• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Good luck. Why do you use wire instead of non-stretch synthetic? Is it for the sink rate? Why not down riggers? Sorry for all the questions. Sounds like interesting fishing.
The wire is for sinking. He's done it this way for decades. It's called long lining, I believe. He has downriggers too though I've not used them. If he chooses that way tomorrow that's what we'll do. Any way you slice it, it should be good day on Tahoe!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Pulling out the heavy metal. My FiL and I are going deep for mackinaw at Tahoe tomorrow. We troll about 200' down using single strand stainless steel wire on big Penn Senator 113H reels. I think there's about 7-800' of wire out with big flashers and a minnow. It's fun but can tiring as the line has to come in to turn the boat. Hopefully I'll have good pictures tomorrow!
View attachment 203825 View attachment 203826
Penn 113H, isn't that the faster version of the Penn 4.0 Senetor? I think I have one of those but no wire just 40 lbs brade and I use it for deep water bottom fishing. Nice.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I camped and fished in Cimarron canyon New Mexico after skiing Breck and caught my first fish in 40 years. I know I'm not holding him right but I'm total catch and release.
IMG20230512135853.jpg

IMG20230512204126.jpg

IMG20230512200122.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We did OK today. Got our limit, though nothing really big. Well, except for the 10# downrigger weight with all the tackle that goes with it. I thought I had the cork at the bottom of the lake. It was out about 600' and down 200'.
20230519_134826.jpg
20230519_154202.jpg
4992.jpeg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know I'm not holding him right but I'm total catch and release.
You don’t eat fish? If I were you I would be eat trout every day lol. I wish we had trout in Texas, lakes and rivers get too hot for them.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
You don’t eat fish? If I were you I would be eat trout every day lol. I wish we had trout in Texas, lakes and rivers get too hot for them.
I love fish and veggies. Headed to Taos tomorrow to pick up my motorcycle with my wife and we'll fish again and dine on them. I followed your cooking instructions and will bake them at the campground.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know zero about fishing for trout. I sure want to do it. I guess this is a really nice time to camp in the mountains. Next season I may try a May trip, camp, fly fish, and ski... I have always wanted to camp and ski, but just too dang cold in March.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know zero about fishing for trout.
Rule #1 is don't stick your finger in the mouth.

We had a guy come to work with us years ago. He was new to the Reno area and an avid bass fisherman. He asked me where to fish for bass around Reno. I told him I didn't know since we fished for fish with teeth!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do we fish for fish but not deer for deer or elk for elk? "I'm going elking."

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Rule #1 is don't stick your finger in the mouth.

We had a guy come to work with us years ago. He was new to the Reno area and an avid bass fisherman. He asked me where to fish for bass around Reno. I told him I didn't know since we fished for fish with teeth!
Meh. Trout teeth, pretty manageable, unless it's a REALLY big fish, I suppose. Their jaw muscles aren't that strong. If you're going to release the fish, it's one of the only places to get a good grip without injuring the fish.

Saltwater fish - a whole different ballgame. You can lose a finger just like that. I grew up fishing for bluefish and learned that lesson early. I remember a fish that had clamped down so hard on a plug that we only managed to get it out of the mouth on a post-mortem basis, when we cleaned it. Took some heavy tools.

1684783166307.png

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trout teeth, pretty manageable, unless it's a REALLY big fish, I suppose. Their jaw muscles aren't that strong.
They don't necessarily bite you as much as the teeth will slice you. Even the little ones. Still, better than a shark.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

You don’t eat fish? If I were you I would be eat trout every day lol.

Sorry in advance for being such an FE. Delete now, maybe.

Thinking that might not be a trout, @Tex . Several things argue against it. Compare the pectoral fins with @Andy Mink 's fish (even accounting for abrasion from riverbed in Snowfan's case). Also the view of the back half of the fish in Snowfan's hand appears to show discrete scales. Just doesn't look like a trout to my experienced eye. Not up on my western stream fish but if it were here I'd guess Chub. Also, a fish handled after being that sandy seems unlikely to make it.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thinking that might not be a trout, @Tex .
I didn't think it was a trout either, but I never said it was. I said I would be eating trout every night. Looks like some kinda bottom eating scavenger fish.

Uncle-A

Skier
Meh. Trout teeth, pretty manageable, unless it's a REALLY big fish, I suppose. Their jaw muscles aren't that strong. If you're going to release the fish, it's one of the only places to get a good grip without injuring the fish.

Saltwater fish - a whole different ballgame. You can lose a finger just like that. I grew up fishing for bluefish and learned that lesson early. I remember a fish that had clamped down so hard on a plug that we only managed to get it out of the mouth on a post-mortem basis, when we cleaned it. Took some heavy tools.

View attachment 204135
You definitely don't want to mess with a Bluefish I have caught many and they even have bit through a wire leader. They are why you have to keep long nose plyers in your tackle box.

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
I know zero about fishing for trout. I sure want to do it. I guess this is a really nice time to camp in the mountains. Next season I may try a May trip, camp, fly fish, and ski... I have always wanted to camp and ski, but just too dang cold in March.
My friends call it the "grand slam" but at Mammoth that means: camping, fly fishing, golf, hot springs and skiing. Sometimes all in the same day :cool:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My friends call it the "grand slam" but at Mammoth that means: camping, fly fishing, golf, hot springs and skiing. Sometimes all in the same day :cool:
But.. but.... but.... that FIVE things! Something is amiss with your grand slam!

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In fly fishing, a Sierra slam is a rainbow, brown, brook, and golden trout. This can be, and has been, had within a day trip near the town of Mammoth Lakes. The Middle Fork of the San Joaquin River that runs through Devil's Postpile Monument provides.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I still have a have a nice scar on my thumb from a bluefish. Was catching stripers in the dark off a jetty and went to lip one that turned out to be a yellow eyed demon. Thankfully it was was a smaller one but still left a good gash. Should have gotten stitches but it was day 1 of a fishing vacation and nothing that a bottle of peroxide, super glue and some tape couldn’t fix. :nono: Young and dumb.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
I still have a have a nice scar on my thumb from a bluefish. Was catching stripers in the dark off a jetty and went to lip one that turned out to be a yellow eyed demon. Thankfully it was was a smaller one but still left a good gash. Should have gotten stitches but it was day 1 of a fishing vacation and nothing that a bottle of peroxide, super glue and some tape couldn’t fix. :nono: Young and dumb.
It must have been very dark to confuse a striper with a bluefish.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
we're heading out today. Would like some walleye, but the white bass are so thick right now that's probably all we'll catch. But it's fun. Sometimes you can't get one rod back in the water because you have one on the other already.

Sponsor

Staff online