• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The fires and low snow packs the last 5 years have done crazy things to one of my fishing spots. The bug life is near gone, and there's lots of algae in the water. The few fish left are a little leaner and maybe longer.

Here's the best one from yesterday's day trip.

Lumsden_14rainbow_0974.jpg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Going through some old pics, found this gem, my daughter catching a monster bluegill!!! This was 2006, Lake Ouachita AR, Cristal Springs Resort...Great place...

DSC02761 (2).JPG

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Going through some old pics, found this gem, my daughter catching a monster bluegill!!! This was 2006, Lake Ouachita AR, Cristal Springs Resort...Great place...

View attachment 144305
That is a great picture, I have a daughter and I took her fishing starting when she was seven. See page one of this thread.

Reactions: Tex

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Tony Storaro we have whole bunch of snow already and some more coming in next 30h. Considering size of country, anywhere you are, you cant be more then hour of drive away from snow :)
If you have ski gear with you, let me know it would be could to go for some ski tour together :)
Ps: if we have monsters like this in our rivers, it's no wonder I don't like swimming :D

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have ski gear with you, let me know it would be could to go for some ski tour together :)
Ps: if we have monsters like this in our rivers, it's no wonder I don't like swimming :D

Sadly no-to the first part.

The second-this is THE KING of Slovenian rivers, the most prized catch-the mighty Hucho hucho.
Fishing for it can be even MORE frustrating than fishing for steelhead or salmon-cold weather, often raining and you make cast after cast after cast....ad infinitum. 99% of the time you catch absolutely nothing and only on very rare occasions you get lucky.

Unlike salmon however, the Hucho actually hunts/eats the fly out of hunger. Sometimes they get real greedy and see what happens then:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Now that would be interesting way to die... my food got stuck in my mount :roflmao:
Well next time bring your skis, now I think winter is saved and will be cool one. And if you will still be around this winter, please let me know. As I wrote, it would be really cool to meet you and get a ski tour together :)

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Sadly no-to the first part.

The second-this is THE KING of Slovenian rivers, the most prized catch-the mighty Hucho hucho.
Fishing for it can be even MORE frustrating than fishing for steelhead or salmon-cold weather, often raining and you make cast after cast after cast....ad infinitum. 99% of the time you catch absolutely nothing and only on very rare occasions you get lucky.

Unlike salmon however, the Hucho actually hunts/eats the fly out of hunger. Sometimes they get real greedy and see what happens then:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I had no idea that there were viable populations in Europe.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will be near Park City Utah next week with teenagers. If there's any hints on wear to fish smaller/wadable streams, etc please PM.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Put 21 crappie in the freezer yesterday, really nice day on the water...I might go again in the morning, need to stock up for winter. Probably got 80 in the freezer now from this years catch, that's 160 fillets.

2022-07-02 fish.jpeg

6D91353F-C788-4F97-9365-83352899B694.jpeg

1135CB0E-DA07-46C2-8E31-68CD87846C21.jpeg

This area here I caught 12 keepers, that is like 12 spots, so on average 1 keeper per spot. It’s a lot of work, I got from spot to spot, and catch the aggressive fish, then move on to the next spot.

6FF11427-4543-4833-AE75-CF3F952B9F03.jpeg

This graph here, that is crappie on the right bottom around the tree, in the middle what looks like a tornado that is shad, then top left those are sandbass. Those sandbass are chasing the shade, they come and go, but drop a jig on the sandbass you catch one instantly, the are little fighters too.

32399213-41B2-4C32-8350-B932CBEDF563.jpeg

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Put 21 crappie in the freezer yesterday
It's been many years since I've fished, but I've caught a bunch of crappie before and never thought to eat them. Of course, I've never eaten anything I caught - cleaning them always seemed like too much work. So it was catch and release. But you've got me thinking I'd like to actually catch my dinner sometime...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It's been many years since I've fished, but I've caught a bunch of crappie before and never thought to eat them. Of course, I've never eaten anything I caught - cleaning them always seemed like too much work. So it was catch and release. But you've got me thinking I'd like to actually catch my dinner sometime...
Catch and Release is only good if you are not going to eat what you catch. I have a rule about fishing, if you are not going to eat it you should release it. I don't keep anything I don't eat, but there isn't much fish I don't eat.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But you've got me thinking I'd like to actually catch my dinner sometime

I've been pretty lucky catching my fish dinner.
My favorite fishing hole.
1656907890423.png

• Haha
Reactions: Tex

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I knew it was going to be a store before the picture came up on the phone. But I would have thought you knew better fishing holes than this one.

I do. But then a pic of the local Chinatown seafood restaurant won't be half as funny or recognizable. Here is a pic for reference.
1656946963314.png

I know, not the same impact.
Just be thankful I didn't posted pic of a box of Mrs. Paul's fish stick.

1656947017131.png

"100% REAL fish"? :huh: Are there vegetables out there self identified as fish nowadays. I am sure no self respecting ribeye or NY strip would self identify as a piece of fish. Those damn vegans.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
It is a lot of work, and you have to enjoy it. I love the culinary side of hunting and fishing. Crappie is an awesome fresh water fish for eating, very delicate white meat, with no bloodline to cut out. Most fresh water fish have a bloodline you have to cut out of the fillets, but not crappie.

I eat it 2 ways mainly, fried like Long John Silvers. Or on cast iron, healthy way, the way my wife likes it. Cooked these for her recently, just seasoned salt and pepper and olive oil, now a little butter also would be great but she does not like that..These I used lemon pepper..

IMG_4081[1].JPG

You can see after 1 flip, the crappie is falling apart it is so delicate and delicious...

IMG_4092[1].JPG

This is Long John Silver Style!! I might have to serve up a mess of fried crappie at the Taoa gathering! Cooked these while I was camping and duck hunting...

IMG_7498.JPG
IMG_7517.JPG

IMG_7520.JPG

Bonus pic...
IMG_7502.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online