• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flood Damage to Skis and Bindings?

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
Hey all, some of my ski equipment I have stored in North America (which I've unfortunately not been able to use for the past two years) got flooded after Hurricane Ida and I'm looking at possible insurance claims. Would skis (wood core) and bindings submerged in brackish flood waters for many hours be considered damaged? As I live overseas I can't assess for myself hands on. I suspect that bindings should definitely not be trusted again. But what about the skis? is a claim legitimate?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'd say their ok. Bindings might need some maintenance.

James

Out There
Instructor
Bindings = loss. It’s not so much the water but the grit.
Skis if rusted edges just declare a loss and assess the value based on age.

I know a shop that had to declare many many thousnads of $ worth of race skis a loss when the flood overturned the oil tank and coated all the skis with oil, ruining the bases.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My ski buddy lost a ski on a deep powder day. We found it in the summer after the snow melted. Everything was fine. He still skis the ski.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My ski buddy lost a ski on a deep powder day. We found it in the summer after the snow melted. Everything was fine. He still skis the ski.
Snowmelt isn’t salty/brackish and filled with god-knows-what-else.

@DonC I’m sorry this happened to you. Especially sucks that it occurred while you are overseas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogg

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^ Yes, it all depends on what kind of flood water

TS
DonC

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
Thanks to all replies. Based on the feedback I felt comfortable claiming them as a loss. We'll see what happens.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Two words.. water ramps.. skis and bindings are fine. Just dry them and any rust on the edges will be light enough to rub off with a scotch brite pad assuming you get to them before next year..

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Two words.. water ramps.. skis and bindings are fine. Just dry them and any rust on the edges will be light enough to rub off with a scotch brite pad assuming you get to them before next year..

Or a day of Spring skiing!
I'm sure many here have 'waterskied' on the bottom to get back on the lift! Or perhaps a full up pond skiff.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Being submerged in grimy salt water is hardly the same as a few minutes in a pool or splashing through a puddle. :rolleyes:

A lot of the manmade snow retaining pond water has a fair amount of road salt in it..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Being submerged in grimy salt water is hardly the same as a few minutes in a pool or splashing through a puddle. :rolleyes:

And being in a flooded basement for days/weeks is nothing at all like temporary immersion. Particularly next to other metals and concrete.

Reactions: Ogg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
And being in a flooded basement for days/weeks is nothing at all like temporary immersion. Particularly next to other metals and concrete.
That depends.. Folks train on water ramps all day for a week or two at a time at the camps.. Was it really flooded for days/weeks or did the water recede or get pumped out after a day or two? End of the day if insurance will replace sure, why not. But I'd probably ski them if they were mine..

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Would skis (wood core) and bindings submerged in brackish flood waters for many hours be considered damaged?

Many hrs. like in days/weeks?
IF it was less than a day then a good fresh wash flush would probably reverse the corrosion. Otherwise their toast.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Someone could dry them off, rub off the surface rust, and sell those skis on the bay and nobody would ever know... Prove me wrong..

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Someone could dry them off, rub off the surface rust, and sell those skis on the bay and nobody would ever know... Prove me wrong..
unnamed.jpg

:ogbiggrin:

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
^This. Yes, rust can and does get under both the base and sidewalls to where no grinder on the planet can salvage the ski. And yes, I have direct Hurricane Ivan experience of this.
while I'm not questioning your experience.
I think if good adhesion in ski construction rust should not travel internally. Also some but not all edges come from manufacture painted and stay painted inside the ski IMO it will take even longer to find rust inside the edges

Sponsor

Staff online