• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flat Lands of MN

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When the speed bumps have elevation markers, you know it's flat.

And the freeway overpasses have Strava Leaderboards! ;)

Right there with @crgildart: Babbitt class of 77, Giants Ridge Ski Patrol brat, then actual ski patroller, then out to the mountainous west.

My Dad says when I got back from Big Mountain as a wide-eyed 4th grader he knew I'd never last in MN. He was right, and now I'm back at Big Mountain (or Whitefish Mountain). One of the (many) plusses to marrying a Montana girl.

TS
Flatlander

Flatlander

Booting up
Skier
Hey, Gary! It's Skip, and no, not going to make it to Aspen. Might be able to get out west for a ski trip, but not to Aspen.

Nate L

Putting on skis
Skier
Also Minnesotan (again, after moving back from Texas), was a member of the Epic Ski forums posting many years ago, but just joined this forum recently.

Hitting Welch Village tomorrow after doing Afton Wednesday! Also have Lutsen, Spirit Mountain, Giants Ridge and Wild Mountain on this year's To Do, but will do most daily driving at Afton.

TS
Flatlander

Flatlander

Booting up
Skier
Hello everyone! Sending this from Lutsen, the non-flattest part of Minnesota. Just getting in some pre-Montana skiing for the weekend, since there's no Vikings game to watch.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Went to undergraduate college in Chicago area and insisted on brining my skis. I forget the name of the ski area but skied a place in Illinois that was built on old garbage/dump mound, drove 3 hours to ski 500+/- vertical area in Wisconsin and eventually married a Minnesotan. We skied a few of the Minnesota places over the years when visiting family. It made me appreciate my Vermont/Northern NE roots but was still a lot of fun with familiar vibe and people. And, the night skiing was ever present and a sub-culture of its own.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello everyone! Sending this from Lutsen, the non-flattest part of Minnesota. Just getting in some pre-Montana skiing for the weekend, since there's no Vikings game to watch.

How were the conditions? I know they got a ton of snow in December...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

If that happens to be Whitefish Mountain, give me a shout, and I'll show you around!

As a kid, I logged more than one trip from MN to Bridger in the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.....

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I forget the name of the ski area but skied a place in Illinois that was built on old garbage/dump mound,
The answer is easy, Dexter said it...Brighton (and Teej defined it "a 3 hundred feet (or was it meters?) landfill"
:-D

Last edited:
TS
Flatlander

Flatlander

Booting up
Skier
I'm terrible at posting on here, but Lutsen was fun. No new snow while we were there, but good coverage on the mountain. We stayed in Duluth, so we had a two-hour drive up each morning but it was still fun.

Sponsor