• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Nope... just curious which of those it may be from @Guy in Shorts's point of view.
Wife will cook up the Perch to make fish tacos. We took the fish that where injured. We fish here year round so we release big fish for the thrill of catching them again. If a big trout had been nabbed it would have gone home to the smoker.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
cf8784y.jpg

As our winter days now grow longer, these fishing posts are telling me that I need to purchase this year's expensive California fishing license.

Last summer of 2022, two of us backpacked into the John Muir Wilderness to the Hilton /creek Lakes where right after arrival to our camp spot late morning within 45 minutes was cooking these 3 rainbow trout for lunch. Lake just below 10k elevation had an abundance of 3 species.

TQ00283-00326-5x1vy.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wife will cook up the Perch to make fish tacos. We took the fish that where injured. We fish here year round so we release big fish for the thrill of catching them again. If a big trout had been nabbed it would have gone home to the smoker.
When fishing in Wisconsin, we release the big muskies and keep the Northern pike to eat as they are tasty and most lakes have no limits. Northerns are not prized by most fisherman, but my father-in-law knew what he was talking about and could filet them very quickly.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
When fishing in Wisconsin, we release the big muskies and keep the Northern pike to eat as they are tasty and most lakes have no limits. Northerns are not prized by most fisherman, but my father-in-law knew what he was talking about and could filet them very quickly.
Having a good sharp filet knife is one of the key tool for most fisherman, the second is knowing how to use it for each of the different fish. Sounds like your father-in-law knows his way around the correct method.

Uncle-A

Skier
I'm with yeah D, I would have dropped that snow bass in hot grease. I fish to eat, I love the culinary side of fishing. I have friends that sport fish they are always trying to get me to go with them, not interested.
I eat most of what I catch but if I am not going to eat it, the fish is going back into the ocean. We really can't afford to over fish our favorite fishing spots.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I eat most of what I catch but if I am not going to eat it, the fish is going back into the ocean. We really can't afford to over fish our favorite fishing spots.
When I'm crappie fishing, I catch a lot of sand bass and catfish, I let them all go, mainly because I'm after crappie and that is what I want to eat. But I know many that crappie fish all the time, their freezer is full of fish so they catch and release. So they are just fishing for sport, I have no issue with that, but just me personally, I would not do that, just not interested, that is just me though.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Took the first few casts of the season. I didn’t get any bites but came across this cool Mishoon canoe.
View attachment 197276
Why do you think it was for moonshine? That is for sure old, a carved out log. But not that old, no way it has been sitting there since the prohibition. I would think the boat was recently used sitting there like that.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Ok, another joke that went over my head I guess..
EFCB447B-1628-42F2-821B-1F8407498C7D.jpeg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Just getting started with crappie season. Last week was tough, my first time on the since early January, fished hard and only 3 keepers. Today the bite was a lot better, put 7 in the cooler pretty quick then I lost top section of my crappie pole, my nice AAC pole. That ended my fishing.

1C2CEA1D-EE13-49EF-9292-E78AAF4EA207.jpeg

6931B0EE-F042-4ACA-9B7A-F0A663D81D70.jpeg

slowrider

Trencher
Skier

Uncle-A

Skier
Just getting started with crappie season. Last week was tough, my first time on the since early January, fished hard and only 3 keepers. Today the bite was a lot better, put 7 in the cooler pretty quick then I lost top section of my crappie pole, my nice AAC pole. That ended my fishing.

View attachment 200608

View attachment 200609
There has to be a story about the loss of the top section of the crappy pole.

• Haha
Reactions: Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
There has to be a story about the loss of the top section of the crappy pole.
I had this biggest crappie ever, I’m not kidding I go to set the hook on this monster crappie, I blinked, line broke, and when I look up top section of my pole is gone!!! Not sure if in front of me or back of me, it was just gone!

Uncle-A

Skier
I had this biggest crappie ever, I’m not kidding I go to set the hook on this monster crappie, I blinked, line broke, and when I look up top section of my pole is gone!!! Not sure if in front of me or back of me, it was just gone!
Fresh line at the beginning of the season broke?

Sponsor

Staff online