• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

Lane Myer

Putting on skis
Skier
Kinda funny that one of my first posts on a skiing site is to an old fishing thread, but I know more about fishing than I do about skiing so figured why not. From the opener in mid-May to the beginning of ice up in the fall our family spends as much time as possible chasing walleyes at the cabin in northern MN. Our fishing opener weekend tradition consists of brandy old fashioneds (a WI tradition imported to MN) and walleye tacos.....assuming of course the fish cooperate.

This is my preferred view during the non-skiing months....
Rainy.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Behold the smallest flounder ever caught by a grown man, at least to my knowledge. He was embarrassed for me. St. George Is, FL, surf fishing, 12/31/20.
View attachment 119786
Not sure about that, I might have caught something smaller. When they are that small we call them postage stamps. One of the guys I fish with will joke and imitate a child's voice crying "MOM MA, MOM MA".

Uncle-A

Skier
How do you know that fresh water fishing is dead in your state?
Saturday 10 April 2021 was opening day of trout fishing season here in NJ. Traditionally the next days Sunday paper has a lot of coverage of the opening day activities. I looked in one of NJ major news paper and not a word was written. It is disappointing to see stuff that has been a tradition just disappear. I hope it doesn't happen to skiing.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Cool, that's a fish I always wanted to catch.
They are fun on the fly. Anything is fun on fly. Down there we use 20# flouro leaders so you don’t even have to let them run much. Reds are a different story - they will break it off. Problem with fishing in mixed waters is I’m not good at knowing what I got until the red breaks off. The boy is much better than I am at it.

Reactions: Tex

Uncle-A

Skier
What kinda fish is that? Salt or Fresh? Looks like Strippers we catch in Texas, but not as big!
That is a saltwater striped bass I caught about 1.5 miles off the beach in NJ. There are hybrids in the striped bass family that are stocked fresh water fish, they don't get as big as the saltwater wild ones, but I have not caught any of those.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Cool, we catch fresh water Stripers on big Texas lakes. I didn’t mean to say strippers above, I stay away from them, they are crazy! :roflmao:

Uncle-A

Skier
A couple of days ago, my friend caught a 79 pound White Sea Bass off Newport Beach, CA. Pending world record for #50 line class! View attachment 132232
I am not familiar with that Pacific White Sea Bass fish, I am going to have to Google it to learn more about it. But any fish at 79 pounds must have been a fun catch.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Caught these crappie on Lake Fork Texas, it's legendary for big crappie and large mouth bass. The big one was 14 inches, the other 2 over 13 inches. I had one that was so big, I could not get it in the boat. I got a 10 foot pole, 6lb test line, I tried to swing it into the back of the boat and line snapped just before I got it in! I should have used my net!! Damitt!!!

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6643.JPG

This lay down tree is really cool. You can see it is like 60 foot long, and it is just loaded with fish. And I could not trick any of them to bite my jig. I tried all jig colors too. The fish just did not want to play. If you dropped a minnow down there they would probably bite that, but I like to trick them with a jig!!

IMG_6634.JPG

3 crappie make a good dinner, that is 6 fillets that is a lot for me. And 3 big ones, that is a really big dinner. Most will tell you crappie is the best eating fresh water fish in Texas. Once you fillet them, there is no blood line to remove, it is all good white meat, clean off some on unwanted fish parts off the edges, rinse with clean water and you are done....

IMG_9910.JPG

IMG_9913.JPG

With excess water drained off, I drop them in to zip lock bag of "Louisiana Fish Fry New Orleans Style", into peanut oil 350 degrees, 2 and a half minutes. Drop the big ones in first, normally it takes half a minute to drop the last one in, so some only cook 2 minutes which is the minimum all they need.

IMG_9920.JPG

IMG_9935.JPG

IMG_9942.JPG

With some of my home made tarter sauce and some of my son's home made bean soup.

IMG_9949.JPG

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
Caught these crappie on Lake Fork Texas, it's legendary for big crappie and large mouth bass. The big one was 14 inches, the other 2 over 13 inches. I had one that was so big, I could not get it in the boat. I got a 10 foot pole, 6lb test line, I tried to swing it into the back of the boat and line snapped just before I got it in! I should have used my net!! Damitt!!!

View attachment 133890

View attachment 133891

This lay down tree is really cool. You can see it is like 60 foot long, and it is just loaded with fish. And I could not trick any of them to bite my jig. I tried all jig colors too. The fish just did not want to play. If you dropped a minnow down there they would probably bite that, but I like to trick them with a jig!!

View attachment 133892

3 crappie make a good dinner, that is 6 fillets that is a lot for me. And 3 big ones, that is a really big dinner. Most will tell you crappie is the best eating fresh water fish in Texas. Once you fillet them, there is no blood line to remove, it is all good white meat, clean off some on unwanted fish parts off the edges, rinse with clean water and you are done....

View attachment 133893

View attachment 133894

With excess water drained off, I drop them in to zip lock bag of "Louisiana Fish Fry New Orleans Style", into peanut oil 350 degrees, 2 and a half minutes. Drop the big ones in first, normally it takes half a minute to drop the last one in, so some only cook 2 minutes which is the minimum all they need.

View attachment 133899

View attachment 133900

View attachment 133901

With some of my home made tarter sauce and some of my son's home made bean soup.

View attachment 133902
Looks good, fun to catch and good to eat.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got this small rainbow, a big one and a brookie on the Adrooscoogin River near the NH/ME border. It used to be one of the most polluted rivers in the country however is now one of the better salmanoid fisheries in the area We paddled about 15 miles in 3 hours, not bad for breaking my collarbone six weeks ago.

Last Sunday i got a big ass sea robin which is a junkfish on Cape Cod. A guy said they are tasty - you just have to cut around the poisonous sacs.

1622498929799~2.jpg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
One thing I have learned over the years, crappie like this color jig in the morning because it looks like a tequila sunrise..

791EB60C-72A5-4FC1-A807-316846774CF0.jpeg

In the afternoon, they prefer this color because it looks like a margarita.

60976608-3EF6-425F-A19F-892FBE8D8D8C.jpeg

This is just Texas crappie though!!!

Sponsor

Staff online