• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Footbed Question

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
so I have some custom footbeds I love and they work .. However when I got my new boots they had to be shortened a little so when I was cutting and sanding them to the right size I was also watching my maniac nephew and was a little distracted and took about 5MM to much of one of em and there is a slight gap between the footbed and toe of the liner ... is this a problem? should I go get some new ones made? will the universe implode ? or will I be fine ?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I shortened my skate boot footbed a bit too much. I can feel the edge under my toe. But it stays in place with respect to the heel so it's good. That's really the key. Does it stay in the right position w.r.t. the foot overall?

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
so I have some custom footbeds I love and they work .. However when I got my new boots they had to be shortened a little so when I was cutting and sanding them to the right size I was also watching my maniac nephew and was a little distracted and took about 5MM to much of one of em and there is a slight gap between the footbed and toe of the liner ... is this a problem? should I go get some new ones made? will the universe implode ? or will I be fine ?
Sometimes you won't notice it but sometimes you will... just depends on if you do. Give it a try on and go from there.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
The front?

Not a problem unless:
It annoys you OR the liner slips forward, so the correction is not in the right place. That kind of slipping usually only happens when you're putting your boots on, so pay attention then.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
One of mine got over shortened 2 years. I ended up getting a new set since my toe could feel the ridge thru my thin socks.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for the "if you don't feel it, don't sweat it" approach.

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
Yea I dont feel it per se and it does NOT bother me at all so far .. I just wanted to know if this was like a big "No-No" and based on the answers you guys have given it seems more of doesnt really matter unless its uncomfortable or really noticeable .. Thanks honestly I know this sounds cheesy but this sites community is amazing I think without all of you I would still be trying to find my Pepe Silvia ski boots ( look the name up lol )

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
a lot is personal feeling, BUT if you do feel it or it just messes with your head you can probably put a bit back on the end...... now if they are a masterfit or sidas type blank then it is fairly simple, but should be doable with any product, you might have to put a top cover material over the whole footbed