• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flying with eBike

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Is it legal to fly with an eBike? Those are some big batteries on the bikes and they aren't universal so it's not like you could leave yours at home and grab another when you get to your destination.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
American Airlines have told me no, because my Pinion bike looks like it might be an e-bike with its gearbox in the bottom bracket. Only when I explain that that thing is a gearbox not a motor do they relent.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could you ship the battery separately? I doubt it's small enough to be allowed onboard.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here are some of the parameters:

So unless you use smaller batteries, no.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

I haven't looked at e-bikes specifically, but generally anything comparable to a laptop battery or other power supply battery bricks must be carried on the plane (up to 100 W-hr). Shipping anything bigger than that is usually limited to ground transport only.

FAA regs:

Some exceptions for wheeled mobility devices (wheelchair) up to 300 W-hr.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another reason to not own an ebike..
Not for me. Since I don’t fly with my bike. And considering that the OP doesn’t have one or intends to...I Am sure it was just being a good citizen and it is a question just to help create community awareness.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Not for me. Since I don’t fly with my bike. And considering that the OP doesn’t have one or intends to...I Am sure it was just being a good citizen and it is a question just to help create community awareness.

Nope, been looking at some nice rides around Alta Badia. I think with a Creo for Bonnie it could make a nice vacation.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nope, been looking at some nice rides around Alta Badia. I think with a Creo for Bonnie it could make a nice vacation.
After all of your dissing and making fun of them? Pardon me if I show some scepticism.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
If the battery is more than 300 wh or cannot be broken down to two less than 160 then looks like you are out of luck. If this can be accomplished you need to get permission from the airline to carry them on.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

With a Creo you can fly with the main battery removed from the bike since it's too large. But you are allowed to bring two range extender batteries since they are under the limits imposed by airlines. Not convenient, expensive, but totally doable.