• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

For fun...ski memes. Any SKI memes.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nava used to be hip back in the '90s. Especially in France. Saw large groups at Chamonix back then. A few in the US. Not many.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Rock Skis.jpeg

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In addition to those wacky skis, there's a Nava Ski System behind them, which is also kind of wacky.... soft snow boots with an arm that winds around your leg to connect you to the ski....wild.

View attachment 151468
I saw somebody with those on a few years back and we couldn't figure out what they were. We thought they were some type of aide for bad knees.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I like the footrest to have actual black rubber/plastic/whateverthatis on it. When they're worn down to bare metal, I have to rest my skis very gingerly.

Love that video - I remember it from a while back. :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
like the footrest to have actual black rubber/plastic/whateverthatis on it. When they're worn down to bare metal, I have to rest my skis very gingerly.
When it’s like that hook your binding heels on it instead of resting skis on top. Some bindings work better than others.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I like the footrest to have actual black rubber/plastic/whateverthatis on it. When they're worn down to bare metal, I have to rest my skis very gingerly.

Love that video - I remember it from a while back. :roflmao:
They're tools not jewels. :huh: It's not like you're pulling a grind on a metal rail. If you don't move your feet too much I can't see it causing any significant damage.
When it’s like that hook your binding heels on it instead of resting skis on top. Some bindings work better than others.
I would be worried that this might cause damage to the heel piece that could effect it's function. My bases generally take much more of a beating than my bindings.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sacrilege! :geek:
When you like to ski mostly "off piste" and live in the NE you live by the premise "all skis are rock skis". :huh: That's mostly why the idea of a pair of Stocklis or any other premium brand doesn't appeal to me, no matter how good they feel. I know I'm going to eventually trash my equipment and accept it as I would with any other tool I own.

James

Out There
Instructor
I would be worried that this might cause damage to the heel piece that could effect it's function. My bases generally take much more of a beating than my bindings.
It’s not the bases, it’s the edges that can get ruined by metal footrests. You can easily tell when you work on people’s skis.
There’s no issue with the bindings unless you do something incredibly unusual. The force acts to keep the heel closed.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
They're tools not jewels. :huh: It's not like you're pulling a grind on a metal rail. If you don't move your feet too much I can't see it causing any significant damage.

Sacrilege!

It’s not the bases, it’s the edges that can get ruined by metal footrests. You can easily tell when you work on people’s skis.

I always thought it was the bases, but I was taught this by a very picky skier/ski tech and, like buckling my boots as soon as I take them off, it stuck. Along with many other rules. If my legs are very tired I rest them carefully on the metal rail. Very. Carefully.

I'm not good enough to be shredding off-piste, so my skis will (I hope) last a bit longer.

James

Out There
Instructor
Scratches on bases are fairly meaningless unless you’re a speed skier. Bases don’t need to be pristine.
This is why shops love Fischer’s bright yellow base. You can’t see a damn thing. So people don’t know when their bases have a slight scratch in them and aren’t clamoring for a base grind.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Scratches on bases are fairly meaningless unless you’re a speed skier. Bases don’t need to be pristine.
This is why shops love Fischer’s bright yellow base. You can’t see a damn thing. So people don’t know when their bases have a slight scratch in them and aren’t clamoring for a base grind.
I remember the early Head skis had a yellow base and you could really only see the deep scratches. That maybe a good thing to save the life of the base.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

"If it's not a core shot, it's just structure."

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I learn something every day here.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Gouges along the edges expose the edge to lateral forces and should be filled ASAP. They also work against a ski's ability to slide sideway. Gouges away from the edge are less significant but will also create drag if deep and not along the length of the ski.

Gouges are also a great way for shops to generate more revenue. P-tex is cheap.