• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_9113 copy.jpg
IMG_9099.JPG

Happy days!

P.S. These are fish no more than 5 years old. 5 years ago there was absolutely nothing in this river and now we catch rainbows 70+ cm and browns 60+cm, absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Smallmouth bass from Mexico ME. Not your typical fishing spot, but these river bass fight hard and are well fed

Attachments

• 20210912_111024.jpg
    20210912_111024.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210912_113530.jpg
    20210912_113530.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 17

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you from Mexico and a local spot? Or visiting?
Nope, I live about 25 miles south of Boston. Our small place in Maine is west of Mexico. I saw an article about that stretch of the Androosciogin so had to check it out. We fished for about 2 hours as Mexico adds 30 minutes to the ride home, and I wanted to get home to watch the Patriots lose. I got two and my buddy 3 including a big one.

The stretch a ways upstream near the NH border is loaded with big trout and some landlocked salmon, best accessed by small craft. The river must have been widened over the years to float timber, so the shallow sections would make a motor annoying to use. It was called the most polluted river in the northeast but is better now. I might swim in the upstream section but would avoid eating the fish.

But there's much better fishing in other areas so I wouldn't suggest anyone bother fishing in western maine. I thought it was funny fishing across from a paper mill actively discharging into the river.

Reactions: Tex

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting post ^^^. I just happened to be in Mexico/Rumford last week. Nice scenery around, but the smell from the paper mill could knock a buzzard off a garbage truck.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting post ^^^. I just happened to be in Mexico/Rumford last week. Nice scenery around, but the smell from the paper mill could knock a buzzard off a garbage truck.

The smell on sunday was noticeable but not overpowering. I will probably try downstream next time I head over there.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Coho or silver. was mighty tasty, cooked on the bbq
I like to cook salmon on the grill, and if you have the skin on the filet it helps when cooking. A good rule of thumb for fish is ten minutes per inch of thickness but I tend to use a warmer grill then many.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like to cook salmon on the grill, and if you have the skin on the filet it helps when cooking. A good rule of thumb for fish is ten minutes per inch of thickness but I tend to use a warmer grill then many.
I have a gas barbecue which I like a lot. I cook a salmon fillet on a piece of tinfoil skin side down. Cook it until white fat globules start forming, turn it over leaving the skin on the tinfoil, placing the fillet back on the skin, then another three minutes or so on side two. I use a hot fire and total time is usually less than 10 minutes, but I like my salmon a bit on the rare side.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have a gas barbecue which I like a lot. I cook a salmon fillet on a piece of tinfoil skin side down. Cook it until white fat globules start forming, turn it over leaving the skin on the tinfoil, placing the fillet back on the skin, then another three minutes or so on side two. I use a hot fire and total time is usually less than 10 minutes, but I like my salmon a bit on the rare side.
Sounds like you have a good method. I like mine a bit more than rare. I have used tinfoil also but I seal it in a tent like package skin side down, that it speeds up the cooking and no need to flip. When done the skin stays with the foil and I can peel the meat off the skin without any problem.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I cook it directly on the grill. I like to eat the skin so i char the skin side pretty good and then flip it. Hardwood fire imparts a great flavor in salmon but i have been lazy and use the gas.

I like it lightly blackened or with siracha majo before cooking. When i first heard of the mayonnaise treatment it sounded gross but its more to retain moisture... and then theres tuna, tartar sauce, lobster roll etc

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
End of season 2021.jpg

And so, the 2021 trout season is officially closed. Today was the last day and coincidentally-the best day this year.
Stopped counting after 20 fish over 40 cm, quite a few of them-over 50.
ALL on dry fly. Frankly, couldn't be happier.

Now, on to new adventures I guess...

Sponsor

Staff online