit more room but still demands a high performance level from a boot owes it to themselves to take a look at the Fischer RC4 Curv lineup. Because you CAN have both room and performance!

adjust_boot_board.jpg

The bootboard has the option to install or remove a wedge to adjust ramp angle.

adjustable_3d_ankle_part.jpg

The Velcro Adjustable 3D ankle is removable and can be repositioned and ground for a custom fit. Padding can also be installed.

grindable_tongue.jpg

The Grindable Tongue can be removed from the boot and the foam ground or more padding can be added. The hard plastic is also heat moldable.

adustable_forward_lean.jpg

Lean can be adjusted by removing two screws and flipping the plate.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have same boots but in 120. I am surprised though you didn't do the vacuum fit as that is the biggest feature for me. Must be lucky to have near factory feet as these were excruciating on me during the shell and out of the box fit but turned out great after the mold.

One aspect of the vacuum fit, is it should result in at least a free cant in the lower boot, as long as your footbed is good and you take the time to set up in the stand correctly...and without needing measurement, guesses, or shop work, just molding to your natural leg and your stance.
Here is my vacuumed boot, where I lined up sheet of paper exactly plumb to the floor and at the heel, the paper is lined exactly to the tip of the Fisher arrows (Photo angle might be off, but trust me that it is plumb). Notice by the time it gets to the cuff, the paper is now a bit left of the pull tab; so it has got a cant that matches my slight bowlegged from the lower boot. My right boot also picked up a cant from the vacuum but to the other side and to a slightly different angle.

20220126_185320.jpg

My previous vacuum boots had moldable upper and lower shell and would double cant through the molding. The current one I believe only the bottom is moldable plastic and the upper does not mold or cant during the vacuum. But it does has the eccentric screw and adjustment washers at the pivot. So you can still accomplish the same double cant but you need a fitter to help analyze and adjust it or get the right washers, rather then it just automatically happening for free during the vacuum.
I think though this decision for the upper to be regular plastic greatly improves the durability esp at the Pivot, and probably overall a good move.

[I did feel at the beginning my calves hitting the inside upper cuff a bit more than outside cuff; since the upper does not mold; so ideally my leg would want a bit of a different curve in the upper. But after some days, I think I broke in the liner more, and it isn't so bad anymore.]

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have same boots but in 120. I am surprised though you didn't do the vacuum fit as that is the biggest feature foe me. Must be lucky to have near factory feet as these were excruciating on me during the shell fit but turned out great after the mold.

One aspect of the vacuum fit, is it should result in at least a free cant in the lower boot, as long as your footbed is good and you take the time to set up in the stand correctly...and without measurement, just molding to your natural leg and your stance.
Here is my vacuumed boot, where I lined up sheet of paper exactly plumb to the floor and at the heel, the paper is lined exactly to the tip of the Fisher arrows (Photo angle might be off, but trust me that it is plumb). Notice by the time it gets to the cuff, the paper is now a bit left of the pull tab; so it has got a cant that matches my slight bowlegged from the lower section. My right boot is also customized but to the other side.

View attachment 157043

My previous vacuum boots had moldable upper and lower shell and would double cant through the molding. The current one only the bottom is moldable plastic and the upper does not cant during the mold. But it does has the eccentric screw and adjustment washers at the pivot. So you can still accomplish the same double cant but you need a fitter to help analyze and adjust it or get the right washers, rather then it just automatically getting it for free during the vacuum.
I think though this decision for the upper to be regular plastic greatly improved the durability esp at the Pivot, and probably a good move.
I'm fortunate the boots are very comfy as is though one of these days I may try the vacuum feature. If it's not broke fix it until it is!

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the write up @Andy Mink I've been looking at these as they are narrower than most LV and would love to get my foot in one but it looks like the women's 22.5 in 115 or 105 can only be found "in store" -- no boot fitters carrying Fisher in my ski town --@Andy Mink and @raytseng care to share where you obtained yours? also trying to find the BSL's -thanks!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mine were from local bootfitter calskico in berkeley, ca that do quite a few vacuums. I know a couple shops in south lake tahoe also do vacuums, or at least used to.

There should've been a dealer finder tool on fischer website, with a filter for vacuum fit dealers, but it doesn't seem to have been loaded or updated, so it is not working.

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the write up @Andy Mink I've been looking at these as they are narrower than most LV and would love to get my foot in one but it looks like the women's 22.5 in 115 or 105 can only be found "in store" -- no boot fitters carrying Fisher in my ski town --@Andy Mink and @raytseng care to share where you obtained yours? also trying to find the BSL's -thanks!
My boots came from Fischer as a test/review pair.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe they would also want to send a women's pair in size 22.5 to a low volume mobile footed high dorsiflexing female for review?
I believe these boots and the Head Raptor WCR are the few female boots narrower than 98 before going to a race boot.......

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe they would also want to send a women's pair in size 22.5 to a low volume mobile footed high dorsiflexing female for review?
That would be a question for Fischer or @Tricia. ;)

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I believe these boots and the Head Raptor WCR are the few female boots narrower than 98 before going to a race boot.......
Generally they don't have 22.5 (or even 23.5) for review. Most of the time their sample sizes are 24.5 for women and 26.5 or 27.5 for men.

Beyond that, its pretty tought to get any product for review now days with the supply chain issues

264 in 22.5

Where are you located or what is your ski town?

I believe Footloose in Mammoth carries Fischer.
She is SoCal.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks everyone, makes sense with the supply chain and the sizing on samples for a more average length foot. Trust me I have been looking at new boots starting pre covid and now with limited supply etc, we are focusing on next year.
I do work with Footloose, and I've been in there 3 times this week :) I do not believe they have Fischer as I have tried on every LV boot....
(I will double check).I will also check the Mountain demo boots to see if they have any. I would love to have a lighter weight option if that works with my foot vs a plug (that is what my fitter is suggesting), and am glad to see that Fischer is making a narrower last LV boot.
Since the website states that the 22.5 can only be found in stores.... I guess I would be heading to Tahoe/Reno.....

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I would be heading to Tahoe/Reno.....
Definitely a call first kind of plan! Of course you can ski, then go look. Now that's a plan!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, that's a darn nice change from the Raptors. Also easier to remove in the parking lot?
Yes, though I never really had a real bad time getting Raptors off unless it was absolutely frigid. Except for the "bite" that I noted, they're a bit easier to get off. I think the extra forefoot room allows a bit thicker toe on the sock so that might help with warmth.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink, I'm curious whether or not you had to "gas pedal" your bindings with this new boot like you did with your Raptors, or if that need went away with the new shoes?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink, I'm curious whether or not you had to "gas pedal" your bindings with this new boot like you did with your Raptors, or if that need went away with the new shoes?
I have not needed to. I did try the 17° setting today which is, I believe, the same as the Raptors. Didn't care for it, got more thigh burn. I will be putting it back to 14° for a bit more relaxed stance.

One thing that played into the gas pedal was my calves and shins were, um, fatter. I was getting pushed even further forward in the Raptors. My new skinnier legs don't do that as much. Where I liked the Marker negative delta demo bindings with the Raptors I couldn't find a happy spot with the Fischers. I felt like I was constantly off balance.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I am going to add a few more tid-bits. I have in rotation the Fischer RC4 Curv One (130) which is the HV version and the Ranger One (130), with tech fittings, both in 27.5.

The Fischer rep indicated the clog volume between these 2 would be very similar, they are close, but the Ranger One definitely has more volume in the clog.

The stock liner in the RC4 Curv feels nicer than the Ranger version and it is a lace up option. I used it once day and tossed it in the box and put my Zipfits in. The Ranger stock liner was good for ~25 days, I am willing to bet the RC4 liner will last a tad longer and is firmer material. But if you are used to an aftermarket liner these stock Fischer liners are OK, and probably average or maybe slightly above average for stock liners. I did vacuum fit once I put the Zipfits in.

I am running the grip walk soles and the RC4’s Curv are cantable (w/ cantaology shims). During the grinding/routering process, since the rear heel lugs are ‘open’ not solid the tech felt he would be able to get up to about 4.5 deg before having an issue with the open heel lug. I am only at 1.5 deg.

The Phat Maxx strap had to go, it has zero give and I thought it made the boot feel dead. I swapped it out for a WC Booster strap. I did like the clip on the Fischer strap and wish booster had something similar.

As @Andy Mink mentioned the 14 vs 17 deg lean adjustment is easy, I have mine still at 14 as the 17 was just too much for me. Upper cuff alignment is super easy too.

The buckles are decent, I have only broken one so far this year and that was due to an impact with another person. Since I use Zipfit liners I rarely adjust the buckles during the day.

Flex on the RC4 feels reasonable for a 130, they feel stiffer than my 130 Rangers (which are noted as soft for a 130). But they do feel softer that I would prefer and will likely ask the rep about a different option for next year. But Flex is so subjective and only being 5’6”, flex to me will be very different than to @Andy Mink as he is much taller, and we are built different.

tempImageAHiWrK.png

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Phat Maxx strap
I do think the stock strap on the Raptor is one if the best out there. If I recall correctly it is a Booster brand for Head. I've never used a Booster aftermarket so no comparison there. That might be next on the list.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Perhaps I have my boot concepts confused but how can a 100mm boot be considered a "low volume" boot. I was always under the impression that a LV boot was say 98mm or less in last width.

Sponsor

Staff online