• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

For you fly fishing junkies among us...

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Ended up going to Colombia for three weeks over December and into January. My son's father in law and I both fly fish so we brought our 3 wts with us. This is a little stream that we found while we were out boondocking. Caught a couple nice rainbows there.

1613424839675.png

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm lazy so I spend the 6 bucks and buy the two packs pretty regularly. However I'm also cheap so I've recently been rebuilding them if their not too far gone.

Can I suggest you try Hends Camou leaders?
Tapered leaders In lengths up to 9 meters, absolutely perfect.

Carolinacub

Skier
@Tony Storaro I took a look at them online. I'm typically using a 6 or 7x tippet on the streams I fish. I'm also not euro nymphing so they are a little long for me. Usually I've got a 9ft (3 meter ish) leader sometimes 7ft 6 inch (2.5 meter ish). My usual rods are an Orvis 9 ft 3 wt, an older Diamondback 8'6" 4 wt or a St Croix 7'6' 3/4wt. I've been thinking about doing the euro nymph style but to be honest I love the old school style way to much.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oops, Earlier I thought this was directed at me I just realized you were asking @Started at 53

No problems. This still remains as a suggestion to the euronymphing folks here. Hends are a Czech company and the Czech guys know a thing or two about euronymphing. It is not for nothing that they are 10 times team world champions in fly fishing and one member or another of heir team becomes individual champion almost every other year :ogbiggrin:

Otherwise, for dry fly I am the same- 6x or 7x tippet even going down to 9x in some extreme cases of grayling fishing. 9ft leader indeed.

Carolinacub

Skier
No problems. This still remains as a suggestion to the euronymphing folks here. Hends are a Czech company and the Czech guys know a thing or two about euronymphing. It is not for nothing that they are 10 times team world champions in fly fishing and one member or another of heir team becomes individual champion almost every other year :ogbiggrin:

Otherwise, for dry fly I am the same- 6x or 7x tippet even going down to 9x in some extreme cases of grayling fishing. 9ft leader indeed.
LOL I love light tippet fishing. I actually just threw away some 10x that was on my tippet spool that I had for probably 15 years. I may have used it once in that time. If you breathed too hard on it.....snap.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL I love light tippet fishing. I actually just threw away some 10x that was on my tippet spool that I had for probably 15 years. I may have used it once in that time. If you breathed too hard on it.....snap.

:ogbiggrin:

Yeah. You also need quite soft rod with 7x and down, preferably glass or split cane #3 or 4 although some graphite rods are quite gentle on the tippet too.

But there is no way around this. In some places I fish in Europe-Bosnia and some rivers in Slovenia for instance the graylings will not take anything bigger than 18 hook (preferably 22-24) and tippet thicker than 7x. And this-both dry and nymphs. Can be quite challenging.

Carolinacub

Skier
So our ski season is pretty much over here in WNC so it's time to transition back to fly fishing. Hitting Cataloochee Creek in the Great Smokies Mountains National Park. ( look it up). Great area to fish and it doesn't get 1/2 the pressure that most of the streams around here gets. For you fly tying guys the Palmer fly was created by the grandfather of a good friend of mine to fish on the creek that ran through their property. The creek is called Palmer Creek and if you look at the area you'll see houses and old barns and such that were part of their old homestead. The family got kicked out when the park was created.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife and I moved to Fredericksburg Virginia from the Seattle area. We are both fairly new to fly fishing. We are intrigued by the Euro Nymphing style but do not have the suggested rods. I do have lots of different weight reels with line. I just bought two 10 foot 3/4wt Nymphing rods off of Amazon that were very inexpensive to see if we like the style. Looks easier and more productive for Trout fishing in smaller streams. I am trying to learn all I can about it. It is nice that this thread is here.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are intrigued by the Euro Nymphing style but do not have the suggested rods. I do have lots of different weight reels with line. I just bought two 10 foot 3/4wt Nymphing rods off of Amazon that were very inexpensive to see if we like the style.

That's the right length/weight.

Depending on the size of fish you can go up to 10' 5# or even go totally bonkers like me and use 11,'6" , 7# switch rod-for truly extreme cases-I fish barbel up to 7-8 kilos on this. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Euronymphing can be absolutely devastating when done properly and is way more productive than traditional nymphing with a bobber.
Next you might want to add some lines to the setup.
Rio FIPS Euro Nymph is very nice.

And also-leaders. I wholeheartedly recommend Hends Camou leaders. And their Competition Indicators.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's the right length/weight.

Depending on the size of fish you can go up to 10' 5# or even go totally bonkers like me and use 11,'6" , 7# switch rod-for truly extreme cases-I fish barbel up to 7-8 kilos on this. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Euronymphing can be absolutely devastating when done properly and is way more productive than traditional nymphing with a bobber.
Next you might want to add some lines to the setup.
Rio FIPS Euro Nymph is very nice.

And also-leaders. I wholeheartedly recommend Hends Camou leaders. And their Competition Indicators.
Thanks so much for the info. I will look into the suggestions. What I could really use is some local information on where to go here in Virginia and what to use.

Carolinacub

Skier
Thanks so much for the info. I will look into the suggestions. What I could really use is some local information on where to go here in Virginia and what to use.
I can't speak directly to Virginia waters but here in NC I see plenty of people on our Delayed Harvest waters using Euro Nymph rods. My 2 cents....If you have enough room to use the rod then use it.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Shot this about a month ago, when it was still trying to winter. I know there are a few of us on here.
Never fly fished, but I think if I ever did it I would become a junkie. Cool video. I really only fish for crappie in Texas, this time of year they are in the shallow spawning, and I get in my waders and jig for them. Not as cool as as fly fishing for trout, but is kinda similar.

IMG_4857.JPG

Gotta always watch for these guys...If they just stayed in the trees/bush I would be fine, but they see you and drop into the water, that always makes me nervous lol.

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4855.JPG

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
I live next to a lake with big and small bass, walleye, crappie, cats and several others. Watching YouTube to learn to flyfish from kayak. Have no clue but jumping in when I get enough info and practice.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never fly fished, but I think if I ever did it I would become a junkie. Cool video. I really only fish for crappie in Texas, this time of year they are in the shallow spawning, and I get in my waders and jig for them. Not as cool as as fly fishing for trout, but is kinda similar.
I've fly fished for crappie. It's not that much different at the hook end: jigging a weighted silly bugger, suspending a nymph, or dry fly on top water. I love the fly fishing delivery, so quiet.

TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Tex I'll keep my bear and coyote over your rattlers... But damn I do love a good crappie frenzy.
@Plai warmwater species on a topwater bite are something pretty special unto themselves. Nothing like watching a largemouth engulf a popper.

Reactions: Tex

Sponsor

Staff online