• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fisher Topsheet Edge Chipping Opinion

James

Out There
Instructor
That video and the linked tool are for cutting back the sidewall in the tip and tail area. While that is another important step in prepping a new ski, it is completely unrelated to what is being discussed above. What myself, and others, are recommending it to take that panzer file at roughly 45 degrees and round off the corner where the topsheet meets the sidewall. This should be done on the entire length of the top sheet, except under the bindings.

View attachment 220264
Agreed. The tool is actually a top sheet remover for shovel and tail but it’s not at such a high angle, only 20deg. It’s pretty new, never seen it.

I find power tools are the best way to rough the top sheet/sidewall edge. The drum sander drill attachment linked at the beginning is pretty good. Used to be standard at most hardware stores, alas it isn’t anymore. I’ve also used a disc pad on a drill, but it’s more difficult to control if you’ve never used one.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Agreed. The tool is actually a top sheet remover for shovel and tail but it’s not at such a high angle, only 20deg. It’s pretty new, never seen it.
I have seen one before, but branded under the Snoli name. Seems pretty pointless to me. Due to the multiple radius at play with both the sidecut of the ski and tip/tail rise, I find it much easier to follow those curves freehand.
I find power tools are the best way to rough the top sheet/sidewall edge. The drum sander drill attachment linked at the beginning is pretty good. Used to be standard at most hardware stores, alas it isn’t anymore. I’ve also used a disc pad on a drill, but it’s more difficult to control if you’ve never used one.
As long as you are OK with a mess of aluminum, plastic, and glass fiber dust flying everywhere.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I toss skisaver on all my skis and my kids skis. Problem solved.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For top sheet ”edges”, I just use sandpaper on a block. Easy. No need for machines.