• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FORE! How is your golf game coming?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm mostly with you on this statement. I think my address is too upright/open, my grip is too neutral. I also think my take-back is too steep (besides short).
But mostly, I think I need to get some of these kinks out of my game/swing before changing/modifying clubs. The iron fit was probably a little too early. It's only been a few outings since I restarted golfing.

That said, the shaft flex thing is really interesting... I was measured (7 iron) club head speed in upper 80's/lower 90's mph. Every chart I can find says to use a stiff shaft. The fitter wants to put me in a senior shaft (probably mostly based on age.).

I'll work on my technique for now.
90 mph 7 iron would be stiff flex. Can you maintain those club head speeds for a full 18 holes? Is your swing at that speed producing a semi accurate and semi repeatable outcome? Are you creating that speed with brute strength or through good form and release? So many things that lessons with a pro and a trackman or similar piece of equipment will answer for you. He will show you your swing from the front and the rear, start, stop, slow-mo and walk you through it from address to follow through. He’ll mark up the big screen right in front of you like a Telestrator. Let a PRO tell you you need a fitting or a different shaft not some salesman at Golf Galaxy (AKA Dick’s). A PGA pro wants you to play better golf. A club fitter at Golf Galaxy wants to sell stuff.

You’re correct to improve your technique before spending money on clubs or shafts. Seriously, see a pro for a private lesson. If you love golf and play more than several times a year then lessons are money well spent.

I’m shaking my head….sell a guy with a 90mph 7 iron a set of senior flex clubs!! You’d be all over the damn place. That would be like trying to golf with a fly rod.

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it is just shaft length and lie angles, they can be extended and adjusted easily. What’s your current shaft flex and weight?
All you need to find is stock clubs with the correct shafts, then any golf stores can adjust the lie angles for you.
You can bend forged iron’s easily, but you have to be careful with cast heads. They can break if you try to bend them too much. Then you will be sad .

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You can bend forged iron’s easily, but you have to be careful with cast heads. They can break if you try to bend them too much. Then you will be sad .
Since this seems to be the right thread, quick random question for you... do you happen to have siblings named Drive, Pitch, or Putt?

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Some afternoon clouds hanging over Lookout Mtn. Courses here in Tahoe just starting to open after their deep burial this winter
F3116245-9B49-4BCD-BB32-6E6E44D5E48C.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, I'm so jealous of these views you get to practice with!!

P.S. I have the Callaway Strata 16 piece starter set, and upgraded my driver to the Big Bertha Reva at the end of my first season because I just did not get along with the driver that came with the set. I got my driver quite cheaply though as my instructor let me use a brand new demo club for a work tournament I played in and I liked it so much I ended up buying it at the end of the season at a steep discount even though I was the only one who had ever used it. I like it much better than the original in my set. Eventually I will do the whole fitting thing, I feel like my swing is just way too inconsistent to get much out of it at this point.
I wish you were close to me so we could golf together. I feel like we're in a similar place.
My work on the grip, alignment and stance is proving to be helpful as well as a challenge.
It feels very different, yet also seems to be working.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm mostly with you on this statement. I think my address is too upright/open, my grip is too neutral. I also think my take-back is too steep (besides short).
But mostly, I think I need to get some of these kinks out of my game/swing before changing/modifying clubs. The iron fit was probably a little too early. It's only been a few outings since I restarted golfing.

That said, the shaft flex thing is really interesting... I was measured (7 iron) club head speed in upper 80's/lower 90's mph. Every chart I can find says to use a stiff shaft. The fitter wants to put me in a senior shaft (probably mostly based on age.).

I'll work on my technique for now.
Any chance you'll be back in this area some time to get on the golf course with me? I think we could have some fun getting into it together.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish you were close to me so we could golf together. I feel like we're in a similar place.
My work on the grip, alignment and stance is proving to be helpful as well as a challenge.
It feels very different, yet also seems to be working.

Me too, that would be fun!!

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While they had a group coverage available for Block all day. He hung in there on the front 9 at +2, he hit his 2nd shot on 10 from off a bridge through trees to fall just short of the green and an eventual par save. Then he hit that stretch of Colonial I mentioned in an earlier post. He bogeyed 11, 12, 13, and double bogeyed 15, 16, and 18 to finish +11 and in last place. He’ll need a remarkable day tomorrow to make the cut. I’ll be rooting for him but if he’s let the back 9 get into his head…….

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While they had a group coverage available for Block all day. He hung in there on the front 9 at +2, he hit his 2nd shot on 10 from off a bridge through trees to fall just short of the green and an eventual par save. Then he hit that stretch of Colonial I mentioned in an earlier post. He bogeyed 11, 12, 13, and double bogeyed 15, 16, and 18 to finish +11 and in last place. He’ll need a remarkable day tomorrow to make the cut. I’ll be rooting for him but if he’s let the back 9 get into his head…….
He has been under a microscope all week, I doubt he has had more than 5 hours of sleep a night let alone the ability to practice. Block showed today the difference between a club pro and the Pro Tour. I am sure his game is between today and how he played lights out last week, where all aspects of his game were clicking .. for 4 days straight. It shows how good the guys on tour are to do in week in and week out and it shows how truly hard the game is at the highest level.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He has been under a microscope all week, I doubt he has had more than 5 hours of sleep a night let alone the ability to practice. Block showed today the difference between a club pro and the Pro Tour. I am sure his game is between today and how he played lights out last week, where all aspects of his game were clicking .. for 4 days straight. It shows how good the guys on tour are to do in week in and week out and it shows how truly hard the game is at the highest level.
He’s been in a great head space if you’ve watched his interviews. He’s been swept up in a whirlwind for sure. I can’t imagine the pressure of playing in front of galleries like that. Countless people calling out your name. Catapulted to stardom. It’s a great golf story. I hope he shakes off yesterday and has a good round today. I doubt he makes the cut but that’s fine. There’s a few dozen pros that won’t make the cut either.
As soon as the tournament is over they are shutting down the Colonial for a 12 month refurbishment project. They’re going to rework the entire course. The evolution of the game has surpassed the course layout. Will be interesting to see what they do.
I used to take my project managers and superintendents to the final round of the Colonial every year. We didn’t have many days off, but I always made time for that. I’d follow that up with a golf outing the following weekend. I called it “team building” in my expense reports.
IMG_3753.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this the guy who said he'd be top ten in the world if he could hit it as far as Rory???? :nono:
Yes it is, and there isn't a touring pro that has not shot an 80 at some point. Again, considering what his week must have been like? A LOT of people are giving him slack. I expect to see him shoot a low to mid 70's score today.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When I first heard of Michael Block (last week :) ) I thought he was 36. But he's 46. If he keeps his improving game together for a few more years he could make some big bucks on the senior tour.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Block is even for the day through 10, a double and back to back birdies but still in last place. IMHO today is an impressive day in that he started on the back, the double was 13 on his 4th hole (he started on the back) than came back with birdies on 18 and 1 which shows a lot. But ... as I am typing this he doubled 2 ... lets see how he comes back from that.

Even on last Sunday with some attention being on him on the last day, that was all remote. Leading up this week, that red hot spot light was in his face and I really think that was more than anyone that is not out there week in and week out could handle.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can’t imagine the pressure of playing in front of galleries like that. Countless people calling out your name. Catapulted to stardom. It’s a great golf story. I hope he shakes off yesterday and has a good round today. I doubt he makes the cut but that’s fine. There’s a few dozen pros that won’t make the cut either
Heck, I don't even like it when Phil is watching me when I'm addressing the ball.

I called it “team building” in my expense reports.

Team building is important ;)

SkiBam

Putting on skis
Skier
His hole-in-one was definitely a highlight! As for my own golf (a game I always scoffed at and couldn't imagine myself playing until for some reason in my old age I got hooked), my goal is to be "consistently adequate." And I must confess that I'm finding even that a challenge!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Block is even for the day through 10, a double and back to back birdies but still in last place. IMHO today is an impressive day in that he started on the back, the double was 13 on his 4th hole (he started on the back) than came back with birdies on 18 and 1 which shows a lot. But ... as I am typing this he doubled 2 ... lets see how he comes back from that.
and another bogey on 3 :(. I intially thought he would shoot a mortal 74 today, he will have to shoot even for the rest of the round to get that. I still think he can.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
His hole-in-one was definitely a highlight! As for my own golf (a game I always scoffed at and couldn't imagine myself playing until for some reason in my old age I got hooked), my goal is to be "consistently adequate." And I must confess that I'm finding even that a challenge!
:roflmao:
To quote a friend in a ski lesson....
I hope to improve enough to suck at a little higher level. :)
After all, I can't get worse....or can I?

Spent a few hours yesterday at Sierra Sage Golf course on the driving range as well as the putting green.
I can see how I can improve if I put a ton of time and effort into it.

Sponsor